Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER

I have created an movie using iMovie and I am ready to burn

Customer Question

I have created an movie using iMovie and I am ready to burn it to a DVD but when I go to Share>iDVD a window pops up saying "The project could not be prepared for publishing because an error occurred (-50) What do I do now? I also have one other question - Can I used blank DVD-R discs to burn my movie or do I need DVD+R?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

Error -50 stands for incorrect export parameter.

Try different export format, bit rate, or resolution.

Customer:

Which would you do first? and how deo I do that?

ErnestAgyare :

the export format

ErnestAgyare :

or you can reinstall imovie also or update to a newer version

ErnestAgyare :

have you done a system update

Customer:

No, I'd like to try your first suggestion first. How do I choose a different bit rate or resolution?

ErnestAgyare :

please do an update first because if its an old version changing the format might not help

Customer:

OK, how do I do that?

ErnestAgyare :

please open i movie

Customer:

It's open...

ErnestAgyare :

on the top next to the apple sign you will see the imovie tab click on it and you will see check for updates

Customer:

I am having difficulties connecting to the internet.

ErnestAgyare :

you dont have an internet connection?

Customer:

I DO have internet connection. I'm typing to you one one computer and my mac is sitting next to me. I'm at work and my Mac is used mostly at home. So I just logged onto the inter net but when I hit iMovie>Check for Updates - I get "The iMovie update server could not be contacted. please check your internet connection or try again later."

ErnestAgyare :

it should connect restart and try it

Customer:

I can see that I'm on the internet - but still I get that message!

ErnestAgyare :

this is the upgrade http://www.apple.com/ilife/

ErnestAgyare :

what version imovie do you have

Customer:

When I'm on Safari I typed that address in and I'm there now.

Customer:

So now what do I do?

ErnestAgyare :

this is the specific download for imovie 11

ErnestAgyare :

http://apple-imovie-11.en.softonic.com/mac

ErnestAgyare :

click dowlaod

Customer:

Wait ... I'm at the site you sent me to. Do you want me to now type in the site you mention above and click download?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I just clicked "Download"

ErnestAgyare :

is it downloading?

Customer:

I can see it downloading. The file is called "iMovie9-0-9 Update.dmg" Is that right? It says about 10 minutes remaining.

ErnestAgyare :

yes

Customer:

ok

ErnestAgyare :

after that go to your downloads and install it

ErnestAgyare :

i will be on standby and try to burn again should work

Customer:

Sorry for being such a "newbe". But how do do that? Do I click on the download itself ?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

do you know how to access you downloads?

Customer:

It is done. Now you'd like me to install it. I have a window open where I watched it download into, that says "Downloads" at the top and I see it there now. Should I click on it to install it or what?

ErnestAgyare :

yes install

Customer:

Now I have a window that says "Alert this update requires Mac OS X 10.7.4 or later. To update your system software, choose Apple menu> Software update.!!

ErnestAgyare :

yes please do the update

Customer:

Will that cost me anything?

ErnestAgyare :

no

Customer:

ok

Customer:

It says it is checking for new software

ErnestAgyare :

yes it will install it after that and then you will need to install you latest imovie

Customer:

Says "Installing 3 items"

Customer:

While we've got a minute - can I use DVD-R to burn my DVD, or do I need DVD+R?

ErnestAgyare :

im confused as to what you are asking me ...they will both burn

Customer:

How do I find my Downloads?

ErnestAgyare :

click on your mac hd you shoud see downloads

ErnestAgyare :

it is also an icon next to you trash

Customer:

Its not next to the trash and believe it or not I can't find the mach HD!!

ErnestAgyare :

its on you desk top

ErnestAgyare :

is says macintosh hd

ErnestAgyare :

you can also place you cursor on each icon next to the imovie icon on the bottom one should say download

Customer:

I have 2 users of this computer. One is mine and one is for my kids. The movie and all the work we've done so far is don on my kids part of the computer. Do I need to be back on My/ administrator part of the computer or does it not matter?

ErnestAgyare :

yes the admin side to install anything

ErnestAgyare :

so please install on the admins side

Customer:

OK - I am now redoing things on the Administrators side. I have gone to apple menu>software updates and then I will redownload the iMoive 11. Can you send me the web site again for iMovie 11?

ErnestAgyare :

Customer:

One more minute

ErnestAgyare :

ok

Customer:

OK Apple menu> Software update - said no new updates at this time. Then I Installed iMovie 11 and then double clicked on the download and then double clicked on the little bcardboard box that came up and then I get "this update requires Mac )S X 10.7.4 or later ... What now?

Customer:

That should be "This update requires Mac OS X 10.7.4 or later..."

