Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Our apple imac pc screen turns on and off on its own. It did

Our apple imac pc screen turns on and off on it's own. It did not use to do that and I'm concerned that our iMac has some sort of spy software on it and the screen comes on when someone or something is actively looking at our files. Does this make sense? Thank You, Gregg
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

i am here to assist you sir

Customer: Sorry for my delay. Wife had sergury last week and I'm taking care of her. She woke up and I had to go attend to her.
ErnestAgyare :

no problem you issue is actually quite simple you have a spyware on your mac that needs to be removed. you can go to an apple store and they will do it for free or you can do it yourself

Customer: As for for your comment, "I'm here to assit you sir", I've already submitted my iMAC issue so not sure why your comment. Please check your log to see what I wrote.
ErnestAgyare :

no prob

Customer: Hello, are you available?
Customer: Me again, is ErnestAgyare available to work on my original submitted question?
Customer: Ok, I'll check the log but I do not know where this log is located. Where is this log?
Customer: Where is this log located?
Customer: Hello, I'm waiting for a answer please. Thank you
Customer: Guess we are done since no reply. Disappointed......
Customer: Ernest assumed I was very knowledgeable of our iMAC when he made the comment that the solution was "simple" and then said to "just take our computer to any Apple dealer and will fix the spyware issue for free". I'm 66yrs old with health problem and I can't just take the computer into the store as iMAC is heavy. The he refers to a log where he has given the instruction to remove spyware but I do not know what/where this log file is located. Another assumption. I do a reply that I do not know where this "log" is located on this website or ? and I do not get any answer. On a positive note, I get answer to my concern that we most likely have spyware on our iMAC. So, I do your rating and exit this website.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Because of many issues, this type of problem may happen. So we need to try different things to fix the issue. First of all please try the following which is called as SMC reset.

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait thirty seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait ten seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

If it not helps, please boot your system in safe mode. While performing safeboot mac will check and repair many issues itself. To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do the following:

Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 through Mac OS X v10.6.8, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

To leave Safe Mode, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup. Check the result then. If problem happening again, it may the result of spyware infection or a hardware problem with your screen.

So use ClamXav the free Antivirus solution for mac. Click here to download clamxav. Install it on your system. Then run it and follow its onscreen instructions to perform a virus scan.

Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
Has your problem been solved
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've run into keychain password issues so not able to get into slow boot mode. Thus, can't follow instructions. Goes to take iMAC Pro into one of our local stores to have fixed.

Like I've already said, quote: "Ernest assumed I was very knowledgeable of our iMAC when he made the comment that the solution was "simple" and then said to "just take our computer to any Apple dealer and will fix the spyware issue for free". I'm 66yrs old with health problem and I can't just take the computer into the store as iMAC is heavy. The he refers to a log where he has given the instruction to remove spyware but I do not know what/where this log file is located. Another assumption. I do a reply that I do not know where this "log" is located on this website or ? and I do not get any answer. On a positive note, I get answer to my concern that we most likely have spyware on our iMAC. So, I do your rating and exit this website."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apology accepted. I have lots of other things to do right now so no more time to deal with this problem. Have a nice day...

I apologize your were unsatisfied with the help I provided. I was under the impression you were already being assisted. My goal is to provide you with support until your problem is solved. Please let me know what I can do to resolve your issue
Please let me know if you need further assistance. I am here to assist until your issue is resolved. I was undender the impression you were receiving help from another expert. I can definitely resolve that issue and fgive you satisfaction