Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

i just upgraded my macbook pro from 10.6 to 10.8 and now my

i just upgraded my macbook pro from 10.6 to 10.8 and now my external hard drive isn't recognized. how do i reformat my external without losing data?
thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Re-formatting your hard drive will erase everything. Instead, lets check your settings to make sure they are correct. Is your external hard drive currently connected. If not, please connect it

Customer:

it's connected.

Appleologist :

Now open finder by clicking on the happy face icon in the dock. Then in the top menu bar, choose Finder<Preferences

Appleologist :

Click on Sidebar. Under Devices, Click on external disks

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Now in finder in the left column under devices, is your external hard drive listed?

Customer:

no.

Appleologist :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Type in Disk utility

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

In the left column. You should See macintosh HD and an orange type icon. Is your external hard drive listed in the left column?

Customer:

i see what I think is my hard drive (500.11 gb st5000lmo12 hn-m500mbb media

Customer:

below that is mac user

Customer:

and below that is superdrive

Appleologist :

Does it have an orange-like icon color next to the name?

Customer:

no. just the gray icon thing

Appleologist :

Ok, disconnect your external hard drive and re-connect it again. Try using a different port. Let me know if it shows up now in disk utility

Customer:

nope. same thing.

Appleologist :

Next, you will need to reset your computers PRAM. This will require you to restart your computer. First bookmark our chat so you can get back

Appleologist :

Click on Bookmark and then choose add bookmark

Customer:

thanks. see you in a minute.

Appleologist :

Wait

Appleologist :

Before you do that, here is how to reset it

Appleologist :

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys.

Appleologist :

Im sorry, you left too quick. Disconnect your external hard drive first and then follow the above instructions

Customer:

done.

Appleologist :

Ok now connect your external hard drive now. Open finder and see if it appears

Customer:

yes. it say time machine backups. i have another external hard drive that it not recognizing.

Appleologist :

Ok just but this one is showing up now correct?

Customer:

yep.

Appleologist :

OK so that one is done, click on the little arrow next to your hard drives name to safely disconnect it. Now connect your second hard drive

Customer:

done.

Appleologist :

I assume it is not appearing in the left column correct?

Customer:

correct

Appleologist :

When was the last time it worked?

Customer:

before i upgraded to 10.8

Appleologist :

Ok, lets open disk utility again. Click on the apple logo and type in disk utility

Customer:

in disk utility

Customer:

same three things in the left column

Appleologist :

Is there another mac that you have access to

Customer:

no.

Customer:

i will when i get to work tonight, though. can we talk again tonight?

Appleologist :

Yes we can. Simply respond to this chat

Appleologist :

Before you do that, try to reset your computers PRAM again

Customer:

and is there anyway i can save the info on the hard drive we were able to read on this computer? I don't want to lose all those files - maybe put them on another computer for now and then resave them on this one?

Appleologist :

Are you referring the the first hard drive or the second one?

Customer:

the first one that had the orange icon (but both of them should have the same info on them)

Appleologist :

Yes, I just wanted to make sure you were talking about the first hard drive. The only way to save the info from that hard drive is to make a backup of your back up. This means to copy all of its contents onto another external hard drive.

Customer:

can i do that on this computer now?

Customer:

or using this computer i mean

Appleologist :

You can do it on the computer you are using. I actually do not believe there is anything wrong with the actual hard drive. We can certainly check to make sure. Connect the first external hard drive and open disk utility

Customer:

okay, the orange icon is there.

Appleologist :

Ok, click on it and then choose verify disk at the bottom

Customer:

ok. at the bottom it says the partition map appears to be ok

Appleologist :

OK great. Thats what I thought. Its still totally up to you if you feel comfortable making another backup of your backup though. All you need to do is get another external hard drive. Do you want to try to reset your PRAM again to see if the second hard drive will pop up?

Customer:

sure. see you in a minute.

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

it came up! orange icon that says 120.03 gb mass storage d. and then underneath that is also the orange icon that says macintosh hd

Customer:

you're a genius. so can i back up one to the other and does it matter which?

Appleologist :

Awesome! Now lets also check that on in disk utility

Appleologist :

Yes you can. Choose the larger capacity. Before you do that, verify your second hard drive agian

Customer:

same. partition map appears to be ok

Appleologist :

Ok, you are all set then. Was there anything els I can assist you with today>

Customer:

how to back up the backup...do i just drag one into the other where they appear on my desktop? one is orange on the desktop and the other is blue/green.

Customer:

so the orange one is time machine which is the bigger one, and the blue/green one is the 120.03.

