Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER

Hi - i just tried updating my imac 8.1 to snow leopard - all

Hi - i just tried updating my imac 8.1 to snow leopard - all went well until reboot, and now wont do anything. id already upgraded the ram - i have 5 gb. any ideas? my plan was to update to Mountain Lion once i had snow leopard installed.

cheers
Paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

can you see the desktop

Customer:

i am in front of it - i have apple icon and timer icon spinning around

ErnestAgyare :

do you have the snow leopard

ErnestAgyare :

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Customer:

yes - however, the disc is in the imac

Customer:

sorry - i only read the first line - i will try now

ErnestAgyare :

thats will reset the PRAM

ErnestAgyare :

after that try rebooting for the installer cd

Customer:

have done so - still giving me the same screen tho. it definately started twice

ErnestAgyare :

is it rebooting from the disc?

ErnestAgyare :

Also you could clear the PRAM, hold Command-Option-P-R all at once just after startup, hold them until you heard the startup sound for three times and release.
Have you tried to startup in Safe mode, hold the Shift key at startup.

Customer:

the snow leopard disc is in the imac - however, i cannot hear any normal working drive noises

ErnestAgyare :

try booting in safe mode with the instructions i provided

Customer:

ok - im seeing some action

ErnestAgyare :

ok please let me know what happens

Customer:

unfortunately no change. have tried the 3x restart and the safe mode. cant seem to get passed the grey screen

ErnestAgyare :

Insert the Snow Leopard disk again and instead of installing again choose Disk Utility, then first repair the disk, if it is green nothing was repaired, you could first verify disk and if this turns OK nothing was wrong.
Then after this there is also a repair permissions option, click on it and it will repair permissions

Customer:

how do i get the snow leopard disk out of the imac - eject button doesnt do it?

ErnestAgyare :

hold it down for a few seconds

Customer:

nothing im afraid

ErnestAgyare :

please standby

ErnestAgyare :

do you have the utility disk

Customer:

the only disk i have is the snowleopard installation disk

ErnestAgyare :

and its stuck in the imac

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

Restart the computer while holding down the mouse/trackpad button.

ErnestAgyare :

see if it pops open

ErnestAgyare :

did it work

ErnestAgyare :

also please check the brightness and see if its turned low

Customer:

no it didnt work - screen seems pretty bright

ErnestAgyare :

this is strange i will try one more thing then i will opt out and let other expert take a shot

ErnestAgyare :

please stand by

ErnestAgyare :

reboot and hold command r and tell me what hapens

ErnestAgyare :

hello are you there

Customer:

yep - nothing happens

ErnestAgyare :

ok try restarting and hold c while it is booting up it should try and boot from the cd

Customer:

command c or just c

ErnestAgyare :

just c

ErnestAgyare :

did it work

Customer:

making different sounds but still same screen

ErnestAgyare :

its suppose to boot from the cd...

ErnestAgyare :

try it again

Customer:

ok i finally have a different screen - something is happening!!!

ErnestAgyare :

ok

ErnestAgyare :

what do you see

Customer:

now comes with box asking where i want to install ox10 - harddrive is the option

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

re-install it

Customer:

says this will take about 44 minutes

ErnestAgyare :

thats about right you should be fine after that ...

ErnestAgyare :

please feel free to contact me if you need additional help and remember ONLY RATE me if you were satisfied with my help

Customer:

can i start this chat again in hour or so if i have further issues

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

do you want to wait till it is done before you rate....that is absolutely fine with me but i will have to step out of the chat for a while

Customer:

yep - ill wait

Customer:

cheers

Customer:

hi - same thing has happened following installation.

Customer:

if i do c button start up again - can i go back to original version with my backup?

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER