Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I am having trouble with Quark. All of a sudden the

I am having trouble with Quark. All of a sudden the measurements palette won't show up on my desktop. I am running Quark 6.5 with Mac OS 10.38. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Carol
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Do you have your original System Disk? Are you sure about that system version? 10.38?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When i go under "about this mac", It says Max OSX Version 10.3.8.

This is the Mac that runs both OS9 and OS10. I switch between the two.

I imagine I have original system disk somewhere.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK you need to check the integrity of the drive you can start by going to Applications / Utilities open Disk Utility choose Macintosh HD on the left them Verify Disk on the right. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The only option available is "Verify Disk Permissions." The "Verify Disk" is grayed out and not available.

I am a graphic designer. Have worked on a Mac for many years. Have a project due tomorrow, so need to get this fixed asap. Wouldn't it be faster to speak on the phone? XXX-XXX-XXXX

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, are you still there? I cannot click "verify disk". The only optin is "verify disk permissions" or "repair disk permissions." The "verify disk" button is grayed out. BTW, I am running system 10 now, and I went into the applications/utitities/ disk utility for system 10, rather than system 9 which has a Disk First Aid.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but that system is VERY old I had to look it up. You need to find the system disk. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

This is a bunch of bull. What am I supposed to do once I find the system disk, and what am I supposed to let you know? I am waiting 15 - 20 minutes for your answers, and I'll never get this fixed at this rate. I can't stay awake all night. Are you assuming this is a system problem and not a Quark problem? Just tell me what I'm supposed to do if I find the system disk?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.

Yes of course I was going to tell you. It may not be that or "just" that but in my experince it needs to be checked first. Sorry I know how deadlines are. I have used Quark way back even when that system was in use, if you have the disk:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Seems we get a lot of customers outside the USA lately and they never come back or take a long time I will watch for your replies intently, sorry.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I think I found the disks. There are two of them. (1 and 2). With your earlier instructions when I went into Disk Utility, I hit the Verify Permissions button and a bunch of stuff started flashing and appearing. After a while I hit stop. So did that do damage to my computer? Should I now try what you are saying with these disks? I do not want to damage the computer further.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
No you most likely did not damage it, permissions will be repaired again later. Put Disk One in and follow the instructions exaclty. Verify Disk first if it needs Repair then Repair if that is succesful only then Repair Permissons. Let me know after.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Will I lose any files or fonts by doing this?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I always recommend a backup first... I can't guarantee that. Usually not a risk if there are not other serious problems.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I appreciate your help. I want to spend some time backing up before I try anything more. Can we continue with this session in the morning: and if so, how do i get back with you?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Just come back to this page... bookmark it. After aboutXXXXXUSA I will be online. i'll look for you. Good luck
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I am still working on backing up my computer before I do anything else. As soon as I feel safe about the backup, I'll run the Disk Utility. I also have a version of Norton Systemworks that can check/repair/optimize my disk. Which would be better to use --- Norton or the original install disk that came with this G4?

Also, how late do you work this evening?

Thanks,

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
No only use the system disk I can't be sure about the version of Norton. I may be online as late as aboutXXXXXbut I can get back to you tomorrow, too. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'll use the system disk; however, I know this version of Norton works on my G4 because I've used it numerous times. I'll get back to you later.

Carol

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I'm still backing-up and it's getting late again. I'll contact you tomorrow/Wed after I run the Utilities disk.

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
K
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I ran Disk Utility and it said I needed to Repair Disk. I hit "repair disk" and the final report says: "Repair attempted on 2 volumes. 1 HFS volume repaired. 1 volume could not be repaired."

Now what do I do?

I've gotten no response, and I'm stuck inthis Disk Utility program, so I ran "verify disk" again. This time it says "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. 1 volume checked/ HFS volume verified".

I don't know if I'm supposed to "verify disk permissions" or "repair disk permissions" or just try to get out of this program. Can anybody help me??

Later: Mike, I exited Disk Utility and ran Nortons Systemworks, which says it repaired the problems to my disk (major and minor). I ran it twice. Then I went into Quark again to see if the measurements palette would be on my desktop, but it's still not appearing; so I'm stuck with the same problem. What should I do next?

Carol

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike,

I exited Disk Utility after running it. It found a problem and said it could not repair the volume but I could run a different repair program; so I ran Nortons Systemworks, which says it repaired the problems to my disk (major and minor). I ran it twice. Then I went into Quark again to see if the measurements palette would be on the desktop, but it's still not appearing; so I'm stuck with the same problem. What should I do next? I can't use Quark without the measurements palette.

BTW, I never verified permissions in the Disk Utility, as I wasn't sure I should do that. Please advise.

Thanks,

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I would Verify Disk with Disk Utility to be sure. Then Repair Permissions, then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update. Let me know after.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike,

I just ran Disk Utility again. This time it says "1 volume checked/HFS volume verified". It also says "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." So do I now click on "Verify Disk Permissions" ... or do I just click on "Repair Disk Permissions"?

