John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Can I text from my Macbook?

Can I text from my Macbook?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.8.4

Thanks, Debbie.

If you are wanting to send text messages to iPhone users then you can make use of the Messages application included in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

You can find this app in the Applications directory (In the Finder, Click the Go menu at the top of the screen, select Applications and then locate Messages).

You will need to set up an iMessage account within the app and it should offer to do this for you, using your Apple ID.

However, this can not be used to send messages to phone numbers not associated with iPhones.

An alternative in that case is to use Skype:

iMessage is free but monthly rates may apply when using Skype.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,