Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

MPB 15 Mid 2011 Cant boot or get into recovery mode or even

MPB 15'' Mid 2011 Can't boot or get into recovery mode or even lunch from dvd.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. What displays on your screen when you are attempting to boot?

Customer:

it veries... normal boot

Customer:

oops sorry

Customer:

normal boot> grey blank screen after apple logo and rolling circle

Customer:

if i try recovey mode cmd+r i get a blue screen

Customer:

safe mode is pretty much the same with grey blank screen at the end

Appleologist :

Thanks for the additional info. When you receive a spinning gear, it could either be related to your hard drive or a corrupt operating system. What operating system are you running?

Customer:

single user mode work ok... it thells me that my root drive is read-only

Customer:

latest one

Customer:

fsck -fy commads tells me that my files were modified

Appleologist :

Are you able to boot into Safe mode?

Customer:

and the second time it tells me that my drive appeares to be ok. then i reboot and grey screen.

Customer:

nope, safe mode also takes me to grey screen

Customer:

or sometimes blue

Appleologist :

Do you at least get the progress bar at the bottom of the apple logo

Customer:

yes.

Appleologist :

Does it try to fill up?

Customer:

at the verbose boot i see that the bootchache.plist is missing

Customer:

yes it is

Appleologist :

Safe mode takes a very long time to boot. Do you remember how long you waited after the progress bar filled up?

Customer:

it does take longer and i thing it doesnt fill all the way..

Customer:

iv just started a safemode boot

Appleologist :

Ok, lets wait to see if it boots into Safemode. If not, next we will reset your Computers PRAM and then attempt to boot into the lion recovery partition again

Customer:

ok, iv done it before... proggerss bar dissapeared

Appleologist :

ok now lets wait for it to boot

Customer:

now only gear and an apple

Appleologist :

it can take 5-8 mins from the spinning gear

Customer:

blue screen

Customer:

it stopped at a blue screen

Appleologist :

Do you have a backup of your data?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Do you still have your snow leopard install disk?

Customer:

yes, its in the drive

Appleologist :

Ok, so here is what we may need to do. First I still would like you to try to boot into recovery mode again. Make sure you are holding both command and r keys immediately after your computer boots and continue to hold until you see the apple logo. If that fails, you can then boot from a snow leopard install. You will then need to erase the hard drive and re-install snowleopard (since you can not go back in operating systems) from snow leopard you will then need to upgrade to lion

Customer:

ok, dont you want to reset the ram first?

Appleologist :

Yes, that comes before booting into recovery mode.

.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys and immediately press and hold Command+ R until the apple logo appears

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

I will stand by while you try that

Customer:

logo appeared

Appleologist :

Ok now lets see if it will boot into the recovery partition

Customer:

blue screen

Appleologist :

Ok. give it a few more minutes

Customer:

with the blue screen on?

Appleologist :

yes

Appleologist :

It normally can take 2 mins

Appleologist :

depending on the condition of your drive, it may take longer

Customer:

thought that the blue screen is a dead end. you are saying that there is a progress in the background...?

Appleologist :

The blue screen is an indication that it is loading the contents that will be displayed. If you notice when you start your computer, a blue screen will flash before it loads your desktop items. Whenever there is a prolonged bluescreen, it may be having issues loading the operating system. It looks more like an OS issue and not a hardware issue

Customer:

im not sure but i think that this blue screen is different than the login one. this look more like a pattern of thin black lines and thicker blue lines

Customer:

verticals

Appleologist :

Ohh that it very different from a blue screen which is what you mentioned earlier. When you see vertical lines, that is related to the logic board. Before we draw that conclusion indefinitely can you connect your drive that has a bootable snow leopard install

Appleologist :

Shut down your computer and boot while holding the option key until you see hard drive images

Customer:

i see the cd in the menu

Appleologist :

Ok, click on the CD

Customer:

did it

Customer:

now logo and gear

Appleologist :

While we are waiting, does the lines on your screen look simular to this one?

Full Size Image

Customer:

not quite.. its only when the blue screen is on, never on generic UI image

Appleologist :

Ok good

Customer:

now i got a solid grey/white screen, the gear and logo went away

Appleologist :

By the way, when you saw the CD image, did you also see the Hard drive image?

Customer:

my lines a much thinner and with small 1px black gapes

Customer:

yes, two of them the normal one and the recovry one.

Appleologist :

Ok. Good. Has snow leopard came up yet?

Customer:

no, still blank screen.

Appleologist :

Lets give a bit longer, if not. Boot into the recovery partition again this time booting holding down the option key. I will like you to leave it for 15 mins. This will determine if the issue is with your logic board. Whenever you have booting issues, it normally stems from the logic board

Customer:

a logic board is the motherboard?

Appleologist :

yup

Appleologist :

Apple uses Logic board terminology

Customer:

deos my apple care covers this?

Appleologist :

Yes it does

Customer:

but it will only take two month... :/

Appleologist :

Are you near one or will you need to mail it in?

Customer:

an apple lab?

Appleologist :

Yes an apple store.

Customer:

there is one of an ressellers, i live in Israel and there is no apple store here. my mbp is from thailand

Appleologist :

Ohh ok I see. So you will need to mail it in then. Lets wait 15 mins first. Can you Option boot again and then choose the recovery partition

Customer:

does RAM upgreads harms the apple care?

