John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and set it up in a hurry. Now

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and set it up in a hurry. Now I cannot access my iCloud emails at a me.com. It asks for my password XXXXX I've forgotten and when I click on the 'forgot' icon I get taken to the 'change my Apple ID' page. I tried changing my Apple ID but my iCloud email access refuses to accept it. The Apple Store in Scotland says they cannot help sort out my iCloud problem. What do I do now?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you have only a single Apple ID or do you have a secondary ID used only for iCloud? Also, does your ID and password XXXXX for other Apple services and fail only in connection with iCloud?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know I have a single Apple ID. Just checked - my current Apple ID allows me access to my account at the Apple Store. Not tried any other service.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Anne.

How are you trying to access your iCloud email - is it through the Apple Mail app or in Safari via the iCould website?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Through the iCloud website in Safari

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.

So do you get the error when trying to sign in to iCloud via Safari or ONLY when trying to enter the Mail feature of the website?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is an example:

I currently have a message on the screen saying 'iCal can't log in to your "ICloud" account because your password XXXXX be incorrect. The server did not recognize your user name or password XXXXX account "iCloud". Make sure you enter them correctly.

Have also just clicked on the Safari menu 'File' then "Mail Contents of this Page" an unsent email appears with the message "Cannot send message using the server iCloud (Mobile Me). ....... select a different outgoing mail server....

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, these messages sound like they are coming from OS X rather than the iCloud website.

It sounds like an issue we can fix, hopefully rather easily. However, first please go to https://www.icloud.com in your web browser and see if you can sign in?

Also, did you set up the MacBook from scratch or did you restore a backup from an older Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Set up the MacBook from scratch - just before going on holiday and the MacBook is my first Apple machine. Have always used Windows prior to this an am contacting you via my Windows machine at the moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unable to sign in on the web browser.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay so was this ever a working iCloud account and if so where have you used it previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought I had a working iCloud account because I received an email address for @me.com. However, I have just tried accessing the iCloud account via the MacBook and this is the message I am getting:

'Your Apple ID must be used to set up iCloud on an IOS or OSX device before you can use iCloud.com"

Perhaps I did not set it up in the first place? Can't remember now. I thought I must have done as the e-mail I tried to send at the time of setting up the laptop reappears saying it is "trying to send".

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it's curious the setup process would not complete, particularly if you have an existing and working Apple ID. Your MacBook can access the internet fine, otherwise?

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, no problem accessing the internet.

Version 10.7.5

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen again

Select "System Preferences"

Click the iCloud icon.

If it shows you signed in, choose "Sign Out".

Then, sign in with your existing Apple ID and make sure all services are turn on, including Mail.

If all goes well, then the iCloud account should be created successfully.

Keep an eye out for any errors along the way so we can troubleshoot if necessary.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your patience and for being able to resolve my problem. This seems to have worked beautifully. Thanks again.

Anne

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry