Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field
15852642

How do you turn off search suggestions in safari search on

How do you turn off search suggestions in safari search on the IPad? We have kids 10 and 7 and like that they use the IPad to look up answers, but the search often has an inappropriate suggestion in the suggestions list that happens while typing in the search box at the very top.

Thanks!
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Is this when searching in google or in the address bar?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I type it into the search box at the very top(next to the address bar). Not labelled google but we do have the search. Set on using Google.

Thanks!
.
Ok I am assuming that is a Google search box then.
Go to this page: Click Here

Turn the filter option at the top on.
Then under Google Instant Predictions choose the never option.

Once you have done that scroll to the bottom and hit save.
Now test it to see if it is working properly.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's already on the "never option."

I typed in www.google.com and brought up the actual search page for google, then typed into the google page and suggestions still come there, too. So as I type in the safari/google search box on top, and the google page search, suggestions are being made...

.
Did you follow the rest of the steps like the filter?
Can you change it to always and then back to never saving after each?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did. I slid the filter bar to "strict." I just toggled from "always" to "never" and pressed save...the suggestions still show up.

Before coming here, I'd read elsewhere (not from a professional techie) that they thought this couldn't be turned off (the suggestions), but I thought that would be ridiculous. That it must be easy to turn that function off (or create a search option that does so). If it's not possible to turn off suggestions, it's still ridiculous (and not family friendly)! But so it goes with technology, I suppose.

If you have any more suggestions, I'll appreciate them!

.
Once turned off it should not, it will only suggest things that you have searched even accidentally in the past.
To remove those you would need to clear safari's cookies and cache.

There is a guide with images on how to do that here: Click Here

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not with my Ipad right now, but before starting this with you, I cleared the cookies and cache and history the same way the guide you linked says to. Typing in search still brought up loads of suggestions, even after turning the function to "never"...although I had brought up your answer on the internet, so that was one page that was visited after clearing the cookies...

If the clearing of the cookies does work, does this mean every single time my kids type they have to clear? As in search, get the answer, clear, search get the answer, clear...

.
Normally to save the settings and turn this off completely the search needs to be connected to a Google account.
Safari may be limited when it comes to doing this.

So it may be best to have your kids use the chrome browser: Click Here
If you do not have one I suggest signing up for a Google account in chrome.

Then follow the original set of steps in chrome itself.
Then hopefully if you use chrome none of those suggestions will show up.

.