Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I can not export my project in imovie 11.

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you getting any errors when you export ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my question ? What really happens when you export the project ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get a window that states that iMovie has quit unexpectedly and asks me if I want to reopen. Then it gives me problem details and configuration.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This website is not very easy to use. Each time I try to answer you I keep getting a pop up window asking me to sign up for a year subscription. Any chance you can call me ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello? Are you there?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Keith, JustAnswer won't allow me to call you. It is against the policy.

We can only communicate through here. First we can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Close iMovie. Then in finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the top and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Then trash the file com.apple.iMovie.plist files from there.

Then goto Macintosh HD/Library/QuickTime/ and trash non-apple components. (Don't empty the trash)

AppleIntermediateCodec.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component
Perian.component

If you can't find any above files, then ignore them.

Then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Then click Repair Permission, then Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Let it complete. Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Keith, just ignore the pop up scubscription message or close it. Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't find com.apple.iMovie.plist

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you see any file related to iLife or iMovie in there ? If so, trash them. Then follow the steps below

Download and install this utility, Onyx from here : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

(Download the correct version of Onyx for your Mac OS X. You can find the different versions in the Related Links in the above page. Make sure you download the correct version of Onyx)

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. This will fix all system files, clean out old unwanted files and caches etc from your Mac. Open iMovie and try to export the video.

Let me know if that didn't work..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also see com.apple.iMovie8.plist.lockfile

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Trash it. Trash all files related to iMovie or iLife from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I have trashed all imovie files. How do I know what version of Onyx to us?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The version of your OS X is 10.7, so download Onyx for OS X 10.7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have downloaded the version for 10.7 however I am trying to open the Onyx and I am being told that Onyx only works if I have set an administrator password. I have not set a password. What do I do now?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you not the administrator of your Mac? Or don't you remember your password ?

Anyway, we can reset the password.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Terminal"
  • Type (without space) resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password change and reboot Mac OS X 10.7 as usual with your new password.
  • Install Onyx with new password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I have done all you have asked and it did not fix the problem. I tried to export my project and imovie quit again.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does this happens with this project only ? Can you try removing audios and export again ? Or remove any transition and export again ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Keith, it seems like the problem is not with iMovie but with the project. Can you try exporting some other project and see if it works or not ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I have tried another project and it works. Can you tell what the issue is by problem details that pop up when iMovie quits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The movie has numerous audios and lots of transitions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I remove sections of my project, is there a way I can save them to place them back into the project easily? I don't want to start all over again. It has taken me a month to do this project. I am not skilled at this and it is my daughter's graduation party today. I can't possibly do this all over again today?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
This happens if iMovie can't process the file and get stuck. This happens if the medias of the project have any problem. It may be the Videos, Audios or the transitions/effects you applied. We've tried everything so far. There is nothing wrong with your iMovie application or Mac, but the problem is with the project. You will have to isolate the problem. So I'd suggest to remove all audios and then export it. If the problem is with audios, then you will be able to export without any problems once you removed them.

Before making any alterations, first duplicate your project.
  1. In the Project Library, click to select the project you want to duplicate, and then choose File > Duplicate Project.

The File menu appears in a light gray bar across the top of your computer screen.

A new project is created and is listed above the original project. It has the same filename as the original, appended with a number.

2. Double-click the name and type a new one, if you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have one video clip that is 24 fps, and the rest of the video is 30 fps, would that create an issue?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Well, that might be. Can you try removing it and export again ? Duplicate your project before modifying it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried and that didn't work, I also tried removing all the sonds. That didn't work either.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What about transitions ? Did you tried exporting it to iDVD ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I have just tried exporting to my desktop. I tried exporting to iDVD earlier and it didn't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not tried removing the tranitions yet

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Create 3 duplicates of your project. Then divide the project into three equal parts i.e if the project is 9 minutes then put the first 3 minute of the project on first duplicate, second 3 minute on the second duplicate and last 3 minutes of the project on third duplicate. Then export one by one. That should help us to isolate the problem
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Try removing the transitions and titles and then export. Let me know if it still quits
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I had made a copy of my original movie and I eliminated the audio and that did not fix the problem. I then eliminated all the transitions. Although it is not done exporting, it does appear to be successfully exporting. However, my project has no audio or transitions now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Cancel it, duplicate the original project again. Then only remove the transitions and then export. Let me know..

Keith, this also happens if there is any problem with the Titles. So if you've any titles on it, remove one by one and export.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I made a duplicate copy of the original project. This time I eliminated just the transitions. I kept the text and the audio and it appears tat it is exporting with the removal of just the transitions.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Keith, that means the problem is with the transitions. If you are able to export it successfully without the transitions, then remove all transitions and add them back. Make sure you use different transitions this time. Then export.

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had all different lengths and types of transitions. By removing them and trying to replace them will take a very long time as I had the timing of the songs corresponding to my photos.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Keith, that is our only option. Remove the transitions and add them back. That should fix the problem. Unfortunately, there is no other easy way to fix the problem. Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there certain transitions I am not supposed to use? What causes that problem so I don't repeat the problem.

I am also not positive it is the transitions yet as I did not wait for the complete export.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a button I can click to eliminate all transitions or do I have to do each one individually?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, It might be a particular transition applied to a particular clip/photo that is causing the problem. We need to find out what specific transition or transitions causing the problem. You can try delete couple of transitions and export. If it quit, then delete some more and export.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I don't there is a button to delete all transitions at once. But you can select multiple transitions by holding down Command (or Control/Shift) and click on them. Then select Delete Selection from Edit menu
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't confirm its my transitions. How much longer will you be working? I must get this done. I have been up all night.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Keith, I will be here for the next 10 hours. You should get some sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to complete this for her. I have people coming in 7 hours.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I will be here Keith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to automatically install the transitions between each photo or no I have to manually install a transition myself for each one?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I have to finalize the project before I can share it?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Not sure If I understand your question. If you want to burn it to DVD, then click Share > Send to iDVD. Then burn from iDVD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I meant do I have to finalize the project before I can export it?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, you can directly export it. What Finalize do is, it will render the movie to all sizes Small, Medium, Large, Web etc and thats going to take much time. Once you did that, you can export to any size you want without taking much time. I guess you don't have time to finalize the project, so export/share it directly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed all the transitions from my project and successfully exported it to my desktop. So that confirms it has something to do with the transitions. I then manually added back transitions to the first 25% of my project and attempted to export it. Imovie quit on me.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you try differnet transitions, like simple ones ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whats a simple transition?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Like dissolve transition
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith, Just checking, how is it going ? Do you need any more help ?