Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

I have been trying to upload a 90 page photo book to Apple

I have been trying to upload a 90 page photo book to Apple through Aperture 3.4.5 for days now. The PDF preview shows the book perfectly with no problems. I order it and it seems to assemble the file just fine. (Progress bar completes its traverse.) But then the upload starts and the tiny little spinning Upload in progress wheel spins away. For 24 hours on one attempt. I have rebuilt the library and tried again. No luck. Someone else told me to look at the firewall settings. I had to add Aperture to the list of allowed applications, (but I've ordered these books in years past with no issues here.) Tried again. Nope. Took a look at the Firewall logs and I find that I have a string of "Stealth Mode Connection Attempts to TCP" (or UDP) every few seconds going back to April. So do you think these two things are related? Am I being hacked? (My newer Mac Book Pro has clean logs) These connection attempts persist even after I close all applications including Aperture, so they seem to have nothing to do with my Aperture uploading attempts...

Help!
D
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, What version of OS X are you running? Has anything changed since you last ordered a book? When was the last time you ordered a book?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

It's been a couple of years. Same 17" Mac Book Pro as before, but it was probably running Snow Leopard then. I'm running Lion 10.7.5.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

I have the latest update of Aperture too. 3.4.5

Daniel Whelan :

Have you tried turning the firewall off to see if the book goes through?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Yup. No dice.

Daniel Whelan :

Have you tried safe mode?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

What is that?

Daniel Whelan :

The mac only uses certain essential things when loading. Do you have any non standard fonts in the book? (if so it probably wont work properly as safe mode disables all fonts except the ones that came with the OS)

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Yes, I'm a designer, so I have a lot of non-standard fonts. I'm only using one though, Gill Sans. Which I have used before on these annual scrap books I put together.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Where do you set "Safe Mode"? In Aperture? Or the OS?

Daniel Whelan :

Gill sans is a standard mac font so that should be ok.

Daniel Whelan :

To perform a Safe Boot, press and hold the Shift key immediately after your Mac starts up. Continue holding down the Shift key until a gray Apple logo appears on the screen.

Daniel Whelan :

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ok, Trying that. Your link above states that "Internal and external USB Modems. I assume my Wifi connection to my cable modem will still work?

Daniel Whelan :

Just trying it on my other macbook...Yes it works

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

This is odd. It just finished rebooting, so I launched Aperture and it's giving me an error message: "The installed graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements for Aperture." Does safe mode turn off graphics cards?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

The top menu has the wifi graphic grayed out and it's telling me there is no wifi hardware installed.

Daniel Whelan :

Safe mode must turn off a driver for the graphics card for some reason.Does Aperture open? Do you have an ethernet cable you can plug in since it didn't like the wifi either?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ethernet: yes I have a cable, but Aperture wouldn't open because of that graphics card error message.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

The only button available on the message says "Quit"

Daniel Whelan :

OK, well we cant try that then. Restart back as normal. Have you tried creating another user account and opening the project in that one? (you will have to put the files in the shared folder or change permissions first)

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Hmmm... you mean another Apple user account? Or within Aperture? One other detail in case it applies, is that all of my Aperture Libraries are stored in an external hard drive connected with a USB cable. But I'm pretty sure I was set up this was the last time I ordered a book...

Daniel Whelan :

Go to system preferences-users and Groups. Click the plus button to create a new account (standard or administrator) Then login to that new account. Skip any apple icloud settings. Your USB drive should show up fine (on the finder go to Finder-preferences- and click on hard disks and external disks). If this doesn't work we can simply log out of the new user, back to your normal user and delete the account.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ah. Computer user account. Ok, gimme a second...

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

So far so good, I'll send in the purchase info now, so it may take awhile...

Daniel Whelan :

OK, no problem

Daniel Whelan :

On a slightly separate note and you might know this already by as you also have another mac you can legally install aperture 3 onto it using the same licence (If they are on the same network you might need to quit one copy first for the other to work)

Daniel Whelan :

Also while I think the "stealth mode connection attempts to TCP" are probably benign you could install little snitch to see what is happening (I have not used it but have heard good things about it) http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Daniel Whelan :

How are you getting on?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

PDF proof checked out, so "uploading" now. SInce Aperture doesn't provide a progress bar for uploading, (how lame izzat?) This could take awhile before I know if we're successful. Is there a way to log back into this chat later? Do you know how long it should take for a 90 page photo book to upload at just less than 1 mbps?

Daniel Whelan :

Do you know how big the book is? You could go to Applications-Utilities-Activity Monitor. Open it and click on the "Network" button. You should see "Data sent/sec" and that should be fairly regular if sending.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Hey I just ran a couple speed tests on Speakeasy.net, and unlike one I ran this morning that showed .99 mbps, It seems to be hanging. No upload speed showing...

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Looked at the activities monitor too... showing switches between 0 bytes and 534, 735, 105, 259, etc...

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

My other laptop shows upload speed on this network at .97 mbps.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, doesn't look like its aperture, looks like it might be the mac. I would have expected higher speeds showing if the data was transferring properly. There are so many possibilities as to what it might be. I think if I were you I'd install aperture on the other mac and transfer it from there. Leave it running on the current mac.

Daniel Whelan :

Is the firewall off? If not turn it off and see what happens.

Daniel Whelan :

Its a bit weird that it was at .99 this morning and nothing now.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Yeah, but I'm thinking I must have got that .99 reading from this newer mac-- testing the network, not the older mac that was uploading.

Daniel Whelan :

So the new mac gave .99 this morning and nothing now?

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Firewall is now off, and I see no appreciable change to the Data sent/sec readings.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

No, no, the network is fine. New Mac still reads .99

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

When I run the Speakeasy.net test on the older mac, the download test runs, but the upload test just sits there stuck on "Preparing Upload Test"

Daniel Whelan :

OK, but the firewall is off so nothing is holding it back there. Try repairing the permissions (applications-utilities-disk utility. Open disk utility and repair permissions. Then run the speedtest again.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Can I leave Aperture running? Or do I need to shut down any applications?

Daniel Whelan :

Well it doesnt look like aperture is doing anything so I would quit it and all other apps that you dont need running.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ok. It says estimated time for repair: 15 minutes... stay tuned.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Lots of repairs made. Launching Aperture to try again.

Daniel Whelan :

Before you do that do the speed test again

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Watching Activities Monitor as well... Ok

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ah. Still snagged. Not budging.

Daniel Whelan :

Not good. Suggest for the moment you install Aperture on the other mac and try from there just to get that out of the way and we try and find the problem on the original mac tomorrow (it's 11:16pm here)

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Yikes! Thanks for working late! Okay. How do I sign back into a running chat?

Daniel Whelan :

Not Sure (I've only just started answering questions with JustAnswer) but I'm sure its easy enough, I think you just connect again and I will join.

JACUSTOMER-xsj6v1i8- :

Ok, thanks!

Daniel Whelan :

no problem, got to go now, got a crying child, chat tomorrow.

Customer:

Hi Daniel, thought I'd check in online for an hour or so this morning, but we're heading out of town for the 4th of July holiday (as well as tomorrow.) So it might be awhile before I check back in... but thanks for your help yesterday, I was able to send the photo book off through the newer computer. (Though it took awhile to get the Aperture application moved over... not so simple.) The immediate problem I had is now solved. Thank you! Now I just need to figure out what's up with the older Mac!

Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography