Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Hi - So, I bought an iPad mini - now I need to know how to

Hi - So, I bought an iPad mini - now I need to know how to make gmail my primary email provider - if possible - and if not, how the H do I delete emails on the email provider that comes w/it???? I cannot find how to anywhere! gawk!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

I am assuming you are referring to the default account used when you are sending a new email. To do this, click on settings, choose mail contacts and calendar. Under Default account, choose your gmail account

Customer:

Weird - it says that gmail IS the default acct! Doesn't look like it is on the icon! and, how do I delete emails???? or do I have to archive them???

Appleologist :

I Think I understand what you mean. You can delete your messages. Under account, click on Gmail. Turn archive off

Appleologist :

Once you are done with that we can move on to getting to your

Appleologist :

default account

Customer:

and since it is from google, why doesn't my signature show up automatically on my emails on the iPad???

Appleologist :

You signature does not sync with your ipad, you will need to enter it in manually again

Customer:

it also says "Messages created outside of Mail will be sent from the default acct!" Soooo, the icon I see IS the Mail icon and NOT gmail! aha!

Appleologist :

Click on the arrow in the upper left corner until you can not go any more

Appleologist :

You may have selected your other accounts

Customer:

sorry, i don't understand - from the mailboxes page?

Appleologist :

Yes. Click on your mail icon. In the upper left corner , you will see an arrow that says Mailboxes. Click on it

Customer:

ok

Customer:

???

Appleologist :

If you click on all it will show you all of your emails. You can select your gmail if you only wish to view your gmail

Appleologist :

How many email accounts are listed

Customer:

[can't go any farther than this] and, no, it doesn't show a gmail choice that isn't greyed out! there is a sub-folder marked Important and one marked Starred - says there are only 85 emails in the Impt one and 0 in the starred!!!

Appleologist :

Click on the compose email button

Appleologist :

In the From field, is your gmail account listed?

Customer:

0 listed - the gmail folder is just one of the folders in the list! and there is no "from" field on the New Message window! Just TO: Cc/Bcc & Subject... Sent from my iPad is in the body part!

Appleologist :

You should See Cc/Bcc, From

Customer:

nope!

Customer:

no From!

Appleologist :

Go back to your mails settings

Appleologist :

Click on mail, contacts, calendars

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Under accounts, how many accounts are listed?

Appleologist :

Are any of them inactive

Customer:

Gmail & grayed out Mail, Calendars, Notes!

Customer:

there is an Add Acct...

Appleologist :

Are you able to click on your gmail account to delete it

Customer:

I can - but won't that delete everything????

Customer:

I really only use the one gmail acct...

Appleologist :

Yes but gmail is IMAP, it will re-download. Before you delete, does it say inactive

Customer:

oh, and Archive messages is ON

Appleologist :

Turn it off

Customer:

ok - & no, it doesn't say inactive

Appleologist :

Thats fine. Go ahead and delete the account. We will re-enter it

Customer:

ok.. done

Appleologist :

There should not be anything under accounts except add accounts. Can you confirm

Customer:

yes

Customer:

and Fetch New Data

Appleologist :

Also, open your mail app and confirm it is empty

Customer:

It must be - only has iCloud & other choices

Appleologist :

Ok now go back to your mail settings and add your gmail account again

Customer:

0k

Customer:

hit next?

Appleologist :

Yes.

Customer:

done - and the ACCTS page doesn't look any different!

Appleologist :

Thats fine. Go back to mail

Customer:

what thingys should I have "ON"? Show To/Cc Label? Ask before deleting? Load Remote Images? [what's that?]Organize by Thread?

Appleologist :

You should have ask before deleting, load remote images and organize by thread on

Appleologist :

You default account still should say gmail

Customer:

I do

Customer:

why does it not show Bbc? I use that a lot!

Appleologist :

Always Bcc is right underneath organize by thread

Customer:

Not as a choice for my email - "Always Bcc Myself" is in the box below

Appleologist :

Thats what I meant. Thats where it is suppose to be. Go ahead and enable it if you need to

Customer:

??? but I Bcc when I want the addresses hidden - this doesn;t look the same

Appleologist :

Open your mail application. Compose and email. Click on the Cc/Bcc row. It will then expand

Appleologist :

You should see your email address listed twice. One from from and the other in the Bcc field

Customer:

Nope -

Customer:

Still no "from"!

Customer:

nor double listings

Appleologist :

Is your email listed under Bcc

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok thats fine. Send an email to yourself

Appleologist :

does it come from your gmail account?

Customer:

ok, i got it

Customer:

how can I tell that???

Customer:

It just comes from the one I'm using - and no others are listed!!!

Appleologist :

Click on the email and select he blue bubble in the from field

Appleologist :

Don't you only have one account?

Appleologist :

What other accounts should be listed?

Customer:

it says otherXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and no other listed - it does ask if Iwant to add existing acct!

Appleologist :

Where are you seeing other? In mail settings?

Customer:

I clicked on the blue bubble in the From box & 3 boxes showed up under my name - other +my email in the 1st one, Create New Acct and Add to existing Acct i the 2nd one and Add to VIP in the 3rd

Appleologist :

Oh ok, Thats normal. Just pay attention to your name. As long as that is listed

Customer:

it has an arrow pointing to my name and the box is entitled Sender

Appleologist :

it means it came from your gmail account

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Yes all that is how it is suppose to be

Customer:

yay

Appleologist :

Ha ha and you disabled archive right?

Appleologist :

I know you had concerns with that. So now when you swipe to delete, you should see delete instead of acrchive

Appleologist :

archive

Customer:

yes - can I delete emails now? swipe to delete???

Appleologist :

Yes you can!

Appleologist :

If you want to delete multiple, you can choose edit and tap the ones you wish to delete

Customer:

how

Appleologist :

the edit button is opposite from the mailbox arrow

Appleologist :

Click on edit and then select all the emails you wish to delete. Then choose delete at the bottom

Customer:

gotta go now - suppose to be 10 miles away in 20 mins - Thanks! I'm sure we will talk again!

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.