Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

Networking problem. Win8 does not connect to Apple OX. OX

Customer Question

Networking problem. Win8 does not connect to Apple OX. OX is host. Systems preference / Sharing showing greyed out +/- . Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name isXXXXX can help you with your question.

If you go to the drive from the Mac and select "get info", is the "share drive" box selected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Get info is not showing. How do I get there?

Sorry I should have included that.

Single-click a file or folder in the Finder and select "Get Info" from the File menu (or hit Command-I on your keyboard) and a new window appears. This is the Info window, and it provides a lot of information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it. There is a lot of information, but when I select the shared folder option it resets to nothing selected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, permissions in systems peferences are greyed out (+/-) greyed.

Ok... now try doing that on the external drive itself.

When y ou look in system preferences, is there a lock in the bottom left of that dialog? If so, is it locked or unlocked? See the bottom arrow below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Tracy... I'm putting these links here for reference. I have them on my screen and I am going to end up closing the window by mistake. These are the three basic steps to enabling sharing and then accessing it from Windows 8, starting from the beginning of checking the workgroup names. I'm putting them here for a couple of reasons - it's a good checkllist and there are screenshots included, and the other reason is that if I close the window, I'm not sure I'll find all three again!

Set Up Your OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8 Workgroup Names

Set Up OS X Mountain Lion's File Sharing Options

Access Your Mountain Lion Data From a Windows 8 PC

This doesn't mean I'm going anywhere. I just want to have them here so I don't lose them.

Along with this concise video... doesn't have all the info, but it might help if you want to compare to what you are seeing:
http://bitli.es/9vXPdx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, looking at these now.

let me know how you make out, Tracy. I'll be around most of the day today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, this helped,but there is a problem. I can see the file folders from Win 8 but can't access them. On iMac, running lastest OS, the plus button to add users is greyed out. Lock is open. Please help!

Are the shared folders listed on that screen? You won't get the ability to add users until shared folders are added.

PS... good job getting this far!
Tracy, any luck with the shared folders and users?
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up with you to see how things are going. Is everything working OK? If you still need help, please don't hesitate to ask. If I have been helpful, I would sincerely XXXXXXXXXX X moment of your time to provide a positive rating on my answer. It's an important part of the process since since it determines whether we are compensated for helping. A favorable rating does not result in an additional charge. If you've done that by the time you receive this, THANK YOU!

If you have any other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to stop by and ask. You can request me specifically by going to my profile page and entering the question there.
[URL]http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-answers/[/URL]

You can also put my name in the question to make sure it gets routed to me. It's been a pleasure working with you.

Thank you!

Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up with you to see how things are going. Have you been able to get sharing working on the drive? If you still need help, please don't hesitate to ask. If I have been helpful, I would sincerely XXXXXXXXXX X moment of your time to provide a positive rating on my answer. It's an important part of the process since since it determines whether we are compensated for helping. A favorable rating does not result in an additional charge. If you've done that by the time you receive this, THANK YOU!

Thank you!

Hello Tracy.

I'm checking in with you regarding the question you had about sharing your external drive. I know we were making progress, but I don't know the final result yet. I hope that the information I provided is what you were looking for. If so, please remember to rate my level of service below with the rating icons. If you are not prepared yet to rate my service favorably, please let me know why so I can help you get to that point. Without a favorable rating, I am not compensated for my time, and I also want to know that your question has been answered.

If you still have questions, or if there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.