Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

This is a two part question. Currently I have my itunes library

This is a two part question. Currently I have my itunes library stored on an external hard drive while the software is on the desktop. When I add new music, it adds it to the folder on the external hard drive so all my music is together. the folder is about 50 GB. I want to move the itunes library to my laptop. I also want to keep a backup on the external hard drive that I'll want to backup periodically. What is the best way to do both of those tasks?

Hello Debbie! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. To change/move the iTunes library from one drive to another (in this case from the external hard drive to the Music -> iTunes folder of the laptop's C: hard drive), you would go to the Edit menu on the top in iTunes program, then go to the Preferences... option, then click on the Advanced tab, then enable the option to keep the iTunes media folder organized, then change the iTunes media folder location. You can see the full instructions at the website below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364

To back up your iTunes library to the external hard drive, you just need to copy the iTunes folder; please see full details at
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751

Please let me know if there is still any issue. You can click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further as needed. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Viet. I will try those steps and let you know. To connect my laptop to the external drive, do i need to do anything besides plug it into a USB port?

You're welcome. If your external drive does not require a power cable, then you only need to plug the USB cable to the USB port. You just connect / use your external hard drive normally like you were using it previously.

Please take your time. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I'm stuck. I downloaded itunes to my laptop, so it's empty. The location of the library is already set to where I want it. It's not automatically pulling the songs from the hard drive (not sure if it's supposed to). Do I need to connect it to the folder in the external hard drive first, then move it? Or, can I just use Windows explorer and move the folder from the external drive to the new location on the laptop?

Sorry, I thought you already have iTunes program installed and working on your computer already. Yes, please set the location to the external drive first, then try the steps again, so it will copy. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

You're welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't find "consolidate library" in version 11, but I did find "organize library" . Do you think that is the same thing?

Yes, consolidate and organize mean the same thing. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should something automatically happen?

When you set the media folder location to the external hard drive, was it able to import your library, i.e., can you play your songs? Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nothing happened.

Sorry, are you able to use Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon)?

Can we do a screen sharing session, so I can check and fix this issue directly for you?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm using Chrome right now, but I'll close out and reopen in IE. That would be fantastic! Thanks.

Please go to the website below in Internet Explorer and allow the ScreenConnect sharing program to run:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=219941f8-b7d4-4121-8ded-e754a7ca7583

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just keeps saying that it's not responding. a notice popped up that a program was trying to access my computer and I hit allow, but it still keeps crashing. I'll try to reboot and try again.

OK, make sure to use Internet Explorer. And try any other option it gives you as needed. Thanks.

I have resolved the issue via remote support. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Please rate my service below. Thank you very much.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-itstuff/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, one more quick question Viet. I wasn't thinking that I wouldn't be able to see the chat again. Can you repeat the instructions for backing up to external hard drive?

Sorry about that. To backup, click on Start, then click on Music, then right-click on the iTunes folder, then click on Copy
, then open the external drive, then paste it.

Thank you