Appleologist :

Whichever drive you choose to backup to, Drag the folders within the external hard drive and then drop it into the other hard drive

Customer:

it says the volume has the wrong case sensitivity for a backup.

Customer:

i tried dragging everything into one and then switching them around, and same thing

Appleologist :

This means that one of your external drives was formatted with a Case-Sensitive format. Your hard drives should only be formatted using Mac OS Extended, Journaled. To get around this, one or both of the drives will have to be reformatted correctly. Which means you will actually end up loosing your data. You may want to leave it as it is

Customer:

ok. so how do i access all that info?

Customer:

on the hard drives

Appleologist :

When you click on the drive. What folders appear?

Customer:

on the time machine: backups.backupdb and microsoft user data

Appleologist :

When you click on the time machine backup folder, you will then get a series of other folders

Appleologist :

You should see your account name

Customer:

it says "neveen's computer" and then when i click on that, it's a bunch of different folders with different dates, presumable the backups.

Appleologist :

Yup. Those are the backups.

Customer:

the blue green one has: applications, backups.backupdb, developer, home, library, net, system, users

Appleologist :

It looks like it has two backups. Your user folder was backup and it was backup again within the backups.backupdb folder

Customer:

ok. but that would include my word documents, my music, blah blah, right? when I click on the folders, it just gives me applications, backups.backupdb, developer, home, library, net, system, users again.

Appleologist :

Yes it backups everything. Follow this path. Click on backups.backupdb and then choose your computer name. Then choose users. choose your user folder. You will then see documents, pictures etc

Customer:

i did, and none of my documents are there, only stuff from egnyte, that i downloaded yesterday onto my desktop

Appleologist :

Ok, click on the users folder and see if that is also empty

Customer:

the other one said i don't have permission to see its contents

Appleologist :

Does it have a red prohibitory sign on it?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Select that folder, then choose file<Get info

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

At the very bottom, click on the lock and then enter your admin password

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Now under sharing and permissions. Click ont the + sign and add your account name. Assign read and write access

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Lastly, click on the gear icon next the the minus sign and choose "apply to enclosed items"

Customer:

it's asking if i am sure, that i cannot undo this.

Appleologist :

Yes

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

When it is done, you should now be able to access your files

Customer:

it said it was applying to the documents with the blue and white line thing underneath

Appleologist :

Ok

Appleologist :

When it is done, try to see if you have access again

Customer:

it gives me access, but not to my music and other folders. do i have to do the same thing for every folder? and not all my documents are there in the documents folder.

Appleologist :

Choose the entire user folder and do the same for that so it can unlock everything inside that folder

Customer:

working

Appleologist :

ok

Customer:

it's only partial. not everything's there, but i have access to what is.

Appleologist :

Does your other hard drive have a more complete backup?

Customer:

checking

Customer:

it looks the same. shit. what do i do now?

Appleologist :

Does your computer currently have all of your information on it?

Customer:

i dont think so, since i upgraded.

Customer:

that's it, right? i can do nothing else, yeah?

Appleologist :

Upgrading does not remove your data, did you manually delete data ?

Customer:

i don't know - i had someone else do it

Customer:

i went to a computer place

Appleologist :

Oh ok. Well lets check your last time machine backup. Click on the blue icon. When you click on the backup folder and then choose your computer, do you get a list of dates?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

what is the closest date?

Appleologist :

to today's date?

Customer:

it says latest or the last one is 2013-01-02-192048

Customer:

i backed up using time machine two days ago before i took the computer in to be upgraded.

Customer:

or thought i did

Appleologist :

oh yea, that was some time ago. Check the other hard drive. You mentioned earlier that you also saw a backup folder in there

Customer:

when i get to music on the other hard drive, it only has what i have on my iphone.

Customer:

i joined itunes match yesterday, thinking i could access all my music. i feel retarded.

Appleologist :

Did you purchase all of your music via itunes?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

mostly

Appleologist :

Oh then you are fine. If you open itunes, click on itunes store in the left column

Appleologist :

Then within the itunes store, click on purchased under quick links

Customer:

ok

Customer:

as far as the other stuff not purchased on itunes - is that gone?

Appleologist :

Type in your itunes account info

Appleologist :

Where did you get them? CD?

Customer:

yes, but i don't have them anymore.

Appleologist :

Then yes they are gone. Im sorry

Customer:

i figured. thanks.

Appleologist :

You are very welome. Best of luck to you

Customer:

thanks for your help today - i really appreciate it.

Customer:

goodby

Customer:

e

Appleologist :

No Problem. Bye :)

Appleologist :

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please feel free to provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.