Appleologist :

No. That is considered a user installable part

Customer:

cool

Appleologist :

The Ram and hard drive are the only parts you can touch without voiding the warranty. (unless you upgraded the hard drive and the hard drive failed, that will not cover the hard drive )

Customer:

i hear the fans are working very hard during every blank screen

Customer:

my HD is still the stock one...

Appleologist :

Is you computer unusually warm at the bottom or anywhere

Customer:

its usually between 60-91 deg. i do alot of rendering aswell

Appleologist :

OK. Have you option booted into the recovery partition yet?

Customer:

no, im still waiting at the blank screen.should i reboot?

Appleologist :

Yes please

Customer:

holding opt down..

Customer:

choosing recovery 10.8

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

aplle logo

Appleologist :

Now let that sit for 15 mins

Customer:

gear..

Customer:

Logo only

Customer:

canvas...

Customer:

welcome screen

Appleologist :

Perfect!

Customer:

lang menu

Appleologist :

Ok now choose your language

Appleologist :

Then in the Utilities screen choose disk utility

Customer:

chosen english

Customer:

opened

Appleologist :

Choose macintosh HD and then choose verify disk

Appleologist :

Just to make sure, I know it was performed in single user mode

Customer:

preforming...

Appleologist :

ok

Appleologist :

By the way, there are no distorted images on your screen correct?

Customer:

crystal clear

Appleologist :

Great. So the culprit may have been a corrupt operating system. Under format at the bottom, what does it read?

Customer:

Mac Os Extended (Journald)

Customer:

verification complited with no errors

Appleologist :

Ok that is the correct format. (not sure why you received a read only notifications)

Appleologist :

Ok now we will need to re-install your operating system

Appleologist :

If for some reason your issue persist, you will need to perform a clean install

Customer:

will it erease my installed apps?

Appleologist :

Re-installing your operating system does not erase any data

Appleologist :

So all you applications and stuff will still be there

Customer:

let go for it

Appleologist :

Ok, go ahead and exit disk utility. You will now be at the utility screen again. Choose re-Install Mac OSX

Customer:

yep

Appleologist :

Choose Mac HD as the destination and then just continue to hit continue until the install begins

Appleologist :

This will take about 45 mins to complete. So leave our chat open and give me an update when the install is done

Customer:

cool, thanks

Appleologist :

No problem

Customer:

downloading........

Appleologist :

Cool

Customer:

it estimates 3 hr. ....

Appleologist :

Wow How fast is your internet

Customer:

8Mbps

Appleologist :

Ok so then yes it is going to take some time

Customer:

it has all started from a sudden crush during rendering... would i every be able to diagnose what caused it? before we started i did a hardware test that completed with no errors. should i keep relying on this computer as my main and only working station? my trust is damaged . does these kind of malfunctions happen often? this is my first mac ever and im using it for about a year and a half. how can i be more secure?

Customer:

sharing my thoughts...

Customer:

there were two operetions that might have caused it maybe...1. using "clean my mac" to scan and remove leftover components. 2. seting up time-maching backup on an old drive..???

Appleologist :

I am not sure what exactly happend that caused your issue to occur. I can say that computers are not 100% and can have issues relating to either the hardware or software. With that being said, it is normal to experience issues related to yours where you will need to re-install your operating system (which is why the recovery partition exist). The first things you have mentioned can defiantly put you in the same issue if completed again. Some times "Clean my mac" deletes junk files that you do not need and some times it deletes system files that you do need for your computer to function correctly. Setting up time machine machine from an old drive is safe as long as the drive is in working condition

Appleologist :

Time machine just backs up to the drive, it does not delete anything or transfer anything to your computer

Customer:

50 %

Appleologist :

Good.

Appleologist :

How is it going?

Customer:

3 min left

Customer:

rebooted

Customer:

logo gear

Customer:

Logo

Customer:

Install screen

Customer:

installing time remaining 34 min

Appleologist :

So it rebooted?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

It is suppose to reboot after the install. Did it reboot and then continue the installation process?

Customer:

yes. it rebooted and logged in to the installation screen. its different than the download screen

Appleologist :

OK so approx.. 30 more mins

Customer:

50% 16min

Appleologist :

Getting there

Customer:

5m

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

finished

Appleologist :

Did it boot to your desktop?

Customer:

maybe...

Customer:

there is 1 px left in the bar

Appleologist :

Ha ha. Ok

Customer:

restart

Customer:

Booting

Appleologist :

If it is successful, it should boot to your desktop

Customer:

Logging in

Appleologist :

Yay! That is great new. There are few more steps

Customer:

what are they?

Appleologist :

Since you had to re-install your OS, it puts the generic version on. This means some of your applications will not work properly until you perform your software updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. You will need to repeat those steps until you have no more updates left

Customer:

its trying to open all my previosly opened apps

Appleologist :

Thats is a feature in Lion. It opens all your applications and documents that were open when your computer shut down

Customer:

should i force quit them?

Appleologist :

Yes you can if you wish

Appleologist :

If you do not need them

Appleologist :

You are pretty much set from here. All that is left is to run all your updates over and over until it says "your software is up to date"

Customer:

dont need web browser and mail at the moment :)

Appleologist :

You may need to close all your apps anyway so your updates can run

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Would you like me to stick around while you are running your updates?

Customer:

I dont think so... :)

Appleologist :

Ok you are all set. Thank you so much for your patience and I am glad you are up and running again

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please feel free to provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Customer:

you too.. saved my ass :) had a greate time!!

Appleologist :

Ha ha :) You too

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.