Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi,I am unable to use my 2011. Cant save as well as there

Customer Question

I am unable to use my 2011. Cant save as well as there i an error as it show file is not valid and something of dotm missing.I have tried to reinstall but te problem still surface.

Please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 1 year ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, Go to your home folder and then /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Daniel Whelan :

If you cannot see the library folder (depends on which version of OS X you have) hold down the option key and on the finder click "Go" and you will see "Library" appear.

Daniel Whelan :

In the User Templates folder there should only be a Normal.dotm. If there is a Normal.dot also that might be causing the issue

Customer:

hi,i am there and there is no normal.dotm

Daniel Whelan :

So you have an empty "User Templates" folder?

Customer:

yes sir

Daniel Whelan :

Start Word in Safe Mode (hold down Shift Key when opening Word) and do not have any Office programs open. See if it starts and works.

Customer:

cant open as well using the shift key

Customer:

it says :this is not a valid name:try one or more of the following

Customer:

select a file from the list and folder

Customer:

unable to safe any document as well

Daniel Whelan :

Close word. Open word normally, create a blank document called "Normal.dotm" and try and save it in the "User Templates" folder

Customer:

it also say the open file cannot be open because there are problems with the content invalid characters

Customer:

it does not allow me to save any document

Daniel Whelan :

OK, I don't think I can help you so I am going to opt out so another expert can try and solve your problem.

Daniel Whelan :

In 'Save As' window, select 'Word Macro-Enabled Template (.dotm)' under 'Format' drop down. Then click Save and you'll get the .dotm template file

Daniel Whelan :

Try the above with a blank document and try and save the file as Normal.dotm in the "User Templates" folder

Customer:

ok will try now

Customer:

it does not allow me to save it eitehr

Customer:

either

Daniel Whelan :

Select the "User Templates" folder, and on the finder go to file-"get info". in the sharing and permissions it should say you have permission to read and write.

Customer:

yes it say read n write

Daniel Whelan :

Do you have any other user accounts set up on the laptop you can log into?

Customer:

i do not have any other user account on this laptop beside mine

Daniel Whelan :

OK, can you please set up a standard account (you can delete it afterwards) and see if you can use word and save any file?

Customer:

roger

Customer:

cant to anything in the separate account

Daniel Whelan :

OK, Delete the new account. I'm going to opt out now so another expert can try and help you.

Expert:  NewITZone replied 1 year ago.

Please follow the steps

• On the Go menu, click Utilities.
  • Start the Disk Utility program.
  • Click the primary hard disk drive for your computer.
  • Click the First Aid tab.
  • Click Repair Disk Permissions.

Note The Disk Utility program only repairs software that is installed by Apple. This utility also repairs folders, such as the Applications folder. However, this utility does not repair software that is in your home folder

If you are unable to solve the problem from the above instruction then follow--

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Hope it will help you to solve your problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OS x version 10.8.4

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have done..all are in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what else needed to be done as words still not functioning

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so can you open ANY Office apps likes Excel or Powerpoint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i did as u told.still cant save or open any words/powerpoint or excel file

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go here and download the Office 2011 uninstaller. Run it. Then restart the computer and reinstall Office. Let me know after.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have previously did all the uninstaller and reinstall it but still does not work.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you use that exact uninstaller app?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i did and well let try again ..see if works again

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you used that app then did you run the Office Updater after you reinstalled? Can you open the apps but not any files? Can you clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

give me a second..i using ur app to uninstall n reinstall again

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK if you can open any of the Apps after make sure you go to Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done the update.able to open word/excel/powerpoint but unable to save as says nt valid name and also unable to open a direct named file.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the exact error messages please? Can you create a new Word file? Will it let you name and save that file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cant create any file and will not allow me to save either

exact words :

this is not a valid file name

try one of the following

check the path to make sure it was typed correctly

select a file from the lost of files and folder

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok open Word and go to Word / About Word, what is the Version number? What happens when you go to File / New Blank Document in Word?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

microsft word for mac 2011

version 14.3.5(130515)

latest installed 14.3.5

it open but cant save

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you CAN create a new document? I assume it is called Document1 or something like that. Go to File / Save As... navigate to your Documents folder and try to save.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i tried saving every where..document to desktop to thumb drive but it does not allow me to save.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and if i receive a word document.powerpoint or excel file from another party.i cant open up.it will say the open file cannot be opened because there are problems with content or the file name might contain invalid character

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Look on your Desktop. What is the name of your main hard drive?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is only a / . that all

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is the problem, that is not a valid name. Right click on the drive and go to Get Info next to Name & Extension rename it Macintosh HD.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my my...gosh..never knew how the hd disk got change,,,well it works now..such a minor error ...thanks you so so so so much.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!!!