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Just Repar Disk Permissions then software update
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike,

On this same computer (G4), I am using Quark v4.1 with System 9, and I am using Quarkv6.5 with System 10.3.8. Then I have a MacBook Pro laptop, where I use Quark v7.2. I am able to open Quarkv4.1 files when I switch from system 9 to system 10 on the G4 and save them in Quark v6.5. Then I am able to open them on my laptop in Quark v7.2. It is important to me that I do not lose the ability to open and re-save these older files this way. I have the original install disks for Quark v6.4.1 Quark v6.5. Considering the above scenario, would it be possible (or better/safer) to reinstall Quark v6.5 from the installation disk rather than going under the Apple to update?

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Tha Apple Logo will not update Quark only the system. Wow vintage stuff. I believe Quark 7 should be at 7.5

http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=118
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Then on the Quark 6 machine:

If your main hard drive is called "Macintosh HD" then it would be in Macintosh HD->Library->Preferences->com.quark.....plist drag to the trash then restart and try Quark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You're getting ahead of me. I'm still back on "repair disk permissions". That got accidentally stopped. Can I do it again?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Of course
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK, I'm running Repair Permissions again, but it sure seems to be going going slow when I look at the blue graph bar. Is that normal? A lot of text is flashing, but the bar is moving incredibly slow, if at all.

So if the Repair Permissions gets complete, then you want me to run Software Update (under the Apple), using this same install disk?? Then after that I should go to the Preferences folder you mentioned and trash something ... or do I trash the whole Preferences folder?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
No restart the Mac then go to the Apple Logo to Software Update
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Trash the whole Pref folder
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Permissions Repair seems to be progressing better/faster now.

Are you saying that Software Update will update this system 10.3.8 only? And that's a good thing to do? It won't affect the version of Quark I'm running?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Right but 10.3.8 may be the latest version of 10.3, I am working from very old memories. Just check it. Trashing the prefs will probably fix it. Let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, the Software Update said my sofware was up to date. Then I trashed the Quark Preferences folder, and restarted the computer. Now when I try to start Quark, I am getting this message: "The activation file for this copy of Quark XPress has been corrupted. You will need to reinstall ths copy of QuarkXpress." Is it normal to be getting this message? Should I try to reinstall Quark 6.5?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Yes in that case reinstall
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK. I have two Quark disks that came with v6.5. One disk is labeled "Quark v6.1". The other disk is labeled "Quark va6.a5 Updater CD (not an installer)". Do I install from the v6.1 CD and then update from the v6.5/updater CD? Do I need to restart my computer in any special way or do anything special before initiating this reinstall?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Trash the Quark app in Applications first, then the rest f your post is correct, but I would go here to get updates don't use the disk:

http://www.quarkuser.net/downloads/mac/6x/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I installed Quarkv6.1 from the disk because my browsers on this old mac aren't up to speed. Do I need to restart before updating with the other disk to v6.5? Also, will I need to trash the old/previous Quark alias on my desktop and create a new one?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
The alias may still work after but you should not have to restart unless it tells you to do so
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I reloaded Quark and updated to v6.5. I restarted the computer and opened Quark. I still have the same problem, which is that the measurements palette is not showing up. Got any other suggestions?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Are you opening an old document or creating a new one?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I've tried it both ways. Doesn't work either way.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Did you update to 6.5.2 from the link I gave you?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
You should do that but also try this:

Go to the Quark folder in Applications and create an empty folder called Preferences, restart the computer and try Quark again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I also noticed that when I push the F9 key, which should bring up the measurements palette, instead my screen desktop screen darkens and splits into two windows --- one is the Quark file window and the other is an image of the Mac HD window; however the Mac HD window is not active (looks like a screen shot) and when I run the cursor over it, it turns light blue. This seems very odd. Any ideas?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, I created the empty folder called "Preferences" and restarted. Looks like that worked. So far the measurements palette is showing up on both new and old files. Do you think this will continue to work, and why did I have to do that since I didn't have to do it before? Doyou think ther is there something else wrong with this computer?

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Also install thishttp://support.apple.com/kb/DL496Not sure why yours didn't update.Go to System Preferences and turn off expose or spaces, are you sure that is 10.3.8?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I am at a little bit of a disadvantage as it's a holiday here and I don't have all my computers, we could continue this tomorrow afternoon and I can help you better probably. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'll work in Quark today and see how things go. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for helping me on the holiday. Have a good 4th!

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks you too
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike,

Hope you had a nice 4th. I worked in both versions of Quark on my G4, and the measurements palette seems to be function OK in both. You had me create an empty Preferences folder in the Quark applications folder, and that seemed to solve the problem; although I don't understand why, since I reloaded the software. Anyway, is that what I will have to do in the future should I have this problem again?

Also, the F9 key which should have worked the measurements palette in Quark was causing the screen to display additional windows instead. I went into Expose as you suggested and changed the "All Windows" setting from F9 to F13. This seems to have resolved that issue also.

I plan to optimize my disk now with the version of Nortons I have that works on this G4. Is there anything else I need to be aware of before we close this session? I really appreciate all the help you've been and definitely plan to rate your assistance.

Thanks,

Carol

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
The reason creating a new Preferences folder worked is Quark will look in the Quark folder first and ignore all others so it created a new Preferences. Great I hope you had a good 4th too. Just be aware that the system keyboard shortcuts can sometimes interfere with applications so always check that. Thank you!
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.