Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

my cursor is stuck in the top left-hand corner, my touchpad

Customer Question

my cursor is stuck in the top left-hand corner, my touchpad is unresponsive.

This is an older MacBook Pro (silver keyboard) running Snow Leopard, 10.6 (exactly which update I'm not sure). I plugged in a USB mouse, no good. Tried inserting system disc, holding down CMD key during re-boot (booted, but it didn't seem to go to the system disc to boot, seemed to be booting from the hard drive); have tried the previous fix holding down "C"; have tried holding down "CMD OPT P and R" during reboot. nothing. Help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

you will need the utility cd to restore the cursor function

ErnestAgyare :

is there a reason you are rating me while i am still assisting you?

Customer :

It seemed as though the requirement for the "utility disk" was all I was going to get.

Customer :

Is the utility disc separate from the system disc?

Customer :

I will be going offline now for a couple of hours. Please let me know how to get back in touch with you.

ErnestAgyare :

no it is the same you need to insert it and press c while booting up please dont RATE ME till i am satisfied

ErnestAgyare :

you are satisfied*

Customer :

If you read what I wrote in my description, you'll see that I tried that.

Customer :

I'm sorry if I have negatively affected your job rating, but $58 is a lot and I can't afford to lose it. If Just Answer can't solve my problem, I am loath to lose my deposit.

ErnestAgyare :

give me a chance to assist you please

Customer :

As I said, I have to go offline now. Please let me know how to get back in touch with you. later

ErnestAgyare :
  • Locate the "Fn" key in the lower right or left corner of the laptop

Full Size Image
    keyboard. The "Fn" key typically has different colored text on it or the key itself is a different color.

• 2

Locate the function (F1 through F12) key at the top of the keyboard that disables or enables the touchpad on the laptop. The key typically has an icon that resembles a touchpad with a finger touching it or a touchpad with a diagonal line through it.

• 3

Press both the "Fn" and touchpad Function key simultaneously to reactive the touchpad on your laptop

Full Size Image
    . Move your finger along the touchpad to verify that it works. Press the combination at any time to disable the touchpad again.

ErnestAgyare :

also reset you pram

ErnestAgyare :

To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

Customer :

Please let me know how to get back to this later. I have tried to reset the PRAM and nothing happened (it just re-booted). I don't have a function key that has the touchpad icon.

ErnestAgyare :

use the regular fn key