Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

I have a documents crisis. I was working on a long document

I have a 'documents' crisis. I was working on a long document that I had saved. I went to cut / paste something into it and somehow the whole document appears to have been deleted. I have been doing this regularly and don't know what I did differently. Is there a way to retrieve this document?
I am using Safari---macbook
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

is the document still open and did you save it before cuting and pasting

Customer:

I did save it before cutting & pasting----the document is still open as far as the blank page which I saved.

Customer:

BTW---I don't want to use chat-please switch to email.

ErnestAgyare :

did you try to hit the undo button

Customer:

I don't know where / what that is.

ErnestAgyare :

its under the edit button if you have word open

Customer:

not using word-using 'pages' on safari

ErnestAgyare :

oh my goodness....so let me guess..you had a document...that was sent to you as an attachment...you clicked opened instead of save...and it opened in safari

ErnestAgyare :

?

Customer:

no----I was creating a document in 'pages' and opened it to cut & paste something into it and when I went to paste it deleted it.

ErnestAgyare :

did you at anytime open word?

Customer:

word was not involved in any way.

ErnestAgyare :

so what program did you open the document with ...if you opened it in safari...then no changes can be made to it

Customer:

Ok---I use safari. Within safari I created a document using 'pages.' I kept it in 'documents' which is in safari. I opened the document to cut and paste from a document online. When I went to paste----the document I have been using disappeared as if deleted---but I did not hit 'delete'. I need to retrieve it.

ErnestAgyare :

what did you name the document

ErnestAgyare :

what im trying to say is that unless you saved it to a network or to your hard drive....the document is not save so more than likely it is gone....now if you saved it under a name ...we can do a search for it

Customer:

I saved it under a name- Gastric Milieu Anatomy Notes I saved it in 'documents'

ErnestAgyare :

so when you go there do u still see the document

Customer:

I see the document but it is blank. It obviously appears that I deleted it----but it had been saved prior to trying to cut & paste into it.

ErnestAgyare :

yes then unfortunately the document has been deleted

ErnestAgyare :

if it was on the actual hard drive it would have been easy to recovr

Customer:

there is a way to retrieve it------it happened once before when I deleted all of my documents. I don't know what it means but an 'Alias' was created.

ErnestAgyare :

unfortunately you cant and i have a link from apples website to prove it if you would like

ErnestAgyare :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2180731?start=0&tstart=0

ErnestAgyare :

please let me know if you need additional information

ErnestAgyare :

only rate me when you are satisfied

Customer:

ok---I will go back to the source that did it before-thanks

ErnestAgyare :

if you are not i can opt out

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER