Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Steve: I continually get an error message when I open Outlook

Customer Question

Steve: I continually get an error message when I open Outlook in my Mac. Says it must close. I have tried all of the things about moving 5 different files to the desktop etc. has not fixed the problem and now it is all screwed up. I've tried rebuilding Outlook and no luck there either. Can you help please? Joe
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. For some reason, Outlook is working now. Usual pattern lately. Sometimes it works, other times I get the error message.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

. First, lets make sure that you have set a password XXXXX a username or email address for your justanswer account.. At the top right of this page, click account.

Then set a password, set a username.. And once thats set..

at the top right click my questions, and you should see our question Click the title of the question ( or click reply to expert ) and you will be back here.

We should be able to get outlook working on a more permanent basis, what you describe sounds to me like database corruption, or identity corruption.. ( and its best if we try and take steps now to repair your outlook files, before this gets worse)

So to start with, please do as follows.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once it says, permissions repair complete. Now lets focus on repairing outlook specifially.

To do so, please go to the link below, and folow steps 3 and 4 to backup, and then rebuild the identity.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

Make sure t hat you backup first, as we do not want to lose any of your mail or files..

if you get stuck, or run into any issues, please let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see an option to select start up disk after I hit disk utility.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay, I didnt see your message last night.

To select the starup disk, when your in disk utility, the first aid tab.

On the left of the screen, you would click your Mac HD ( it should be labeled Mac HD )

And then, on the right side of the screen click repair permissions

( note, we not clicking repair disk, but repair permissions )

If you run into any issues doing so, Please let me know.

Once that is complete,

lets focus on repairing outlook specifially.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay trying what you suggested. so, I've done everything you said, hopefully correctly. As I said yesterday, Outlook has been working since I first sent my request for help. Hopefully it is fixed for good now. I guess my only issue now is that I already forgot my user name and password. Can you retrieve it for me?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Which username and password XXXXX you be refferring to?

For an email account, for your mac? for the just answer account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The one I need to login. Thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The one you need to login to..

What specifically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

User name and password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

The outlook in my Mac isn’t working again.

Same message appears. An error occurred and outlook has to close.

Can you come up with another solution?

Thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Just finishing up a well deserved holiday vacation.

Id like to try the same steps we did before..

Once that is complete,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

( will that resolve the issue a second time around ? )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Before I do what you suggested, I wanted to tell you that I just noticed a window that is open on my desktop. The heading is Archive and below it there are two things listed. One is Officesyncpreferences and the other is Outlookpreferences. Should I do something with them before I follow your instructions above? Joe

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Being that its an archive, I wouldnt trash those.. Since we want to trash the preferences from the active folder.. That being said, you should just be able to close that window, and then continue with the steps I suggested.

Ill be online and standing by in case you run into any issues Joe.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin. I did everything you said. So far, Outlook is working again. do you have any idea why this is happening? Joe

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats good, though as far as exactly whats wrong , I can only guess.

Maybe, it was a mac system update that came in and botched it up, or maybe, an update to outlook itself, or office.

Or maybe, one of your backup programs such as time machine or carbonite, is somehow damaging your outlook data file..

So if this starts happening again, try to remember if any changes were made to the mac, anything new installed, any new updates that asked you to install.. That way, instead of guessing at the possible causes, we can know for certain what to do to make sure this isnt a reoccruing issue.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I remember an update, 14.3.5 I think was giving me trouble installing. It wanted me to close Daemon and Snyc Preferences I think. Finally figured out how to close them, then the install went ok. But I'm sure this problem occurred before being notified about the update.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Even if it occurred before the update, the issue you had while updating, probably corrupted some of yout outlook plist files.. Especially with what you described..

So it may be solidly fixed right now, but only time will tell.. So take some time and use it, and if the issue comes back, youve always got the option to reply to me here with further info, so we can work this issue further.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far so good.

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Hello again, Its Dustin from JustAnswer. Just wanted to check and see...

Everything still working as it should?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for checking in Dustin. So far so good.

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Glad to hear it..

And thanks for the response.. if theres any other issues you want to work on now, or in the future.. You know where to find me..

And also, if the outlook issue returns, Im just a message away.

Hope you had a great weekend,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks buddy.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dustin. Wanted to let you know that twice now in the past 30 minutes I have been getting a window that says there is a problem with my Outlook database. I click rebuild and it is ok but it seems like there is still a problem somewhere. Joe

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
I had mentioned before that there could be an issue with time machine, or any other file backup system you have going such as carbonite, or mozy backup, etc.

If your running a file backup system, or even a strong antivirus.. It could be corrupting your databse.

When you can, please read over all the things i just mentioned and let me know if any of them apply.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Not sure what Time Machine is but I do have Carbonite. No Mozy of anti-virus that I am aware of.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Ahhh.. Carbonite.. Its been known to cause issues like this.

What we want to do , is start carbonite, and add Outlooks identity folder to the exclude list for carbonite , so it does not backup the file.

Once that is done, its a matter of testing over time.. If the issue doesnt return after ten days.. Then we know the issue is that carbonites backup was damaging your outlook identity file..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hey Dustin. I'm back and tried to figure out how to do what you said but no luck. I emailed the Carbonite people for help unless you know how to add the file as you said. Joe

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Well, what we want to do is Exclude the file, not add it to the backup .

By excluding it, were telling carbonite " do not back this up "

On windows, we would right click the file or folder, select carbonite, and tell it not to back up the file.

Im assuming on mac, it works the same way..

So lets try ctrl clicking, or command clicking on the outlook identity folder ( the whole folder )

And then we should be able to choose carbonite, and tell it not to back up the file.. It may work slightly different since you have the mac version of carbonite, and I do not.

But generally, it shoudl be about the same. If you run into any issues, please let me know.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dustin. I'm lost. But I did a search on the Carbonite site to figure out how to exclude stuff. All I got was a statement that says Carbonite Mac does have the ability to exclude files.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Ahh..

Ok.. Assuming you already have backups made that are recent..

My advice for the near future to test out my theory, is lets turn carbonite off.. Worst case scenario, we test for a week, and if for some horrible stroke of luck your mac was to crash, you only lose a weeks worth of files..

But i definitely think we need to turn off carbonite competely, and leave it off. And see if outlook runs smooth and has no issues.

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm having a little success. I found out how to get into Carbonite and clicked on Backup. There is a way to exclude certain files. Do I want to exclude everything that says Outlook?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
We would want to exclude everything that says outlook.

but most importantly, we want to exlude the Office 2011 identities folder..

You can get to it by using the finder as follows.
  1. In the Finder, click Go, and then click Home. Open the Documents folder.
  2. Open the Microsoft User Data folder. Inside the User data folder, you will see the Office 2011 identities folder

Its the office 2011 identities folder that it is imperative we exclude..

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm strictly working in the Carbonite window. But of course no luck figuring out how to exclude anything. So I'll disable the backup for a week and see what happens.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Thats probably the best, and easiest idea.. Which represents very little risk.

Ill watch for your replies in the coming week.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks buddy. Weekend off?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Not this weekend... Took a long vacation earlier this month, so Im working the next 14 straight.. But the vacation was well worth it!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Long haul.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Well, I tend to work better in long stretches, rather then a few days here and a few days there..

But yes, it can get a bit tiring toward the end of 2 weeks straight..

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dustin: I think I figured this Carbonite thing out how to exclude Outlook from being backed up. So everything is being backed up except all of the Outlook functions. We'll see what happens.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Perfect.

As a good measure.. I would go ahead and rebuild outlooks database one time , just so we know it has a perfectly good working database now that carbonite is shut off.

then we will know for certain that it wasnt carbonite, if the issue returns..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Database rebuilt. I deleted all of the other database rebuild lines in that window.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Excellent..

So now we have a clean slate.. Carbonite wont be fouling up the databases..

Now were back in watch and wait mode.

Im sure you will keep me posted!!

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will do. I may sign up for a year's subscription.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Ive enjoyed working with you.. So if you did sign up for a subscription.. ( and even if you do not )

Id like to send the info below so that you can request me personally, if you saw fit to.

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'll definitely ask for you.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

I appreciate the support!

My philosophy is, stick with something till its solved.. I learn in the process, and I hope you learn in the process as well.. And most importantly, the issue is solved.. ( personally, I t hink too may tech support outifts and personnel nowdays are too quick to say, " it cant be fixed " )

D.S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

More problems. I suspected last night that I am not getting as many emails as I should be. So I sent myself an email last night and never got it. Tried this morning and didn't get that one. Just noticed that an email I sent yesterday was still in the que on the left side of the Outlook screen. Just tried sending it. The sending bar at the bottom of the screen appears but it takes forever for the blue bar to get across. Before it does, I get a window that says "connection to the server failed or was dropped." Also getting something on the bottom of the screen that says "sync pending for this folder."

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Understood.

I think what happened is this.. ( i could be wrong )

When we stopped the carbonite backup, we did not delete the preferences for outlook..

So lets go through like we did before, and delete all those outlook pilist files, especially the one called sync preferences ( or similar )

Then, we should truly have a clean slate with outlook.. And can test further from there..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Where so I do this Dustin? In Carbonite or elsewhere?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Drag all these files to the trash.

1. Quit all applications.
  2. On the Go menu, click Home.
  3. Open Library.
    Note The Library folder is hidden in MAC OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

4. Open Preferences, and then drag the following files to the desktop:
    • com.microsoft.Outlook.plist
    • com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.plist
    • com.microsoft.outlook.database_utility.plist
    • com.microsoft.outlook.office_reminders.plist
    • com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist

And then we should be back on a clean slate.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Done except I couldn't find database_utility.plist. I did find one with the underscore. databaseutility.plist. Delete it? How about delete databasedaemon.plist without the underscore?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Done except I couldn't find database_utility.plist. I did find one with the underscore. databaseutility.plist. Delete it? How about delete databasedaemon.plist without the underscore? By the way, when I went to open Outlook, I got a welcome to Outlook screen. Do I click Add Account or Import?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
You should just be able to load your old identity, by selecting it in the identity or database utilty, and tehn starting outlook.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Where is "identity" or "database utility?"

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then start Outlook 2011.

It should show your your identities, and let you choose one.

If you have more then one,, then choose one of them , open.

And if its not your current idenity ( not updated )

then close, Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then start Outlook 2011.

And then try the other identity.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I did that, it opened normally. Is that OK? Also, there are still other files in preferences similar to what you wanted me to delete but they don't have the underscore. Is that OK?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
That is ok..

We should be in business, and back into testing mode..

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

just send myself an email and it went through fast like it should. Thanks D. Head out and get a nice bread bowl of clam chowder.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
We can only get good clam chowder, in the New England area..

Maybe at the turn of the month, I can afford some Red Lobster though, there chowder is respectable.

D.S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We were out there years ago and had many meals on the Embarcadaro. I thought what I had was Chowder in the bread bowls. Maybe crab?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

They do still have a crab soup, but also a good chowder that sometimes comes in the bread bowls.

Good stuff.

Ok, im off to work, keep me updated!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dustin. Two issues. First, I've been getting this message frequently during the day. Can't paste it though. Something about the message is to big and it has an error number.

Second, since last night, when I open an email that has pictures, I have to click on the yellow bar. Any way to change things so that pix open automatically?

Joe

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
This should fix the picture issue.

. Open Outlook 2011.

2. Go to the Menu at the top of the screen, click Outlook and select Preferences.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

3. In the E-mail section, select Reading.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

4. Go to the Security section and select either the In all messages radio button, or if you want a little more security, select the In messages from my contacts radio button.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

As far as the message is too big error.. Is it a message with a whole lot of big files or attachments in it?

Is there any way you could take a screenshot of the error, and then send it to me?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The emai I tried to send only had two pictures in it. Should not have been a problem. Can't figure out how to do the screen shot. Message says: (Alert) Message too large. http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=8770

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I went into my deleted items, found the email that I suspected was causing the error messages and moved it to the trash can. so far the errors have stopped.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
The Alert, message to large.

Is that happening on a message your receiving, or one tha your sending?

edit...

I was typing the above response , and you just messaged to let me know you had resolved the issue.

Were you also able to follow the steps I suggested to allow pictures to load automatically?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes in deed. Everything ok for now. Thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Excellent.

So were back in the testing Phase Joe..

Will watch for your replies over the coming days..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dustin. I am trying to download an Outlook update but I can't do it because it wants me to close Sync Service Agent. Hoe do I do that? Joe

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dustin: Did you get my email from last night? Joe

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Any problem with the install. I am getting this far and not sure what to do.

Can't paste the window here ( I wish I knew how) but it....it says a version of this update can't be loaded on this disk.