Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

MACBOOK PRO BOOTS SLOW, TOP MENUBAR NEVER APPEARS, IF I TOUCH

MACBOOK PRO BOOTS SLOW, TOP MENUBAR NEVER APPEARS, IF I TOUCH LAUNCH ICON SCREEN GOES GREY AND "FINDER QUIT UNEXPECTEDLY". SCREEN RESTORES. THIS REPEATS OVER AND OVER SLOWLY.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure, but I apply all updates as they are available.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It should be like 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.3 etc

Don't you remember the version number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I never had cause to make a note of this.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. This will clear the temporary files from the RAM memory.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Now, run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Follow the steps below;

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting steps.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

/sbin/fsck - fy gave "HD could not be verified completely" *****The volume was modified

Upon reboot and another reboot - the progress bar went about 15% and then the Mac shut it self off.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
When did you purchased your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Early 2012 I believe

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Mac should have Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or later installed on it. We can try to reinstall your Mac OS X.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively press and hold down Command + R keys to boot into Lion Utilities)
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
  • Click Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X.

This will take a while to reinstall your Mac OS X. Also, this won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one.

Let me know how it goes...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Upon re-installing OSX 10.8 on the Macintosh HD (not recovery HD), 2 times I have the pop-up message is "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is your Mac connected to the internet ? Did you backed up your files before this happened ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - wireless. I was asked to enter my apple ID. I have not backed-up my computer.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any important files on it ? I'm asking because we need to erase the HD and install fresh OS X. Is it OK to erase it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It would be better to recover my files somehow.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
To recover your files, you have to get another Mac and Firewire Cable or purchase the advanced recovery application like Disk Warrior. Disk Warrior can fix 90% of problems like this as well as recover your files. But Disk Warrior is costly. See here : http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Forgot to mention. We can run Disk Utility from there and see if that works or not. Select Disk Utility in there. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and Repair Permission. Then Repair Disk.

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am repairing permissions now. I did a repair disk prior to the OSX re-install attempts.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It id not seem to take long and I do not recall errors. The Disk Permissions Repair seems to be stalled.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
John, It seems like the structure of the hard drive or the system files are corrupted. We may need to erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS X. What you think ?
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting Open error 1: "Operation not permitted" on System Library/Frameworks/Python.framework....

8 more messages like this.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard. This should boot your Mac into Safe Mode. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying this its - the Apple and the spinning gear for quite a while.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I see that you rated the answer. Were you able to boot into Safe Mode ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You still there?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, did you see my last question ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I does not start in any mode but the Option key and at boot.

The HD system is corrupt. We have another Mac. Is it easy to get the files with firewire cable?

Then I could erase and re-install.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can connect both Macs with Firewire cable and then boot up in Target Disk Mode to copy the files to other Mac. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

Since this is a new Mac, you will have to get the Thunderbolt to firewire adaptor as well if your Mac doesn't have Firewire port.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can also take your Mac to the Apple Store and they will copy the files. Or you can get Disk Warrior and with Disk Warrior you can repair the hard disk as well as backup your files to an external drive from your Mac itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to keep you. Just one more question. Were do I load DW if my OS is not working.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem John. Buy it as discs. Then you can directly boot into the Disk Warrior disc (by holding down C key at startup) and you can repair, rebuild and backup your files from there to any external drives. Trust me, its worth it. I do have a Disk Warrior and I use it to repair my Mac as well my customer's Macs. It is more powerful than the Disk Utility.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a firewire cable and got my data. I then tried many times to re-install OS X.
When it re-booted it would have a prohibit or Apple but would not start.
I tried different memory.
I think the HD might be bad.

I took it to an Apple repair location.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
I hope everything is working fine now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regrads,