Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER

I just bought a Win8 laptop and have an iMac running the network.

I just bought a Win8 laptop and have an iMac running the network. There is a problem connecting the two. The permissions on the iMac show the permissions grayed out. The external had drive which I most need to connect with shows view permissions grayed out. Repair permissions is grayed out and unuseable too. What should I try next?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello i am here to assist

Customer:

Hello, please help!

ErnestAgyare :

in order for me to assist you i want to clear up the question so my understanding is you have two laptops

Customer:

I have an iMac PC running the latest OX and a new Win8 laptop from HP

ErnestAgyare :

?

ErnestAgyare :

and you are trying to join the hp to a network you created

Customer:

Laptop connects to Internet but not to the external hard drive

Customer:

yes, I can't connect to the network

Customer:

permissions on apple are greyed out.

ErnestAgyare :

if it was the pc wont see it

ErnestAgyare :

was the hard drive formated just for a mac?

Customer:

format of HD is GUID

ErnestAgyare :

plug the hard drive directly to the pc and see if it reads it bypassing the network

ErnestAgyare :

just usb connection from hp to hard drive

ErnestAgyare :

is it reading the hard drive?

Customer:

hmmm... I don't seem to have a spare USB cable. Let me see what I can disconnect

ErnestAgyare :

this is just to verify if the hard drive is in a format readable by the pc...usually not

Customer:

Trying now, found usb

Customer:

It reads from laptop to USB

ErnestAgyare :

can you tell if its formated to fat32

Customer:

No, it is not FAT32, it is GUID

ErnestAgyare :

it has to be formated to fat32

Customer:

No it dosen't. It was working with windows 7.

ErnestAgyare :

im sorry i wasnt done assisting you to get a rate

ErnestAgyare :

please follow these instructions make sure the sharing file is put on

ErnestAgyare :

To turn on File Sharing in Windows, right click on the drive in My Computer and choose Sharing and Security... and then choose to enable it.

To turn on File Sharing in Mac OS X, go to System Preferences and click on the Sharing Preference Pane. Then check off the check box beside "File Sharing". Lastly, click the Options... button and check off "Share files and folders using SMB"

Customer:

ok, trying it now

ErnestAgyare :

ok

Customer:

just found the control panel in Win 8. Then the thing rebooted. Win 8 is not great.

ErnestAgyare :

lol thats windows for you

ErnestAgyare :

is it working ?

Customer:

Win8 does not have Sharing and Security option in control panel. Looking for the replacement.

ErnestAgyare :

please take your time i am hear to assist you until you issue has been resolved.

Customer:

Ok, file sharing is turned on,but I still can't see ext HD from laptop. I do have internet connection though. I think it might be an account name problem.

ErnestAgyare :

do you want to change you account name and see if it works. Please let me know if you need further assistance

Customer:

Well, i have been tinkering and see that the network on the laptop is TWNET and that the network on the wireless it WHIGAMNET. could that be the problem?

ErnestAgyare :

yes please make sure they are identical

Customer:

How do I do that?

ErnestAgyare :

please simply do a wireless browse and you accurate name should populate and select it

Customer:

I don't know how to change network names on either Win8 or OX

ErnestAgyare :

do you know what your wireless name is ?

Customer:

Did that and connected to Internet that way on win 8, but only network on win8 is TWNET. I cant access shared files on OX

Customer:

wireless name is WHIGAMNET

ErnestAgyare :

and you said you turned on you file sharing on you OX

Customer:

Checking

Customer:

Yes, file sharing on. But the laptop user is missing

Customer:

+/- is greyed out

ErnestAgyare :

are you logged in as an admin ? you should be able to change that

Customer:

how can I check if I have admin rights? There are two Tracy's in the permission box for some reason.

ErnestAgyare :

on of them should be admin

ErnestAgyare :

select both and see which one ungrays the box

Customer:

None selected ungrays the +/-

ErnestAgyare :

please log of and see if you get the option of a user name that is an admin

Customer:

Shared folders is black, but not users

Customer:

Logging off now

Customer:

Logged back in, it didn't ask me for a login or password

ErnestAgyare :

that is od

ErnestAgyare :

odd

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

do you want me to opt out and allow other experts to take a look at it

ErnestAgyare :

http://serverfault.com/questions/8463/how-do-you-share-a-hard-drive-between-a-mac-and-a-pc is helpful as well

Customer:

Yes, let's see if others have experience. Thanks for trying. I will look at the site you recommended. Do I need to post the question again?

ErnestAgyare :

no i will opt out. you can rate me if you like but not necessary

ErnestAgyare :

please check that site out first before i opt out

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER