Matthew Gill
Matthew Gill, Computer Science Teacher
Experience:  I've programmed, edited images and video, and extended the Mac experience. I also read several Mac blogs.

I am a Mac user using a new iMac 27 and trying to make all

Customer Question

I am a Mac user using a new iMac 27 and trying to make all my devices sync with iCloud. Ihave an iPhone 4S and an IPad. I think I need help setting up my accounts to sync. I can get notes, and calendars to sync but can't get contacts to sync to the iMac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Matthew Gill replied 1 year ago.

Matthew Gill :

Hello. my name is XXXXXXX, XXX I'd like to help you with your problem today.

Matthew Gill :

Can you please verify that the iCloud account that you are attempting to sync to is entered in the [Accounts] tab under (Apple)->Preferences, when you are using the 'Conacts' Application

Matthew Gill :

Furthermore, if the account is there, click the 'Edit Account' button, and then the iCloud button (under the blue @ image) Ensure that the 'Contacts' checkbox is checked.

Customer :

Yes Matthew the contacts are checked as on

Matthew Gill :

Are the contacts available at: https://www.icloud.com/#contacts

Customer :

Yes they are all there

Matthew Gill :

To clarify, when a contact is updated on the ipad or iphone, the contacts sync, but not when they are updated on the iMac

Matthew Gill :

Ensure that the Default account is set to iCloud, under Preferences->General, in the Contacts Application

Matthew Gill :

Also, ensure that the contacts that are not syncing are not contacts that reside 'On My Mac'. These contacts won't sync unless they reside in the iCloud group

Customer :

Contacts when entered on the iMac push to the iPad and the iPhone. However when a contact is entered on the iphone or iPad it is not pushed to the imac.

Matthew Gill :

I see, I had it reversed

Matthew Gill :

one moment

Matthew Gill :

Alright, so on the iDevices: under Preferences>iCloud, Contacts is set to on

Matthew Gill :

Preferences>Mail,Contacts, and Calendars, the iCloud account is there, and has the Contacts set to on

Customer :

Yes

Matthew Gill :

Try deleting the iCloud account from the iDevice

Matthew Gill :

Under Preferences>iCloud, tap Delete Account, then yes, then Delete From iPhone(iPad) :: It will delete data, so backup if you need to

Customer :

Should I delete from the iPad as well?

Matthew Gill :

Only data that it is pulling from iCloud

Matthew Gill :

Lets see if this fixes it first

Customer :

Ok I deleted the info on the iPhone

Matthew Gill :

I've done this on my devices, and it worked

Matthew Gill :

under the contacts App, click group

Matthew Gill :

What does it say?

Customer :

Under the accounts there are 3 listed google telus and personal calendar.

Matthew Gill :

Under Contacts>Groups?

Matthew Gill :

Not under preferences

Customer :

Are you talking Mail Contacts Groups

Matthew Gill :

No, the Contacts Application

Matthew Gill :

I just want to verify that the contacts have been removed. If there are still contacts there then they were not iCloud contacts that were being modified

Customer :

Ok would they be from gmail?

Customer :

I could not find groups on the iphone contacts app.

Matthew Gill :

Possibly, there is a button at the top of the Contact application that says groups

Matthew Gill :

it will say which groups are active, and only iCloud groups are synced. If all groups are displayed, then you could edit contacts from facebook twitter or google, but they wont show up in iCloud

Customer :

There is a button that says all contacts

Matthew Gill :

Nothing under that?

Customer :

No

Matthew Gill :

Alright, so this means there are no other accounts set to receive contacts. Tap 'Done' at the top, are there any contacts displayed?

Customer :

Yes all 265 of them

Matthew Gill :

ok, so then the contacts were not being pulled from iCloud, since iCloud is removed from the device

Matthew Gill :

On the groups tab, does it have a checkmark next to ?All on My Iphone"?

Customer :

I can't find the groups tab on the contacts app on the iPhone

Matthew Gill :

Ok, try this. go to the home screen and push the home button to get to the search

Customer :

ok

Matthew Gill :

Search for 'Cont' and tap 'Contacts System"

Matthew Gill :

At the top left there should be a Groups Button

Matthew Gill :

If not, what does the top bar say?

Customer :

Is this on the imac or the iPhone?

