Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Is RAM the same as free memory on Mac 10.4.11? How do I find

Is RAM the same as free memory on Mac 10.4.11? How do I find the RAM? Why won't my mac 10.4.11 with safari browser play you tube?
I have 640 MB total memory. It'd be great to have video ability, but I'm "computer illiterate".
Thanks, Mike!
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OS x
Version 10.4.11

Processor: 450 Mhz Power PC G3

Memory: 640 MB

The problem is the age of the computer. It is an old G3 processor and the most recent versions of the Apple operating system as well as the browsers and plugins like Flash will not run on it. Even if you installed the maximun amount of RAM memory it still would not work for certain things like YouTube. Not what you want to hear I know but I'm afraid that is the truth. Sorry.

You need a newer Mac with at least an Intel processor to make YouTube work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the r.a.m. for my mac? Is it the same as free memory?

That depends, there is both free memory that is RAM... you have 640 MB very little by today's standards and there is also free memory that is your hard drive. But that really doesn’t matter in this case because the plugins that need to run on YouTube are only for a Mac with an Intel processor and will not run on a G3 no matter how much "free" memory you have.