Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

Made movie in iMovie, thought I finalized but no icons indicating

Made movie in iMovie, thought I finalized but no icons indicating the different sizes. Tried to finalize again, nothing happens. I would like to burn to DVD and then play at event later. I could just play from macbook but I think with finalized project, quality is better
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, I'll try and help you. The different sizes are embedded in the project file package. After you finalized it did you export it (share-export (various options)) to the format you want?

Customer:

thought is shared it to iDVD but I can't find it.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, if you know the file name you called it you could do a search. Otherwise export it again and save to the desktop. (It might be worth noting that the actual DVD resolution is standard size, your movie might be higher quality and you are reducing that quality. So depending on the event from a quality point of view it might be best to just export and play through quicktime from your macbook. It's just a thought)

Customer:

for max quality, if playing from macbook, how should I export it? When I pull up export, it does not offer me HD versions. is this normal?

Daniel Whelan :

It will offer you the highest quality it can save in, it wont offer HD if it wasn't filmed/imported/edited at that resolution.

Customer:

noted. So d the quality of the media I put in the project dictates the format it can be saved in? So my project already finalized the other day when I selected it and saw the progress bar? Because now it does not do that.

Customer:

Could I conceivably take the saved file on my desktop and burn it now? .m4v?

Daniel Whelan :

Yes it sounds like it is already finalized. Do you want to put it on a normal DVD to put into a standard dvd player?

Customer:

yes. It is a wedding video and I would like to give it to the couple later on. Do I need to save it in a different format?

Daniel Whelan :

Yes. If idvd can take the .m4v then let it do the conversion. If it cannot you will have to export to a different format first to give to idvd.

Customer:

what format would I export it to? I just exported to desktop. Do I have the option of saving in a different format (e.g. not .m4v)?

Daniel Whelan :

Go to Share-export movie and choose the highest quality movie it will let you. It will create a .mov file. Save that .mov to your desktop and then put it in idvd to make the dvd. (idvd will also convert it to the correct format for DVD players, you cant do that directly from imovie)

Customer:

I went to export movie. I saved it to desktop. It is easily visible on my desktop in .m4v format. Great. I have already shared to iDVD but i cannot find iDVD or the file. Therefore, i do not have .mov file (that I can find) or availability to burn. I tried to find iDVD from Finder but i am not sure where it is.

Daniel Whelan :

Just need to clarify, do you have the program iDVD? It might be in your Applications-iLife folder. Or you can do a search for it.

Customer:

looking at my menu, you may be right. I cannot see iDVD and i do not have an iLife folder. I have a program called DVD player. Not the same thing I imagine. anywhere else I can save to .mov file?

Daniel Whelan :

Download Burn, free dvd burning software for mac. http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Customer:

ok. will do. thanks for your help. Should get me through today.

Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography