John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

ipressed shift as i turned my macbook on, and i got all kinds

ipressed shift as i turned my macbook on, and i got all kinds of information on the left hand of the screen. it said if you want to reboot, do your solution 2 which i did. some of the information says things like: cant stat fyfsk, no such file or directory, also says:runtime corruption detected on macintosh HD,boot cache-hit rate below threshold, previous shutdown cause:3. is any of this info helpful, is it saying whats wrong w/ my computer?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you know which version of is x you are running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i believe 10.6.something

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.6.8 does that sound right?

Thanks Susan. That is a popular version. Can you describe how the issue started?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i used it to watch movies one evening, i believe i closed safari and shut

my down my computer. i may have put it to sleep. the next morning i tried to turn it on and the gray screen got as far as the apple icon and spinning circle

Okay, do you have your original OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install disc available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

john, let me know if u rec'd my last reply to your ? about having the disc. it seems i am not getting your replys on my hotmail, but i do on my iphone

Hi Susan. For some reason I did not recieve your last reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, no, the computer came with it installed. it was an apple refurbed from apple factory

Thanks Susan. Rufurbished Macs shipping from Apple do normally include all documentation and discs if they shipped with OS X 10.6.8 or earlier.

Try this.

Shut down the Mac.

Restart and as soon as you hear the chime but before the grey screen appears, press and hold the OPTION key.

Continue to hold the Option key down until a graphical menu appears that should show the bootable volumes in your Mac. What does it list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

macintosh HD

Okay, it does indeed sound like you have 10.6.8.

Please try the following and see how far you get;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt.

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

(fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Hopefully it will boot back to your desktop if the procedure completes successfully.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,