Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.

my macbook air has become incredibly slow. sometimes even

Customer Question

my macbook air has become incredibly slow.
sometimes even in the midst of typing, I'll get the spinning gear.

Driving me crazy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is XXXX XXX will be glad to assist you.

Can you check the available space on your Mac hard drive.

Click on Go top of the screen then click on "Computer". Right click on Macintosh HD by double tapping on the track pad.

Please tell me the Capcity of the drive and available space?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi cris...

when I right click on Mac HD, i get a list of folders: Applications, Developer, Library, etc.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Your not right clicking your just opening the the drive.

If your using a trackpad you need to take to finger and tap down with both at the same time. That is a right click.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for some reason, right clicking didn't work... ended up

opening "Get info"...

anyway....

Capacity 120.47

Available: 10.61

Used:109.GB

So... I see the problem. How do I go about "cleaning up" 3 years worth of stuff which has accumulated? Note, no video on the system... music, pics, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Cris is apparently offline.... therefore, still waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mitchell,

Sorry for the long delay. The reason I asked you to check the drive size is because once the drive starts to get full it will slow down your Macbook. You currently have about 10% or less drive space.

Ideally or what is recommend is at "least" 15% drive space open for the computer to function properly. I recommend you try and go through your macbook and find any applications you can uninstall/remove.

Also you may want to consider using a external hard drive for media such as pictures, music, videos. This would clear up much needed space on the macbook.

Please Repair Disk Permissions on your hard drive. Click on the Search (maginifine glass) top right. In the box type in Disk Utility and hit enter.

A box will appear, click on Macintosh HD on the left pane. Then click on Repair Disk Permissions.

Also download and install Ccleaner. It is free cleaning utility which will help remove temp/junk files. This should clear some space as well.

Click here>>>Ccleaner Download

After you install open the program and click on Run Cleaner.

When your done, see if this has improved the performance of the Macbook.

Let me know how you make out. Reply back to me BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.