Matthew Gill
Matthew Gill, Computer Science Teacher
Experience:  I've programmed, edited images and video, and extended the Mac experience. I also read several Mac blogs.
74898053

Hi, after upgrading to OSX 10.8.4 from 10.8.3 I got ALL

after upgrading to OSX 10.8.4 from 10.8.3 I got ALL user files and settings wiped out.
Apple could not help me as there is no support in my country.
I can restore most of my data from back-up, but I do not want to do complete restore from SuperDuper as the back-up was done on much earlier version.
I wonder how I can:
restore apps registration from back-up
restore my add-ons on Firefox
restore my messages in Mail if there were not stored on the server.

Thank you!

Matthew Gill :

Hello, I am sorry you are having trouble with the Mac OSX upgrade. I've had similar trouble.

Mount the SuperDuper image using Disk Utility and browse through the contents. Copy desired files over, and then unmount the image. This should restore the files, including the the mail messages. I believe the messages are stored in : ~/Library/Mail/V2

Matthew Gill :

I don't think there is a way to migrate app registration over however. The OSX App Store will have already purchased software (from Apple at least) so you can reinstall from there

Matthew Gill :

Your FireFox addons and extensions should be located in : ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[profile name]/ so a simple copy should work

Matthew Gill :

To clarify, you should copy from the image's directories into the host OS 10.8.4's directories after you've reinstalled the appropriate applications (Firefox)

Customer:

Thanks for your time, Matthew.

Customer:

Unfortunately, I got all this answers before from Internet, I thought you guys as experts would be able to look deeper and forward me toward the fix of the route of the problem.

Customer:

I have a problem in rating your service: I cannot say it was "bad" or "good" as you answered on time. But I did not get the result I was expecting. You, apparently, tried to help, but it did not resolve my issue with missing data. Maybe I put my answer wrong...

Customer:

Anyway, I will pay, but really do not think that it cost $58. So, nothing personal, but I will put "OK". At least, I tested your system and should know what to expect in the future if needed.
Thank you again for atempt.

I am sorry that the overall service was not completely satisfying to you. I would like to attempt to further help you. Personally, I use Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/), it keeps the system synchronized with the backup, and eases the restoration. Also, Time Machine is a fantastic piece of functionality that is also supported by Apple's Geniuses