Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I have an iMac running on os 10.4.11. It has suddenly become

Customer Question

I have an iMac running on os 10.4.11. It has suddenly become painfully slow. I have tried downloading several apps to allegedly cure the problem, but my downloads failed. I've tried to change my browser from Safari to something else. All those downloads also fail. Can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

If that didn't work, then we can run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command in the screen.

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems a little faster overall, however, loading my emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX is exceedingly slow. Uploading it in html is just fine.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don, Goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk, then Repair Disk and Repair Permission. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything is running faster. However there is a strange whirring noise whenever I have the computer on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
In correcting the slow running, we are now having an unexplained whirring noise when computer is on.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back. The whirring noise might be a CD in the drive. Press and hold the eject button in the top right of your keyboard when the system is booted up. See if a CD ejects.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope. No CD in drive. I put a CD in and ejected it. So it is empty for sure.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
It might be your fans. Place your hand on the back of the iMac and feel around. Is any part of it hot to the touch?

Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Upper middle seems a little hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Upper middle seems a little hot.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it's it likely your fans keeping the system cool. This is perfectly normal. This prevents the system from overheating and turning off. You can manually adjust the fan speed using third party software but this is typically not recommended as you could overheat the system by leaving the fans spinning too low or wear out the fans by spinning them too fast (or for too long). It may have just been a coincidence that you happen to notice it right after doing the cleanup from the previous expert.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you wanted to look into the fan speed software, you can check it out here: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol - please note, this requires an Intel-based Mac to run.

Hope this is helpful!

Best regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think this is a normal whirring sound. My wife noticed it from across the room.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to pinpoint about where the whirring noise if coming from? What corner? Front/back?

Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, not really. It seems to be centrally located, but that's just a guess. Air is coming from the slot in back.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
If you adjust the brightness, does the noise get louder or softer at all?

Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there seems to be no change.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, another thing that can cause this type of noise would be the speakers. Try muting the speakers (using the mute key on the keyboard or use the volume icon in the menubar).

Let me know how this goes.

Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried that and it has no effect could this be attributed to wear and tear on an older computer? I can live with it if I have to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
It is possible. Is your iMac one of these:

graphic

Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks like that one. Here is some data on it: Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4
Serial Number: c00000000

OS is 10.4.11

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thanks. Ok, I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but these models had some power issues wherein the capacitors would actually pop on the board. Now that we determined the actual iMac model, I am 99% sure that is the noise you are hearing. It is likely more of an electrical noise than a whirring, I bet. It is even mentioned in a Wikipedia article because it was so common:

Apple had a repair program to cover these iMacs but the repair program only lasted under a year, I believe. Anyway, because you are hearing this noise, the iMac is likely to go soon. You should try to back up as much as you possibly can and prepare to need a new computer. This could happen today or a month from now - it all depends on when the capacitors decide to go. It is typically not worth trying to fix the iMac as it would require a new motherboard.

Let me know if you need anything else. I hope this information has been helpful.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
If I have been helpful, please be sure to rate the service so that I receive credit for the time spent with you on this. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem solved. My wife suggested shut down the mac, and unplug the power cord for 10 seconds, then restart it.

Not a peep oput ofm it since then.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay sir. Had to go offline since it was very late in here. I'm glad you got it worked. FYI your Mac just needed an SMC Reset to fix the fan issue. You just did the SMC reset by unplugging it from power.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,