Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

Hello, The mouse for my iMac is not working. I cant check

The mouse for my iMac is not working.
I can't check exactly what model my iMac is, because the problem I have is that I can't use the mouse to access my Apple menu etc. and I don't know how to access those menus through keyboard-only.
I'm pretty sure it's an OS X v.10.6.2 - but I'm not 100% sure.
A warning about 'low battery' for my mouse appeared yesterday so I installed new batteries today. I've also restarted my computer and turned the mouse off and back on again (after installing new batteries).
I thought maybe I had to reinstall the mouse, but a Google search didn't find the relevant keyboard shortcuts to the Apple menu > system preferences.
The indicator light on the mouse was blinking twice then pausing, before repeating that pattern (blink, blink, pause... blink, blink, pause...). Now there is no light on the indicator light.
How can I get the mouse to start working again?
Thank you,
Helen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

You are using a wireless mouse right ? Can you please give the manufacturer and model details of that mouse ? Is there a dongle (wireless receiver of mouse ) connected on the computer which communicate to the mouse ?

Regards
Jins

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Madam, I waited for a reply from you but didn't yet get it. So let me assume you are using a standard wireless mouse. I need to go now. Please follow below steps to connect your wireless mouse again with keyboard shortcuts.

Here’s how to connect a wireless mouse using the keyboard.

Turn on the mouse.
Press control F2 to access the Apple menu. If this doesn’t work, try Fn control F2 instead.
Press ↓ until you reach System Preferences.
Press ↩ to open System Preferences.
Press control F2 to switch back to the menu.
Press → until you reach the View menu.
Press ↓ until you reach Bluetooth.
Press ↩ to open the Bluetooth system preference pane.
Tab to the list of devices. You will know you are there if you can press ↓ to highlight different devices.
Press ↓ until you reach the mouse.
Tab 3 times to the gear button below the list. If you can’t tab to the buttons, press control F7 to turn on tabbing within dialog boxes.
Press ↓ until you reach Connect.
Press ↩ to connect the mouse.
That seems like a lot of steps, but it becomes obvious after you do it a couple of times.

If you take more than two minutes to connect the mouse after it is first turned on, the mouse will stop trying to connect. You’ll see the green light stop flashing. Just turn it off and back on again to start over.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will only be able to reply to you at intervals today because I look after my child, so I am not always at my iPad to check your answers. But please do wait for my replies until the problem is resolved.
I will check the most recent suggestion you made later.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for that info so far.
I was able to get to the stage of opening the Bluetooth system preference pane. I can't seem to go any further than that.
Only the 'wireless keyboard' name is XXXXX XXXXX nothing happens if I press Tab. The 'scroll down' arrow doesn't work for me at this point either, so I can't highlight different devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, do you think this problem will be resolved today? I really need to have my mouse working by tonight or tomorrow! I will be ale to respond quickly to your replies for another 30 mins, but after that I won't be able to reply for 3-4 hours from now.
Hopefully it won't take too long to figure out the problem!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Jinsmn was very helpful in his first suggestion to me, but there has been too much of a delay between it and him answering my next question. Please could he or someone else follow on from where our questions and replies finished, ASAP?
Thank you,
Helen
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Helen, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

Please turn off your iMac. Remove your mouse batteries. Put them back in. Turn your iMac on.

Now on the mouse, there should be a button that you should press to connect. See if you can use your mouse after that.

If not working, on the bottom of your mouse, do you see a label with model number?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Madam, Sorry for the delay in reply. I was away from home for some personal matters. If you can't see the mouse under bluetooth devices please follow below steps.

Turn on the mouse by sliding the mouse power switch to the on position. The indicator light above the power switch glows steadily for 5 seconds to indicate the batteries are good. After that, the indicator light should begin to flash to indicate the mouse is in discovery mode.

Note: If the light on the bottom of the mouse does not glow or flash when you turn on the mouse, make sure the batteries are properly charged and installed.

Slide the Magic Mouse power switch up to turn it on.