ErnestAgyare :

i thought u did the mac update

Customer:

I went to the little Apple in the upper left hand corner (is that the Apple Menu?) and clicked "Software update" I have don't that several times now and now I get "there are no up dates for you at this time" Previously when I did it I was not on the admin side, and it did download 3 items. Are you sure this will get me this new OS?

Customer:

As you said - I am now doing everything on the admin. side.

Customer:

My current iMovie project is on the "Kids" side, just so you know.

Customer:

Under "About this Mac" it says I have: Mac OS X version 10.6.8 - Just so you know.

ErnestAgyare :

yes you will need to update your operating system to 10.7.4

ErnestAgyare :

click on the apple above to your left and click software update

Customer:

I have done this SEVERAL times and it tells me "Your software is up to date. Software update doesn't have any new software for your computer at this time." Now what? Is there a web site I could go to to get this OS X?

ErnestAgyare :

http://os-x-lion-1074.en.softonic.com/mac

Customer:

It is now downloading.

Customer:

You are being very patient with me - thanks.

ErnestAgyare :

that is what i am here from and please dont rate me until you are satisfied with my assitance

ErnestAgyare :

download it and install it and then install imovie after

Customer:

ok

Customer:

OK are you ready for this? When I double click on the OS X 10.7.4 download and go to install it I get a window that says "Alert this update requires Mac OS X version 10.7" Now what?

Customer:

Are you there?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

ErnestAgyare :

it should not prompt you for that

ErnestAgyare :

you are doing something wrong

Customer:

Yes, but what!?

ErnestAgyare :

try reinstall the same version you have then

ErnestAgyare :

what version imovie do you have

Customer:

How do I find that out?

Customer:

I have iMovie '09 version 8.0.6 (821)

Customer:

How do I reinstall it?

ErnestAgyare :

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl859

Customer:

the installation was successful

Customer:

Now what should I do?

ErnestAgyare :

restart and try again

Customer:

do you mean: restart my computer and try to burn a DVD?

Customer:

I restarted my computer, and opened up my iMovie project. Went to "Share" > "iDVD" and got the same old message "Unable to prepare project for publishing because of an error"

Customer:

Should I be doing something to my project before I the the "Share">"iDVD" thing?

ErnestAgyare :

seperating the video and audio

Customer:

First of all it will be helpful if you type in more complete sentences, such as: 'You might try separating the video from the audio this will ..."

Customer:

Second of all: Assume I don't know anything and include how to advice such as: You should always separate the video from the audio, you do this by clicking such and such." That will hel[p.

Customer:

So how do I do that?

ErnestAgyare :

i am going to try one more thing after that i will opt out please give me a second

Customer:

What does that mean that you will "opt out?"

ErnestAgyare :

do you know how to turn your time machine off?

ErnestAgyare :

also is the video on an external or internal drive

Customer:

Is there a way that I could get this project onto a Thumb Drive so that I could take it to a different computer?

Customer:

No I don't know how to turn off my time machine. and the video is on an internal drive. It's very important that I get this on a DVD so that I can show it at church tomorrow!

ErnestAgyare :

click the apple button

ErnestAgyare :

you will see system preference click on it

ErnestAgyare :

and you will see time machine

ErnestAgyare :

click on it and make sure its set on off

Customer:

It was and still is "OFF"

Customer:

When I go to export it I get a message that an error has occurred and then it has this: (-50) - is that a code for the type of error that has occurred?

ErnestAgyare :

yes that is the code

Customer:

I just discovered something ...

ErnestAgyare :

talk to me

Customer:

I opened an different project in iMovie and it works fine - it begins the process of getting the movie ready to be burned - so this issue is ONLY with this movie!! How do we solve that ? It doesn't have to do with my software - it works fine on other projects. What do you suggest?

ErnestAgyare :

since its not the software whewwww lol

Customer:

But now what?

ErnestAgyare :

please follow this link it will have to be the format the movie is in or other things associated with that particular movie unfortunately we are only responsible for making sure the software works

ErnestAgyare :

i will send you a few links that should help....

ErnestAgyare :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3935121?start=0&tstart=0

Customer:

Is there a way that I can copy this project and see if the copy is any better?

ErnestAgyare :
Another possible cause for the error could be the soundclips, try removing and exporting without, if this works ok, convert sound files to another format. mp3 format in particular I've read about as causing problems, try using a sound file converter and save in another format, eg aiff, replace and export your movie again.
Customer:

How do I remove the sound

ErnestAgyare :

not sure if you can do that ....

Customer:

The particular movie needs no sound so it would be fine without.

ErnestAgyare :

unfortunately we are mac certified but i dont make movies with imovie so i am not sure

ErnestAgyare :

i hate to do this but do you have an apple store

ErnestAgyare :

there is no way for me to tell what format its in without being infront of the mac

Customer:

Ok well, I'm giving up for now. thanks.

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
Ok you can choose not to rate my for my assistance. . Only rate me if you are satIsfied