Customer :

What if i restore the iPhone?

Customer :

I press phone on the main screen on the iPhone. The next screen is my contact screen there is no button saying groups.

Matthew Gill :

everything we are doing is on the iphone

Customer :

yes, I checked the iPad and it has a red tab saying groups. but not on te iphone

Matthew Gill :

thats interesting... it should, but oh well. Give me a moment

Customer :

Sorry Matthew I have to leave for about an hour but I'll keep this open.

Matthew Gill :

ok

Matthew Gill :

Turn your phone off, then on again. Go into System Preferences>iCloud and log into your iCloud account. Now go to the Contacts App, if there is a Group Button tap it. Ensure that only the iCloud setting is checked (uncheck the 'All on My Iphone' setting). Press 'Done' and ensure you can see your contacts. Try editing one of them, and check the Mac to see if they have synced. It may take a minute or two to pull the contacts and sync them.

Matthew Gill :

I anticipate that the 256 contacts are stored on the iPhone only. Possibly the phone has been merging the duplicate contacts, but if the previous method works then do it on the iPad and see if it works for it as well

Customer :

Ok Matthew i'm back. So we delete the contacts in the i pad as well then follow the same procedure for the iPad?

Matthew Gill :

did it work on the phone?

Customer :

Yes it did Matthew. I seem to be having a problem with ical now. Would you be able to help me with the settings in that as well

Matthew Gill :

possibly, can you describe the problem with iCal?

Customer :

I think I have used the wrong settings involving the number of calendars. Again the same problem it will push to the devices but not to the imac.

Matthew Gill :

in the calendar app on the iphone, when you tap calendars on the top left, what is listed

Matthew Gill :

Also, check the Accounts tab under Apple>Preferences in the Calendar App on the Mac

Matthew Gill :

make sure iCloud exists, is enabled, and is set to update via 'Push'

Customer :

Personal Calendar, with my e mail address below it. Then iCloud the list is as follows; All I cloud , calendar, work, other events ,home. then other - birthdays

Matthew Gill :

Disable the non-icloud calendars, and then tap Done,

Matthew Gill :

pick a day in the future, and create an event, it doesn't matter what the event is

Matthew Gill :

Also, go to the Preferences>Mail,Contacts and Calendars, and set the default Calendar to one of the icloud calendars

Matthew Gill :

Open the Calendar App on the Mac, make sure that the iCloud Calendars are located on the left sidebar, and add an event on the phone

Matthew Gill :

you may have to switch to Month view on the Mac

Matthew Gill :

does it sync the event?

Customer :

When I make an entry it is made with this personal calendar with the default as my email address. This shows up on t he Ipad and iPhone but not on the calendar on the Mac?

Matthew Gill :

Go back into the caalendar app on the phone and uncheck it. Apparently if you don't switch the default calendar before you make an event, even if you uncheck it, it will still go to the default calendar

Matthew Gill :

the old default calendar

Customer :

When I make an entry on either the Iphone or the iPad it goes to the default Personal Calendar with my email address. The entries are pushed between the devices but not the iMac even though i uncheck it in the settings, I also have been receiving notices from gmail about the entries made in the devices?

Matthew Gill :

Ok. The default calendar on the iDevices are the google calendar. You could also add the google account on the Mac's Calendar Program under Apple>Preferences>Accounts

Matthew Gill :

Then the devices will sync

Customer :

Ok

Matthew Gill :

Or, all of the other settings can be changed to default to iCloud instead of Google. Whichever you'd prefer, they just all need to be the same.

Matthew Gill :

If there are any more questions, please let me know, otherwise please leave the feedback you feel is accurate regarding my handling of this situation. Thank you for your time, you've been fantastic to assist!

Matthew Gill :

Have a good day! Please do not forget to leave the rating you feel is most accurate. Thank you!

Matthew Gill :

Hello. The question remains open. If there are no further questions please take the time to leave feedback, so that the question may be closed.

Matthew Gill :

Thank you

Matthew Gill :

Hello. I hope you've gotten the sync working. This question is still open. if you are satisfied with the answer and service that I've rendered, please leave appropriate feedback. Thank you.

Matthew Gill :

Please leave the appropriate feedback regarding my answering of this question so that the system may close the question. Thank you.