Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

When I tried to finalize a movie in IMovie, a popup appeared

When I tried to finalize a movie in IMovie, a popup appeared saying "unable to prepare project for publishing because an error occurred (file already open with write permission). I just had a terabyte installed on my computer thinking it did not have enough space and that was the problem, but when I tried to finalize the project the popup appeared again. What do you suggest that I do?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Ok, that was a good move installing a terabyte drive.
One question is what speed is the drive, 5400 or 7200 RPM? Faster is better.
Quit iMovie before doing these.

One thing I can suggest right off is repairing permissions, this PDF explains it.

Repairing Permissions

Then try a pram reset, it clears many faults and will help performance.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Do those two and try it again, then let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I restarted my computer and held down the option, command R and P for 4 times and then registered. But I lost you to know what else to do. I do not want to work with you on my IPhone so how do I get the rest of the answer? Is there a phone number I can call to get you or how can I get you on my Mac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you told me to do, then had to go back to IMovie to try to finalize the project which took 3 hours so I went to bed. I still have the same problem as the popup reoccurred and said "unable to prepare project for publishing because an error occurred (file already open with write permission). What does it mean that file is already open with write permission and how can I solve this problem?

I have paid my $58 and if you cannot resolve my problem who can help me?

That was only the first step.
Sometimes it is enough and sometimes not.
Are you using Time Machine or other backup software?

Virginia, you can get to me with this question by typing this URL into the address bar of your browser.

I know it is long, you could also send it to yourself in an email and then just click it.
That would be what I would do if I were on my iPhone.