Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.
13568747

I have a Mircrotek Scanner i900, serial # XXXXX I have

Customer Question

I have a Mircrotek Scanner i900, serial # XXXXX I have it connected to an Apple PowerPC G5 with OS 10.5.8. I've reloaded ScanWizard Pro 7, version 7.62 several times hoping the recognition problem would be solved. The error is: ScanWizard Pro cannot locate a scanner! Scanner Driver Manager will now open.... This doesn't help. It still cannot locate the i900.

I tried different USB and firewire cables with no luck. I've tried hooking it up to a HP Touchsmart PC with Win7-still not located.

I do want to get the i900 working again on my older MAC.

Can you help?

Michael Dressen
XXX-XXX-XXXX [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is your Microtek scanner, please? measured from its date of purchase.

Have you been providing power to it, directly from the power outlet? or have you been powering it through a power strip with surge protection features?

Does the Microtek scanner show any sign of life at all, now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scanner is about 4 yeas old.

It has power, the 3 status lights on it are green which means scanner ok to scan, so yes it has life electrically.

I currently do not have it hooked to a power-strip.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

I have to drive to an appt about 70 miles away. I will have to get back with later. Do you work weekends? Otherwise Monday will be fine. In the meantime, Send me a solution if you have it. Thx!

That's fine, Michael. Take your time with the case, and I do work weekend days, both Saturday and Sunday. Get back to me at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

I'm back online this Saturday morning. Have you ever worked this problem before with the Microtek i900 scanner? Judging from other online comments, my problem is not unique.

When I first purchased the scanner-it worked fine. Then is stopped when it could no longer locate it??

I'm standing by for a solution. Thank you.

Mike Dressen

Thank you for keeping me posted, Michael.

(I presume you mean that you will be back online on *Sunday* morning, since it is already Saturday afternoon now.)

Sometimes devices may fail after a little use... but a scanner is a software-dependent device and highly configuration-dependent too... so it may not be a 'broken' scanner, yet. That remains to be determined.

(How old is the scanner? less than a year I presume - in which case it is covered against failure by the usual term of the manufacturer's warranty, at least.)

I will be online tomorrow morning by about 10 or 11 a.m. at latest, I think.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is still Saturday morning here in the midwest for another 50 minutes.

In my answer above, I mentioned it was 4 years old.

I agree it is a software issue.

I will await your response on Sunday.

Thx!

OK! understood.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

Good Morning.

I'm online at this time.

Any thoughts on solving my i900 scanner problem?

Thx!

I need to clarify my position with regard to the case:
- I think it is possible that the Microtek scanner has a failure of hardware, not software... or at least, that it ought to be determined that it doesn't - if that is possible.
- and I think I would be better at determining its status, re probable hardware fault, on a Windows 7 PC, rather than on a MAC OS X system.
- and I will willingly turn the case over to a more MAC OS X -Expert than I am, once it is determined that the scanner *can* work on the Windows 7 system.

In pursuit of that set of approaches, if it is OK with you, I would like to ask two questions:

1. when you hooked the scanner up to the Windows 7 PC, did you run the driver/installer disc on the Windows 7 system first, or did you just plain hook up the scanner to the PC to see whether it would work or not?

2. What is the System Type of the Windows 7 PC? go to
Start - Control Panel - System - System Information
to see that ... it is about halfway down the screenful of information, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

The answer to your two questions:

1. On Win PC, I installed/ran the i900 drivers first. Then hooked up/turned on scanner.

2. 64 bit machine

That is bad news, and I don't think there is much further to be tried. Your scanner is most likely defective or 'broken'. This is especially likely if your USB cable connecting the scanner to the Windows (or other) computer is definitely neither severely bent anywhere, strained, nor cut nor broken. (Try a different USB cable to be quite sure of that.)

We could try an uninstall-reinstall (from an online source definitely covering the 64-bit version of Windows you have), but likely the disc you used to install covered the 64-bit OS. (To be sure, look at the disc's label - if it does not mention either 'Windows 7' nor '64-bit' anywhere, or is older than 2009, then it might well be worth trying. Let me know, and I will instruct you as necessary.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

As I wrote in the beginning, I had tried different USB and firewire cables with no luck. So I've already eliminated the question whether it was a bad cable.

The drivers for this scanner are the latest from the manufacturer website, which are more up to date then CD-ROM sent with scanner. The new version supposedly works for 32 & 64 bit PC machines.

I will end my communication now with your company, since no help was available. I mistakenly thought I was in contact with Microtek's customer support when just answer pop up.I will try to get a hold of someone at Microtek.

Thank you.

Michael Dressen

Micheal, a bit of free advice: when a company named JustAnswer comes up in your view, it's not Microtek. It is also not Microsoft, not Canon, and not HP. It's JustAnswer.com. We do our best for your customers irrespective of whether the product we are advising about is the best of the line, or the meagrest and least prestigious.

My Answer, that your Microtek scanner is by all signs and tokens 'broken', has a hardware fault that is, owing to age, appears to be completely valid given all the data.

The scanner is out of warranty also, therefore any repair to it would have to be undertaken out-of-pocket. I suspect you might prefer to replace it.

And be sure to power its replacement scanner through a good surge protector. Power surges shorten the life of devices, and a surge protector set enough for each electronic device, is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

If this is the Answer that addresses the issue justly and rightly, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.

I’m Lindie, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Lindie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lindie,

Thank you for your offer to assist.

Instead, I will focus on contacting someone at customer support from Microtek the scanner manufacturer.

Thx.

Michael Dressen