Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography

Just moved. Brought my Mac Book Pro and my Time Capsule. Earlier

Customer Question

Just moved. Brought my Mac Book Pro and my Time Capsule. Earlier only used my Time Capsule for back-up of my Mac, but now I would like to use it also as the wireless connection to the internet. The wire from the internet is in the correct port and I use the out-port for the wire to the computer and I am on the internet (why I can write you!).

The Time Capsule is blinking yellow and I cannot get the wireless internet connection going.

Hope you can assist me.

Best regards
mikkel
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, I'm Daniel and I'll try and help you today. I just want to check, you have connected your Time Capsule to a router or directly from the phone socket?

Customer :

It is connected through a cisco router

Daniel Whelan :

OK and the cisco router has no wireless?

Customer :

no it does not

Daniel Whelan :

OK,, there should be a model number printed on it beginning with A followed by four numbers, can you give me that please?

Customer :

The cisco is a mode

Customer :

The Time Machine is A1409

Daniel Whelan :

OK, have you tried this.

Customer :

What?

Daniel Whelan :

On a Macintosh computer using Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later:
Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder. 2 Select your base station and click Continue. 3 Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your AirPort Extreme and your wireless
network.

Customer :

It says "no configurede Airport Base Stations have been fund...

Daniel Whelan :

OK, you need to set it up as a base station. The following is from Apple's documentation.

Daniel Whelan :

Configuring and Sharing Internet Access
If you plan to share your Internet connection with wireless-enabled computers on your network or computers connected to the Ethernet ports, you need to set up your AirPort Extreme as an AirPort base station. After it is set up, computers access the Internet through the AirPort network. The base station connects to the Internet and transmits information to the computers over the AirPort network.
Before you use AirPort Utility to set up your wireless device, connect your DSL or cable modem to the AirPort Extreme Ethernet WAN port (<). If you are using an existing Ethernet network with Internet access to connect to the Internet, you can connect the AirPort Extreme to the Ethernet network instead.

Daniel Whelan :

Use the setup assistant in AirPort Utility to enter your ISP settings and configure how the AirPort Extreme shares the settings with other computers.
1 Choose the wireless network you want to change. On a Macintosh, use the AirPort status menu in the menu bar. On a computer using Windows XP, hold the pointer over the wireless connection icon until you see your AirPort network name (SSID), and choose it from the list if there are multiple networks available. The default network name for an Apple base station is AirPort Network XXXXXX, where XXXXXX is replaced with the last six digits of the AirPort ID, also know as the Media Access Control or MAC address. The AirPort ID is printed on the bottom of an AirPort Extreme.
2 Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a computer using Mac OS X, or in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows.
3 Select your base station and click Continue. 4 Follow the onscreen instructions to configure and share Internet access on your
AirPort Extreme.
Using AirPort Utility is a quick and easy way to set up your base station and network. If you want to set additional options for your network, such as restricting access to your network, or setting advanced DHCP options, you can choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu of AirPort Utility.

Daniel Whelan :

How are you getting on?

Customer :

Where do I find the Set-up assistance in AirPort Utility? And I don't understand "choose the wireless network you want to change"

Daniel Whelan :

OK, printed on the bottom of the Extreme is the Airport ID which should be six numbers. If it is not there it will be the last six number of the MAC address printed on the bottom. What are the numbers?

Customer :

The Air Port ID is: 2.4GHz: 7073CBBB131D; Then there is a 5Ghz: 7073CBBB131E; Ethernet ID: 7073CBB4D823

Daniel Whelan :

OK, so on your macbook across the top do you have the airport symbol showing?

Customer :

I cannot see the Airport symbol -- if its not the same as the Time Capsule Symbol

Daniel Whelan :

Go to system preferences-network. Highlight the "Airport" network. click the "Show Airport status in menu bar" and you should see it appear.

Customer :

Ok, I have done that but I cannot see : AirPOrt Network or base station

Daniel Whelan :

Is airport turned on? If so you should see a network ending in B4D823 or possibly BB131D or BB131E.

Customer :

I do not see any network

Daniel Whelan :

Airport is on? I don't know your circumstances but if you have neighbours you might see other networks also to verify its on.

Customer :

airport is on

Daniel Whelan :

For the flashing amber follow this.

Daniel Whelan :

open AirPort Utility, select your base station, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Click Base Station Status to display information about the flashing light.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, I was wondering if the suggestions helped with your Time Capsule? If not we can continue looking for a solution. If so please rate my service as Excellent, Good or OK. Thank you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi, Can I help you any further with this issue?