Note: The power switch on the Mighty Mouse and Apple Wireless Mouse power switch is in the center on the bottom of the mouse. After five to ten seconds, the mouse name should appear in the Search preferences. Click Continue. The Setup Assistant will try to pair with the mouse. When the computer and mouse have successfully paired, the Mouse System Preferences will expand to show all configurable options and battery level in the lower-left corner. You should now be able to use your Apple Wireless Mouse. If you are using another mouse, let me know the manufacturer and model details of that mouse. Regards Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes I can see the mouse in the Bluetooth devices. I just can't get to it through the keyboard (I can't highlight it in blue. At the moment, the keyboard device is highlighted in blue.)
It says that both keyboard and mouse are 'connected', each has a green dot beside the word 'connected'.
The boxes which say 'on' and 'discoverable' are both ticked/checked.
What's next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the delays between my questions and your replies are too long. If you think that you won't be able to resolve this problem quickly for me, please tell me so I can ask another expert. I is very important that I get the mouse working as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I still haven't received a satisfactory answer from the original expert (Jinsm). This is the 2nd time I've had to ask for another expert. Please could whoever else replies to me, read the questions and answers that have already been written about my problem so I don't have to start from scratch with the new expert?
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, if it says connected it should be fine but clearly is not. Do you have any other usb mouse you can plug into the back of the mac temporarily to help move through the mac? (its always good to have a cheap one spare for moments like these, as an IT manager I used to replace all the wireless mice and keyboards with wired mice and keyboards to avoid staff frustration)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, unfortunately I don't have a spare mouse. I will get one in the future, but what should I do in the mean time to fix this one?
Normally at this point I would try and remove the mouse from bluetooth preferences and connect it again but I dont know how easy that is going to be using just the keyboard. Personally I would go and buy a cheap wired mouse before trying any more. I appreciate that's not what you want to hear but its the best practical solution to fix this issue without going mad with trying to do it using the keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll wait till I can get someone to look after my child in a couple of hours while I go out to try and find a replacement mouse. I live in a small island in Bahrain in the Middle East and the supply of good quality tech products isn't great here. Nor is the staff's understanding of English sometimes. Just so I don't waste my time when Im trying to find the correct mouse,, could you tell me what I should get that will work with my iMac, please?
That way I can show the staff what I need in writing. It usually gets a better result.
I'll contact you then later today when I have it, to see how I may reconnect the wireless one.
Thanks very much.
I'm sorry I didnt realise it would be so difficult to get a mouse, most people I've helped can just pop down the road to a local shop, obviously not an option in your case. The vast majority of mice work, which is another way of me saying I've never had a new mouse that did not work on a mac, regardless of manufacturer. Any big brand name like microsoft, dell, logitech, sony, etc I'm sure would work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just got a new mouse. It's a Microsoft 'Compact Optical 500'.
Over to you!
OK, plug it in to a USB port and it should just work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it's working.
i just tried typing with my wireless keyboard on my Mac, but it didn't work either. The little green light on the keyboard starting flashing, so I just changed the batteries on it as well - I put new ones in. But it's still not letting me type (I'm using an iPad to write all this).
Not sure if this is relevant to you: while I went out earlier to get a new mouse, my Mac went into sleep mode. When I came back, out of habit, I clicked on the wireless mouse and the computer 'woke up'. So, it is registering a click on the mouse, but the cursor on the screen wont move.
and now the keyboard wont type...
Could both be linked by the same problem?
Probably linked to bluetooth. I'm presuming this apple mouse has worked for you before and the table surface you are using has not changed (optical mice dont like certain shiny surfaces). So lets start with this. (I'm presuming the on switch at the bottom of the wireless mouse is in the on position)
From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, then choose Bluetooth from the View menu. The Bluetooth preferences pane will list the Bluetooth devices paired with the computer, the status of the devices (paired or connected), and whether Bluetooth power is on or not.
Tell me what you see, are they both still "connected" but not working? If so highlight the mouse first and press the - button to remove it from bluetooth. Then press the + button to try and add it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it says both the mouse and the keyboard are each 'paired' and 'connected'.
It won't let me click on the - button though, because that button isn't highlighted.
The + button is, though. I highlighted the mouse and pressed the + button and a message has popped up saying 'Welcome to the Bluetooth Setup Assistant'. There is nothing listed in the devices list underneath that welcome note.
So you cant highlight the wireless mouse (using the wired mouse) and click the - button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Try turning bluetooth off, then removing the wireless mouse by clicking the - button. If that does not work turn it back on again and see if it is still "connected".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I turn Bluetooth off? (Please assume I know nothing about techie stuff!)
No problem. Go to the apple menu on the top left, then go down to system preferences. Open system preferences and you will see bluetooth listed. Open it and turn off the "on" tickbox. Down the bottom turn the checkbox on for "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" (this is a shortcut to make it easier in the future to go to the bluetooth menu)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the Bluetooth box that I had open before, I think? The one which showed the keyboard and mouse status as paired and connected.
I tried to un-tick / un-check the 'on' button, but after a couple of seconds, it automatically ticks the box back to 'on' again.
And the box at the bottom which says 'Show Bluetooth status in menu bar' was already checked.
The - button is still not highlighted.
So it sounds like it wont switch off. You mentioned you are on 10.6.2. There has been quite a lot of apple updates since then, it's at 10.6.8 and that may solve the issue. To do updates go to the apple menu in the top left, then software update...It will check for new software. Press show details to see what it will install and then press the install button. The mac may need a restart after updates are installed (it will tell you if it does).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh God, the problems all come together, at once! I just read your reply, went to my Mac to do those updates you suggested, and the whole desktop Mac seems to be dead!
I tried turning on the power button at the back of the screen, and nothing happened. Just a dead, black screen.
The power lead is connected, the power source is fine (a printer is using the same source and it has power). No one was in the room since I last used it. The wireless mouse is powered on.
This has never happened to me before, that the computer itself seems to be dead.
Argh!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 7pm here, Bahrain time. I have to go soon. Will you be working again tomorrow morning? I'll be back to check your reply in the morning - hopefully we can resolve the dead computer issue as well as the mouse prob.
Many thanks Daniel.
OK, that does'nt sound good. First thing I would try checking all the leads are properly attached and not slightly loose, especially the one going into the mac. If not that then move it to a different power socket and try (The individual socket it is in may not be working now). If not that then replace the fuse in the plug. Get a fuse of the same of higher ampage (it's probably 10amps, will say 10A on the fuse). Then let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Amazing: the whole lot - computer, mouse and keyboard - is working this morning!

As you suggested, I plugged the computer into a different socket, using an extension lead. I tried the wireless mouse, just in case, and it worked! So did the keyboard.

Weird, because I had restarted the computer and turned the keyboard and mouse on/off before. But whatever reboot happened this time round did the trick.

Any idea what the cause of all that might have been in case it happens again, so I know?

That's great, I'm glad everything is back to normal. Issues like that are very difficult to pin down. It sounds like the power issue might have been affecting it all along although it's usually all or nothing with power related problems. If there is anything I can help you with in the future please let me know, you can just ask for me by name in the subject line. Please rate my service as Excellent, Good or ok. Take care. Daniel.
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography