John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

iPhoto shows no pictures but the pictures are on the harddisk.

Customer Question

iPhoto shows no pictures but the pictures are on the harddisk. All albums appear empty.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

Please do an update

Customer :

hi

Customer :

you gave an answer? I can't see it (first time using this site)

ErnestAgyare :

can you please do an update for iphoto

Customer :

ah! will try that

ErnestAgyare :

i will be on standby

Customer :

if needed you can ask stuff to do on the shell prompt. I may not be a good mac user, but I'm expert in everything unix. Just helping a friend here get his iPhoto running again. Update is running... (I will also set up time machine, that would have avoided the situation)

ErnestAgyare :

no problem please let me know if it works

Customer :

Hi. after update, photos in trash are now visible. But the rest has not changed: all albums are empty and listing all phtos also shows nothing

ErnestAgyare :

do you see the photos when you go to macintosh hd on you desktop and click images?

Customer :

yes. they are shown

Customer :

as I said. pictures are on the disk, but iPhoto forgot about them

ErnestAgyare :

please simply either press command + a to highlight all the pictures or press command and click on the pictures you are speaking off....after you are done...open iphoto and simply drag them into iphoto

Customer :

will they be classed again into the existing albums?

ErnestAgyare :

no

Customer :

booo :-(

Customer :

no other way? because the albums are still there

ErnestAgyare :

im sorry when you mean classed can you elaborate

ErnestAgyare :

you can drag them into any album you desire and it will be in iphoto

Customer :

I have an album called "holidays gran canaria 2011" which appears empty

ErnestAgyare :

drag it into that album

Customer :

there has been a lot of work to put all pictures into all these albums

Customer :

I have no idea which picture was in which album

ErnestAgyare :

i cant help you with that part ...only you will know that picture

ErnestAgyare :

did you use you time machine at anypoint

Customer :

well iPhoto knew it too.

ErnestAgyare :

unfortunately that is the only way but if you want a second opinion from an expert i can opt out...i am currently on a mac and had to do that a few weeks ago

Customer :

I will try to find out if the internal database of iPhoto still retains some infos of the photo classification. if you could point me to the relevant files, that would be nice.

ErnestAgyare :

im sorry im confused

Customer :

ans one of your collegues then

ErnestAgyare :

so you want me to opt out

ErnestAgyare :

also which version iphoto do you have

Customer :

9.2.3 (629.52)

ErnestAgyare :

when you have iphoto on and you click view is hidden pictures checked?

Customer :

nothing changes if I uncheck or chek it.

ErnestAgyare :

i have another colleague here and he suggested the same thing i told...if you are dissatisfied pLEASE DONT RATE ME ..i will opt out

Customer :

ok

Customer :

please opt out

Customer :

if I go to iPhoto Library/Albums and list content of binary file "holidays in gran canaria 2011-Data" I can see which pictures were in that album. That was the info I was looking for. I found it on myself. I won't rate this as long as I don't get charged.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you still need assistance getting the photo data back into iPhoto?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no help needed anymore. Google was faster providing an answer :-)

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Thanks and good luck!