John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I am running Windows XP via VmWare Fusion V# XXXXX on my Macbook

Customer Question

I am running Windows XP via VmWare Fusion V# XXXXX on my Macbook Pro V# XXXXX

For backup and restore purposes, where is the disk image used by Windows stored? In particular, I want know how to back up and restore the data files on Windows. I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the entire Windows system (operating system + data + programs) is stored in a single location.

Also, depending on where the files are stored, Carbonite may not be backing them up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Normally, each Virtual Machine uses a single Disk image inside a virtual machine bundle. Virtual Machine Bundles can be stored wherever you have Read & Write Privileges and adequate free space to store them however the default location is "/Users/(Your username)/Documents/Virtual Machines".

To quickly locate a virtual machine bundle:
Launch Fusion.
If the Virtual Machine Library window is not visible, go to Window > Virtual Machine Library.
From the list on the left side, press Ctrl and click the virtual machine for which you want to locate the files.

Note: In Fusion 5.x (Icon view), press Ctrl and click the thumbnail of the virtual machine for which you want to locate the files.

Click Show in Finder.

The revealed file is the virtual machine bundle. To see its contents:
Press Ctrl and click the bundle.
Click Show Package Contents.

If for some reason you wish to backup program data files stored within the Windows virtual machine ONLY and not the entire image, then you would need to use a separate backup application inside of your virtual machine.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,