Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography

while adding tunes and albums to a flash drive on my 27 in

while adding tunes and albums to a flash drive on my 27 in IMac it crashed , to close down I had to hold down the power button , as soon as I rebooted it crashed again ,I tried many times to restart but crashed each time. I then tried the Protection Plan Disc TechTool Deluxe without a response . Hoping that you can help me James xxxxxx

Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you know which version of OS X you are running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

type app-iMac/emac

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

agreement enrolment no 801029520530358

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
When did you purchase your Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joyce of Wexford ,

My IMac was recalled for a replacement hard drive a few months ago , had no trouble with it before then .

I have had a number crashes lately

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1st July 10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1st July 2010

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay I was unexpectedly called away. Did apple make the repairs themselves? Also do you have the original restore discs that came with your Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes at Compub store , Pavilion Shopping Centre .Swords. co Dublin.

I have Disc Mac os x install DVD . and applications Install DVD.

IWork install DVD.

Which do I use Please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have decided to return it to Compub Store

Thank you for your help.

Yours sincerely

James xxxxxxx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. I got in touch with Compub who carried the Hard Drive replacement, they said it may be a hard drive problem and that I should bring back to them. Thank you again for your help. James xxxxxx

Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,
Before you bring it in to CompuB (who may charge you as you are now outside your 3year warranty) try and repair it with the original install DVD you have. Put it in and restart the mac holding down the C key. When it starts up open the "disk utility" program. Then highlight your disk on the left hand side panel and click "repair disk" and "repair disk permissions". Let us know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the install dvd and it still crashed on start up it just would not respond.

Thank you very much

J xxxxxx

Try holding down the shift key while it starts up, which would normally start it in safe mode (it might not work with your mac but its worth a try).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel

At the moment your suggestion to hold down the shift key, might be working, I am able to work on the screen as there is a lot of iTunes i.e. albums that where meant to go on the Flash Drive but failed,

there is quite a heap of them to shift ,if you have quick way of doing it I would be grateful as I am Shure they were they cause of the problem from the start.

Thats great. If the albums are in iTunes then the easiest way might be to go to your users folder-music-itunes-itunes music where it will list the artist albums. Select which ones you want and drag them to your flash drive to make a copy. Make sure your flash drive has enough space if you have a lot of albums.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The albums are all over the screen instead of going into the flash drive,

I have been trying to remove them one by one into trash ,Is there a way of getting them on to a flash drive it would great if I could.

What do you think Daniel PS The albums never went on to the flash drive in the place ,that was the cause of the problem in the first place.

Just want to check with you, when you say they are all over the screen do you mean they are on the desktop of the mac in folders? When you plug your flash drive in to the mac does it show up? Do you have anything else on the flash drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all over desktop in single iTune music symbols ,the desktop is completely

covered with them ,each one represents a tune and there are hundreds

of them, and I thought they were going on to the flash drive at the time

OK, you select multiple files in two ways. Either hold down the command key (has the apple symbol on it) and select each one you want OR go to the top left of the desktop and click, hold, drag over the area you want and then let go and that will select whatever you have dragged over. Once you have selected them you can drag them to your flash drive or anywhere else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it will be a slow process since al the symbols represent an album
unless I am doing it wrong ,I don't think so, I will continue there does not seem to be an easy way out

Thank you very much Daniel

Yes, if you have hundreds of albums it may take a while to copy to a flash drive. Please rate my service as Excellent, Good or OK. Thank you.
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography