Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My macbook pro 13" is interpreting all input as caps, hence

Customer Question

My macbook pro 13" is interpreting all input as caps, hence I cannot log in. Any idea how to cure?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot, as I am not logged in and cannot do that. But I think it is OSX 10.7 Lion. Memory is 256 mb, processor I do not know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried with an extaernal USB keyboard and that worked.

Version is 10.7.1

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory 250 GB

So my conclusion is that it is mechanical, hence fix the keyboard.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok it may just be a faulty keyboard but let's try some things.

This may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, had already done that before asking you. No errors found: "disk appears ok".
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And you Repaired Permissions? Ok if so it seems you were trying to do this but it only registered the Option key. Try this again:

Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had already done that.

Solved the problem this way: Removed the shift keys and cleaned below. Put the keys back! And it works!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok I was getting to that as I said earlier:

"Ok it may just be a faulty keyboard but let's try some things."

I never heard back from you, cleaning would have been my first suggestion after making sure it was not a software issue. Great at least you don’t have to have it replaced.