Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Everything was fine yesterday on my Mac. Today, when I started

Everything was fine yesterday on my Mac. Today, when I started up my computer, my Entourage behaved like I had never been using it, all my saved email folders are gone, address book – all of it. It wants me to start again like I was just setting up for the first time. What in the heck happened? Even the icons in my dock look like old ones. I called Mac office, and they said I had 2008, and they no longer provided support. Seems to me I had updated at some point. All I know is things changed out of nowhere.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today.

The way Mac's work is anytime it detects corruption in the system core files, it corrects itself automatically even if it has to wipe out data which is what happened in your case. Your last hope is Time Machine which can be activated by holding down Command-R during bootup. OS X Recovery should come up giving you Time Machine as an option. Use it to restore the Mac to it's most recent backup. Hopefully it works out for you my friend.

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to know more. The problem yesterday too was that my pop connection was lost too (snow leopard did this too?), so I could not get your reset password XXXXX email and could not try anything in the same session that it seems I have paid for. It was just a flat-out mess yesterday.

Can I continue to get a few more questions answered without being charged again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed the Snow Leopard on Thursday, I think it was, and then the next day, Friday I did all the online updates. Saturday everything worked fine except I kept having to put in my password XXXXX my email. Turns out I was in the wrong account.

Anyway, to restore by Command+R while booting up, I'm not sure if I should choose Friday's or Saturday's. If I did Friday's, I imagine I could just re-do the online updates again afterward?

Also, can I just select to restore Entourage, or would it have to be everything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

How can one back-up saved email folders? Can I actually save them to a thumb drive too?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

My apologies that no one has responded to you.. Before we discuss backing up your emails onto a thumb drive..

Can you verify if your email account is now working in entourage, were you able to recover your old files? is it still asking for your password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was waiting to hear the answers to my questions from you, so had done nothing further. I don't see any answers here to what I most recently asked, so I did call Apple Care. Of course they don't know Entourage, but seem to think that those saved email files of mine should be here somewhere. I did still have all of them on Saturday. I could restore from say, Saturday, and it would take time. They do recommend that I don't restore from before when I installed Snow Leopard.

Does Entourage archive saved emails? Where would I find that if so?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Apple and Microsoft and HP and Dell and all manufacturers are pretty much the same.. If something is wrong with the others guys stuff, your on your own.

Its that attitude that allows 3rd party tech support to thrive, as I cant say, its the other guys fault.. I stand in and fix issues across the board.. That being said.

When were talking about restoring..

Do you have Time machine in place and being used?

Do you have an external hard drive?

It may be best, XXXXX XXXXX and I connect during a screen sharing session, so that I can look over this issue for you, help you try and see if you do have backups, and if so. Help you get them loaded..

Would you have any objectioons to that method of support?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be great, but is there an additional charge?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

No additional charge, that isnt the way our company operates. ( I do realize almost every other service charges a premium for remote support )

And as always, our 100 % satisfaction gurantee applies..

That being said, would you like to try a screen sharing session, or would you rather I try and assist you via email, and via the JustAnswer message interface?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would consent to a screen sharing session.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent,

I am assuming that you have the computer we want to find the files on with you currently?

And also, that you have some time to connect and start the session.

If that is so, then from the mac we want to work on.. I need you to click this link

http://166.78.231.170:8040

for password, type in Entourage

Then, it will try to download and run the connection software.. Make sure if it asks, that you allow, or run, or install the software.

If you get stuck at any point, or dont see the option to allow the software or install / run it.. Please send me a message and dont struggle through the connection process alone.

If you do get connected, please also send a reply here at justanswer, so that I know your connected and so that I can then connect from my end.

Thanks,

Dustin S.

( please wait to rate the service using the icons below, as you and I have not connected yet, or worked on the issue)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Joining your session "wheel" has been spinning for some time. Should I "Click to try another option?"

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Yes..

Lets click try another option.. And when you do.

I need to know if you see anything, that ask you to run, or allow, or install.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client had downloaded, but nothing was asked of me. I clicked on "Click to try another option" and it is "Now trying option 2: Java Web Start."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While that was going on I double-clicked on the download, allowed it, and we now seem to be connected.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

It does seem we are connected.. Please standby while I connect from my end.

If you have anything downloading, such as music or videos.. Please stop any streams or downloads you have going.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing going - you go ahead

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
were connected.

The connection is running very slow

But I have found the backup files.. Its just a matter of restoring them now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you could.. Please click the black and red square icon you have at the bottom toolbar of your mac. to bnring up the chat feature again.

And lets continue our conversation there.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Issues resolved, file backups made,

Your rating below is appreciated!
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment