Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

ProblemI can connect to the internet with the iPad by pressing

Customer Question

ProblemI can connect to the internet with the iPad by pressing Settings,--Wi-Fi,--Choose a Network
Then select the choosen network. The screen displays IP address, Subnet Mask, Router,
DNS and Search Domains. I MUST press Renew Lease before the internet becomes available.
Then by exiting the settings menu, I can go onto the internet for about five minuites only.
Then I am cut off the internet and have to go thru the above procedure all over again. The internet works OK on the other two HP laptops, that's why this note is sent via the HP laptop.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Graham

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

How long have you been facing this issue? Was it working fine before?

Thank you
Vinod

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a fire and this destroyed the router that was working well. A new router is installed and only the HP laptops work on the internet all the time.I Ipad was not damaged in the fire and I need the IPad to be connected to the internet all the time

Thanks Graham

Thank you.

Let's first reset the network settings on the ipad.

Go to settings > general > reset > reset network settings.

This will restart your ipad. Once it back to the home screen, go to settings > wifi and connect to your network.

Let's see whether the internet stays connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I did what you said, and reset the Ipad. I got on to the internet for two minuites then was cut off as before. The only to get back on to the internet is to press the Renew lease button. then I have the internet for about two minuites

Regards Graham

:(

It could be something wrong with the router or the settings within it. Unfortunately, I am not a router specialist.

Let's try a power cycle anyway.

Turn off your router for 3-4 minutes.

Then turn it back on.

Does the internet stay connected now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I have removed the power from the router, waited 5 min then turned the power to the router back on, This has made no difference to the I pad

internet connection

Regards Graham

The only other troubleshooting we can now try is a restore of the ipad. A restore will remove everything from the ipad. Would you try that? If not, I will transfer you to the networking department and may be they will be able to answer about the router settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX don't want to remove everything from the Ipad if I can help it. there are many photos I want to keep, and they wont be backed up. Is there another way to stay on the internet ?

Regards Graham

I am not yet sure whether it is a problem with the ipad or with the router/router settings.

Do you have an apple store nearby? If you have one, you can take it there and try to connect to their network. Or try connecting to any other available wifi network and see whether it stays.

If not, you would need to contact your router manufacturer and get the router settings fixed.

If the ipad does not stay connected to any network, you would need to try restoring the ipad and see whether that works.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help, Just downloaded data files and photos from the IPAD to the hp Pavilion dv6 PC and completely reset the IPAD. On turning the IPAD back on, I have internet axcess for about two min on the IPAD, then I am cut off as before. I Intend to replace the NETGEAR WGR614v7 with another model.I hope this will work. I will let you know if it works.

Regards Graham

Hi Graham

Thank you for the info...

Mostly it is an issue with the router as you have tried the restore as well. Also, try a different wifi network if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Vinod for the latest up date to my problem.

I have tried the IPAD in the local library Wi-Fi and the IPAD works well, so the problem must be with the router turning me off line.

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know later, as to what the problem was, and after the IPAD is working.

Thanks for your help Graham

no worries....take your time...:)