Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

Im a newbie working in the Aperture browser. Ive highlighted

I'm a newbie working in the Aperture browser. I've highlighted a photo and accidentily hit a key and the image has collapsed into a black spot with a white cursor underneath. How do I enlarge image again.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, It sounds like you might have created a stack.

To open a stack: Select a closed stack, then choose Stacks > Open Stack (or press Shift-K).

Daniel Whelan :

If this is not the solution please let me know. Are you working in Aperture 3?

Customer:

I'm working in 3.2.22 That's what it felt like to me also however, after selecting the image (it had a flag on it) I went to follow your advice and the open stack option was grayed out.

Daniel Whelan :

Did you just have one image open in Aperture or multiple images and its just this one that has collapsed to a black spot?

Customer:

Multiple images were showing in the browser but only one image was highlighted...the one that collapsed.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, it might be a rating thing. Press Control-6 to see all images? Did that work?

Customer:

That changed nothing.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, I'm still looking into it but have a screaming baby to settle to sleep, I'll be back within the hour.

Customer:

That's fine ...I've been there.

Daniel Whelan :

Done! Lets try and regenerate the thumbnail. Highlight the image and go to Photos>Generate Thumbnails

Customer:

Good suggestion but no results yet.

Customer:

Is there anyway that you can enter the image number and then go to new version from master ?

Daniel Whelan :

Checking that out. Could you re-import just that one image from the beginning, perhaps with a slightly different file name?

Customer:

That's the problem...I deleted the images from my camera.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, but you know the file name?

Customer:

Yes, IMG_1095 that's the only way I know it.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, great, go to your users folder-pictures folder where you will see an aperture library file. Control-click the file and choose "Show Package Contents" from the shortcut menu. You will see all your original photos in there. Highlight your photo, then press command-c (to copy the file) and then come out of that folder and go to your desktop and press command-v to paste the photo. (Don't remove the original photo out of the aperture library file, Aperture doesn't like that). Then rename it so something like IMG_1095_Copy or whatever you prefer. Then import it into Aperture.

Customer:

Bear with me.

Customer:

I'm stuck on how to get to users folder-pictures folder!!!

Daniel Whelan :

On your desktop, does it show the hard drive (usually called Macintosh HD but could be anything)?

Customer:

Yes. Macintosh HD

Daniel Whelan :

OK, open Macintosh HD, then go to the "Users" folder, then select whichever user you are (there might be multiple depending on how your mac is set up), then the "Pictures" folder.

Customer:

I was not able to find my imports from yesterday or that particular image. I can't spend any more time on this. I'll have to work with the images I have.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, One last thing, with the "show package contents" folder open type into the search box the file you are looking for and hit return.

Customer:

Interesting! I followed your last instruction and came up with an image from the Aperture Library photos how to use instruction...using the same number. Anyway, thanks for your patience and instructions.

Daniel Whelan :

That's great, glad I could help.

Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.