John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Okay I have some questions about grindr and how the app data

Okay I have some questions about grindr and how the app data moves between devices.

My boyfriend thinks that I have cheated on him because when he reinstalled grindr on my iPhone 4s, my profile, picture, and favorites came up. His accusation is that since I broke my phone and had it replaced through my carrier insurance since we started dating, there should be no grindr data left on the phone (Note: the website, although sparse with this kind of technical information, says the app is device specific).

I think that when I restored my phone from a back-up (iCloud or iTunes i am not sure) it put all of that Grindr data back on my new replacement iPhone 4s from insurance. My question is how did all of this grindr app data end up back on my phone
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Generally, a Grindr profile is device specific (which is why you can delete Grindr, then re-install and get your original profile back).

However, if you backed up your old iPhone (either iTunes or iCloud) while Grindr was still installed on the previous phone and then restored to your new iPhone it will indeed restore data from the old account such as profile pic, favorites, etc... (even though it may be a new profile as far as the Grindr server is concerned so in reality you would have two profiles on the server now). In cases like this, I believe Chats would not be restored but it's been a while since I've done this personally.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If Grindr was uninstalled at the time the old iphone broke (but still under purchases in the app store app). Would it still transfer the data to the new phone?

Generally when you delete an app it deletes the local data from the phone, so in most cases the backup would had to have been done prior to app deletion in order for it to be restored to the new iPhone. The iPhone does have a cache that temporarily stores some data but this is cleared when the phone is restarted, etc...

Keep in mind that iTunes and iCloud often keep more than one back up, as well, so you may have restored an older backup by mistake.