Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

This is the message Im getting: The backup disk is not available. But

This is the message I'm getting: The backup disk is not available.
But it worked 2 days ago (20 June), and the plugs are in (I've unplugged/replugged), and I've restarted my computer without the backup drive plugged in. When it is plugged in, the light blinks, but it won't backup. Advice, please?? XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information about your issue. Is time machine giving you this error message?

Customer:

When I do "backup now" it says: The backup disk is not available.

Appleologist :

Lets check your backup drive to see if its ok and to see if there is enough hard drive space. Connect your external hard drive if it is not already connected. Then click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

OK - a screen came up -- do I click on Passport?

Appleologist :

Yup. Then choose verify disk

Customer:

OK - says disk needs to be repaired and click repair disk - doing that now

Appleologist :

Yes

Customer:

but there's no "repair disk" option

Customer:

sorry - saw the option at bottom and clicked it

Appleologist :

The button should be right under the verify button

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

the striped line is going - can you stay with me while this happens?

Appleologist :

Of course

Customer:

this is what is says while stripe is running:

Customer:

Verify and Repair volume “Backup2”

Checking file systemVolume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Appleologist :

Is it still going?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, let me know when it is finished.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

fyi - this is what is says for available:

Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,170,585,088 Bytes)

Appleologist :

Under available, what does it say

Customer:

sorry - for capacity

Customer:

available and used are both blank

Customer:

striped line still running

Appleologist :

Hmm that should be blank, Lets wait until it is done to get the actual capacity. It may take a while since you have a large capacity hard drive and depending on the issue it needs to correct

Customer:

ok

Customer:

by the way, just noticed that the lite on the backup isn't blinking -- it's just staying on - is that a good sign? :-)

Appleologist :

The drive is technically in use right now so we will not know for sure until it is done

Customer:

ok

Customer:

still working, and I can't stay with my computer - can I let it keep going and see what happens and contact you when I return?

Appleologist :

Yes you can. Just bookmark our chat so you can get back

Customer:

thanks! bookmark on the top bookmark place or somewhere else? or save and exit?

Appleologist :

Click on Bookmarks in the top menu in safari and then choose Bookmark this page. Make sure it is saved to the bookmark bar so it is easier to find

Appleologist :

Once you have bookmarked the page, you can then choose save and exit

Customer:

OK - thanks! presumably I'll get someone else helping me later this afternoon?

Appleologist :

You are very welcome

Appleologist :

No you will still get me

Appleologist :

:)

Appleologist :

See you sson

Appleologist :

soon

Customer:

Hi - I'm back. You still there? It says it stopped and couldn't do whatever -- somehow I zapped the message, but it said something about needing to back up my files -- but how can I back up my files if the backup disk doesn't work?

Customer:

I just clicked on 'backup falied' and this was the message:

Customer:

Files can’t be copied onto the backup disk because it appears to be read-only.

Appleologist : So disk utility came back with an error and you are unable to complete the repair?
Appleologist : Are all the items in your external drive still on your computer.
Appleologist : It sounds like your external drive needs to be re-formatted or could be failing. Are the items on your external drive still on your computer?
Customer:

I think it's repaired. Thanks for trying to help. Looks like it's backing up now (no failure response so far!). Fingers crossed. Probably should have been more diligent in just following the various links for Time Machine. But that's not your fault. And I hope you get the lion's share of m,y $68.!!

Customer:

:-)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.