Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure, but I apply all updates as they are available.

It should be like 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.3 etc

Don't you remember the version number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I never had cause to make a note of this.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. This will clear the temporary files from the RAM memory.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Now, run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Follow the steps below;

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting steps.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

/sbin/fsck - fy gave "HD could not be verified completely" *****The volume was modified

Upon reboot and another reboot - the progress bar went about 15% and then the Mac shut it self off.

When did you purchased your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Early 2012 I believe

Your Mac should have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later installed on it. We can try to reinstall your Mac OS X.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively press and hold down Command + R keys to boot into Lion Utilities)
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
  • Click Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X.

This will take a while to reinstall your Mac OS X. Also, this won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one.

Let me know how it goes...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Upon re-installing OSX 10.8 on the Macintosh HD (not recovery HD), 2 times I have the pop-up message is "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Is your Mac connected to the internet ? Did you backed up your files before this happened ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - wireless. I was asked to enter my apple ID. I have not backed-up my computer.

Do you have any important files on it ? I'm asking because we need to erase the HD and install fresh OS X. Is it OK to erase it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It would be better to recover my files somehow.

To recover your files, you have to get another Mac and Firewire Cable or purchase the advanced recovery application like Disk Warrior. Disk Warrior can fix 90% of problems like this as well as recover your files. But Disk Warrior is costly. See here :

Forgot to mention. We can run Disk Utility from there and see if that works or not. Select Disk Utility in there. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and Repair Permission. Then Repair Disk.

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am repairing permissions now. I did a repair disk prior to the OSX re-install attempts.

Any errors ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It id not seem to take long and I do not recall errors. The Disk Permissions Repair seems to be stalled.

John, It seems like the structure of the hard drive or the system files are corrupted. We may need to erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS X. What you think ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am getting Open error 1: "Operation not permitted" on System Library/Frameworks/Python.framework....

8 more messages like this.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard. This should boot your Mac into Safe Mode. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Trying this its - the Apple and the spinning gear for quite a while.

I see that you rated the answer. Were you able to boot into Safe Mode ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You still there?

Yes, did you see my last question ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I does not start in any mode but the Option key and at boot.

The HD system is corrupt. We have another Mac. Is it easy to get the files with firewire cable?

Then I could erase and re-install.

Yes, you can connect both Macs with Firewire cable and then boot up in Target Disk Mode to copy the files to other Mac. See here :

Since this is a new Mac, you will have to get the Thunderbolt to firewire adaptor as well if your Mac doesn't have Firewire port.
You can also take your Mac to the Apple Store and they will copy the files. Or you can get Disk Warrior and with Disk Warrior you can repair the hard disk as well as backup your files to an external drive from your Mac itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to keep you. Just one more question. Were do I load DW if my OS is not working.

No Problem John. Buy it as discs. Then you can directly boot into the Disk Warrior disc (by holding down C key at startup) and you can repair, rebuild and backup your files from there to any external drives. Trust me, its worth it. I do have a Disk Warrior and I use it to repair my Mac as well my customer's Macs. It is more powerful than the Disk Utility.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got a firewire cable and got my data. I then tried many times to re-install OS X.
When it re-booted it would have a prohibit or Apple but would not start.
I tried different memory.
I think the HD might be bad.

I took it to an Apple repair location.

Hi John,
I hope everything is working fine now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regrads,