Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.

my 2008 MacBook froze. I did a forced shut down. When I restarted

my 2008 MacBook froze. I did a forced shut down. When I restarted there was no restart tone and the machine is silent. If I play an .avi file - it is silent. When I toy with the volume control buttons the square window is curiously grayed out/faded out. What does this all mean?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like your computer is muted. You will need to reset your computers PRAM. Before you do that, bookmark our chat so you can easily get back to me.

To Reset your Pram

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys.

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Make sure you allow it to flash 4 times or until you hear the Chime

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this is the solution. But why did I have the problem? How did this problem arise and what can I do to prevent it again?

Customer:

Hello?

Appleologist :

Your computer may have frozen because of an error which made you force shut down. This is not an the correct way to shut down

Appleologist :

down but you did not have a choice

Appleologist :

If it happens again, simply reset your computers PRAM

Customer:

oh? I know skype is sometimes a bit wonky... I've had challenges with it in the past. But, when the mouse wouldn't move and I waited a long while (30+minutes) what should I have done instead of force shut down?

Customer:

Am I asking too much for the money I pay?

Appleologist :

You had no other choice since that is the only route you could have taken. Most of the time, users who force shut down do not loose sound. In your case, you did. Did you want to reset the PRAM first to make sure the issue is resolved? You can bookmark our chat to get back

Customer:

ok, I will do as you suggest. If it works, do I open this book mark and let you know?

Appleologist :

Yes please

Customer:

ok, great. I will proceed to shut down and follow your steps. Wish me luck!

Appleologist :

Good Luck :)

Appleologist :

I hope you can find your way back

Customer:

hi

Customer:

unfortunately that didn't seem to work!

Customer:

I held down the 4 keys before the gray screen came up.

Customer:

it popped up 4 times and I never heard a chime.

Customer:

I heard what sounded like the hard drive power up/boot up...

Appleologist :

Ok so the screen did flash 4 times correct?

Customer:

after the fifth time, I just let it proceed so I could get online and report back to you.

Customer:

correct

Appleologist :

What operating system are you running?

Customer:

flashed gray...

Customer:

uhmm

Customer:

10.5.8

Appleologist :

Your issue may be hardware or software related. Do you live near an Apple Store?

Customer:

not really. I'm in the boonies.

Appleologist :

Ha ha ok. Then to isolate your issue, you will need to re-install your operating system. Do you still have the disk?

Customer:

I do not.

Customer:

I got the machine in '08 and

Customer:

so...

Customer:

i hadn't held onto any of the original disks.

Appleologist :

Is it the aluminum macbook

Customer:

no, it is white.

Customer:

13"

Appleologist :

Is it the unibody white one with removable battery

Customer:

I think so, though I'm not sure what "unibody" means in this case...

Customer:

but the battery is removable.

Appleologist :

Ok so the battery is removable. The next step is to reset your computers SMC. (System Management Controller)

Appleologist :

Here is what you will need to do:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

3. Remove the battery.

4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

5. Release the power button.

6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Customer:

....ok

Customer:

I do not know what a MagSafe power adapter is- is it the cable that brings juice into my machine?

Appleologist :

Yes. It is the charger

Customer:

ah!

Customer:

ok, I will try. See you on the flip side.

Appleologist :

Ok, Ill be waiting

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

despite what may come for solutions, I'm sure I'll give you a very high rating bc you've been so helpful.

Appleologist :

Awww thank you

Customer:

see you after I try this.

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

I'm back!

Customer:

I heard the regular start-up tone.

Appleologist :

Welcome back. Ok good now press the volume up button to see if you have volume

Customer:

i did and I just tested an .avi file and I can hear the sound fine.

Customer:

does this mean I'm in the clear?

Appleologist :

Yay! You are back in business. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Appleologist :

You are all clear!

Customer:

great!

Customer:

does this problem mean my computer is getting old?

Customer:

do I need to 'rotate the tires' or something?

Customer:

is there something I can do like defrag a pc?

Appleologist :

The computer is getting old, but I do think your issue resulted from an issue with an improper shut down after it froze.

Customer:

should I expect this problem or worse to come?

Appleologist :

Lets check for updates

Appleologist :

Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software update s

Appleologist :

Does your computer freeze often?

Customer:

no, it hasn't frozen in well over a year.

Customer:

I'm usually clicking the 'not now' when the update thing bounces on my dock. I'm in Vietnam and I don't want to download anything until I return to the states.

Appleologist :

Ok then that is completely normal. I understand. When you get back running your updates are very important so make sure you do that when you get back

Customer:

there are 5 updates. mostly they seem not to pertain to me (as usual bc my OS is so old)

Appleologist :

Ohh ok. Then lets do one more thing

Appleologist :

Open disk utilities. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

ok, I will. I think I'll also buy the newest cat OS when I get back. Oh, what's the one more thing?

Appleologist :

We are going to repair your computers permission. Just incase there is a minor issue. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

I see a folder called Utilities

Appleologist :

Within utilities is disk utility

Customer:

there's a disk utility icon with a stethescope

Appleologist :

Yup that is it. Open it

Customer:

I did

Customer:

and I see I need to select a ' disk, volume, or image'

Appleologist :

In the Left column, choose macintosh HD and then choose Verify Disk Permissions at the bottom

Customer:

done and done

Customer:

it was super fast

Appleologist :

If it went fast, that is an indication that there were not many issues to correct :)

Customer:

ah! that's good news then.

Appleologist :

Yes it is!

Customer:

do I want to check the hitachi thingy ?

Appleologist :

The hitachi is the entire drive. I will only verify the partition. You will notice if you select it, verify disk will not be available

Customer:

...so don't bother?

Appleologist :

No worries

Customer:

so then, I can make my 7pm skype conference call in 15 minutes and not worry?

Customer:

(It's nearly 7pm now)

Appleologist :

Yes you can. You sound is back and running. You can also make a test call if you wish

Customer:

you are wonderful. Thank you kindly. This was money well spent!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a fantastic rest of your evening

Customer:

Thank you.So now I rate and press 'submit' right?

Customer:

i think so, have a good week! bye bye!

Appleologist :

that is Correct

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.