Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I use FCP 7 on my new iMac (purchased Jan 2013. The application

I use FCP 7 on my new iMac (purchased Jan 2013.
The application keeps adding a selected video transition (one I am currently using on some clips) to every clip, on all the video and audio clips, ion the Timeline, and I would like to know:
how to prevent it happening, and
How to get rid of them simply after it has happened
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

To delete a particular transition, select the transition and simply press the delete button on your keyboard.

To delete them all, just press Command + F on your keyboard. Then enter the name of the transition (eg Dissolve) and press Delete or Command + Delete

Remember, this is going to delete all selected transitions and even the ones applied by you.

To prevent this happening, we can reset the preferences of FCP to default ones.

In your Mac, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file from there. Then trash the Final Cut Pro User Data folder. Don't empty the trash. This will reset some settings of your FCP. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX press Command + F on my keyboard, where is the cursor supposed to be?

If it is positioned somewhere on the Timeline, doing that causes the Find and Replace window to open and inserting eg "dissolve" in it on the Find line of that window, has no effect when you press Delete or Command + Delete; all it does is delete the last letters of the word Dissolve in that window.

what am I doing wrong?

Hi John, Sorry for the delay. Just select any clip, or click on empty part of timeline and then press Command + F

Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Ashik,

What did work was that after selecting Cmd+ F in the Timeline, I then select ALL in the Find + Replace window, which makes all the selected dissolves appear selected in the Timeline; and then you press delete to delete them.

I also followed your path for preventing the problem happening again automatically, and it remains to be seen if it is indeed prevented from recurring. I hope it will.

Do you know what causes it to have a tendency to reoccur? I never encountered it before on earlier versions of FCP. It must have some trigger, must it not?

All the best

Hi John, Yeah, you have to select All to select them all. Otherwise it only select one by one. I thought that you already did that. Sorry If I didn't mention that before.

I too never encountered this on my FCP, even on latest FCP X. Not sure if it is a feature or bug, but I didn't see this feature before and couldn't find a trigger to activate that feature. It must be a bug too ?!

John, we just reset the preferences and if this is a feature or bug, it is reset now. If you have any problems with FCP, just trash the preferences and that will fix 90% of all FCP problems.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,