John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

If my iphone encountered some pool water and later connected

Customer Question

If my iphone encountered some pool water and later connected to itunes on recovery mode, does that mean the water dried or should i still keep it in the dry rice?

The incident happened around 30 hours ago, it didnt fall in the pool but a friend had dropped some water on it somehow (while it was on the couch) - its got a case so i assume the water entered from the top filter.

My photos are not entirely backed up because i was in the middle of uploading them to dropbox, it took weeks and only took half of my "camera uploads".
My apps are from two different icloud accounts so i never synced them, but i just downloaded them onto my laptop now... however, I also have some voicenotes in Tinyvox that are important, which makes them appdata that probably did not get saved inside the app on my laptop. Also id like to save the notes and contacts.
----Which is why I am hesitant in trying the restore option on iTunes.

As for plugging it to the power socket, it stays on the apple logo then goes black, then apple logo again then goes black again etc. If i hold the home button down, it sometimes opens the phone and i could go through it, but the top left corner said "searching...", no wireless or any service (meaning i can't email anything), and the date was off, and the battery says its on a 100 which shouldn't be the case as it was 0 when the water spilled. after a few minutes it freezes.
I also tried making a windows computer recognize it as if it were a usb device so i can reclaim my photos but it didn't work.

I saw a youtube video that said the recboot app takes it out of recovery mode, i wonder if i were to do that, will it take it back to the "searching..." slow and quick-to-freeze fragile state or is that just the recovery-mode version of a plugged-in-socket iphone? Should i give it a try or would it lower my chances?
OR should i just restore it and try an app that recovers a formatted iphone?

Please help,
Thank you,
-Meera
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

In the tragic event of getting something like a phone wet the outcome is rarely good. However, the chances greatly depend on how quickly you take action. While liquid damage is completely dictated on a case by case basis, at least part of the time, it can be fixed as long as you don't wait too long before and don't do anything to damage the device further.

While any kind of liquid can damage electronics, some are more severe than others. Acidic substances (such as OJ, soda, beer, etc ) can eat away at delicate electronic components and failure rates with these type of liquids is much higher than coming into contact with water. Chemicals in pool water may be a consideration, as well.

If the iPhone was exposed to water in the last day then it is VERY unlikely the phone has completely dried out.

Turn the phone off and continue reading.

Things you should NOT do:

Do NOT try to turn it on again for the moment as this may cause further damage.

Do NOT plug it into your charger. you can short circuit the logic board or other internal components. The more you try to turn it on and use it during this important window of treatment increases the likelihood of further damage.

Do NOT use heat (such as a hair dryer or heater) to further the drying process as they may contribute to further failure.

Things you SHOULD DO:

All iPhones, iPads, and iPods have water sensors in them. You can check the dock connector, headphone jack or SIM slot with a flashlight to see if the sensors are triggered. The sensors should be white. If they have turned red, liquid has gotten into one of the ports at the very least.

React fast. If you value the device, get in contact with a reputable repair facility immediately. If you absolutely can not afford a repair and the device has ONLY come into contact with plain water, you may try the following.

Enclose the device in a plastic bag with a cup or two of dry, uncooked white rice. It's important that you leave it in there for AT LEAST 48 to 72 hours or more in order to pull the moisture out of the internal components and into the rice. Even a drop of moisture can cause erratic behavior or ruin the device.

There is nothing you can do to guarantee full functionality and little more you can do, personally, to further improve the situation at this point in time but to wait and see if the phone works once it is completely dry.

Professional service is alays preferred but the above may save devices with minimal contact to water.

Since this is not a software issue, attemting recovery or the use ofr ecovery apps while the iPhone is still wet or damaged may lead to complete data loss.

Please note: I can provide expert advice and information only - not for the successful repair of your iPhone. When troubleshooting electronic issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to tell me what it means when I plugged it into the socket and was able to access my phone for a few minutes before it froze?

Also, we do not have any experienced technicians in the house right now but i wonder if its a good idea to disassemble the phone. (service centers closed at the moment)

If my phone is in recovery mode does this mean the water has dried up?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Meera, the phone is liable to act oddly (able to access my phone for a few minutes before it froze) because it is either wet or damaged.

I would not recommend trying to open the phone at this point. Best to follow the recommended procedure for 48-72 hours until a tech can look at it if needed. You would not be able to manually dry the phone yourself completely anyway.

The phone will be in recovery mode simply because of internal issues, this may be water or more longterm issue but you won't really know until the 72 hour mark has passed.

Hope that helps,