John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

cant access photos off of new CD that I put in my mac

Customer Question

can't access photos off of new CD that I put in my mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Where did the CD come from originally?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

from a professional photographer

Okay.

With the CD in the drive;

In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Computer.

Locate the photo CD and open it. Can you tell me what you see?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I know what finder is but what is the go menu

The Go menu should be located at the very top of the screen in the menu bar (File Edit View Go, etc...). You will only see it when you are in the Finder or on the desktop.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The CD does not appear here.

I have on the left Dropbox, all my files air drop, Desktop, documents, then on the right it says Macintosh HD, network, Time Machine

It sounds like the CD is not being recognized at all. Are you able to eject the disc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I can eject the disc

Okay, please try another CD first and see if it is recognized properly. If the other disc is recognized, insert this photo CD once more and see if it appears this time.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It's not recognizing the other CD and I have been able to use this other CD before on this computer

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Then, repeatedly click on the word "Version" until it says "Serial Number" and please provide that number, as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

10.7.5

W80121BLD4V

Thanks.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator (Alternative: press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu). If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

See if your iMac can now read the CD's.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OMG you are my hero! Thank you!

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Hi again, I just wanted to follow up with you concerning your iMac.

Going off your serial number, your iMac has a tech note indicating that it is covered by a replacement program due to a possibly faulty hard drive. Certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

The iMac serial number you provided is eligible for this program. Please follow the instructions on the link below, after entering your serial number ( W80121BLD4V ), to have your hard drive replaced, if you wish to take advantage of this service:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

Thanks and good luck!