Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

My G4 power mac tower wont power up. Ive been having problems

Customer Question

My G4 power mac tower won't power up. I've been having problems starting for a while so don't turn it off but we just had a power-out and am trying to re-boot it. I can hear the click of something (relay?) but no start. I hold the start button down to get the relay to re-set and press the button to start and hear the click again but to no avail. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Check and reply me the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already done all that prior to asking the question.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Remove every devices attached to the system (like Printer External Drives etc), except Keyboard and mouse. Then follow the steps in my previous answer. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing happens

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Is there power light is ON, on the system and the fans inside it running ?

regards
Jins
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
If you are technically capable to do, open the system and Remove the hard disk. Then try to start the system. If it shows the screen, you need to replace your hard disk. If you didn't get the display even now, please contact nearest apple center.

I strongly believe; that power surge damaged your hard disk. Sometimes the motherboard also may have problems, so please contact nearest apple center.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it has something to do with the power supply. I'm sorry I had to give you a poor service but I'm not satisfied with the answers and you weren't able to help me so I don't want to pay the $58.00.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry sir, If you hear tick tick sound most probably it is from the hard disk. If HD's circuit board burnt, system will not start. Also, there is a chance for power supply burn as you said. A burnt capacitor or another component may the cause of that tick tick sound. I forgot to mention that, sorry again. I asked before " Is there power light is ON, on the system and the fans inside it running ? " and I didn't yet recieved a reply for that. If the answer for those questions is YES power supply is good in most cases. If so remove hard disk and check the result. If the answer for those questions is NO the problem is with power supply. You need to change it first to check weather other parts are affected or not.

You need not rate an answer as poor or bad, if you are not satisfied with the service. If you need your money back, just contact onXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Customer satisfaction is our policy and you will get your money back.

Regards
Jins