John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Can you please explain how to transfer applications from a

Can you please explain how to transfer applications from a desktop computer to a laptop? I transferred my Itunes library, but the applications did not transfer with the music. Thank you.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Unfortunately, applications/programs cannot be transfered (only files/data, such as documents, pictures, library/music files, etc., can be transferred), but it's easy to reinstall applications. For example, you can download and install the iTunes application at the website below:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you need any other application, please let me know. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why would I need to download itunes? I already have it on both computers. What about "Transfer Purchases" or "Home Sharing?"

I'm sorry, when you say applications, it means iTunes, or Safari, etc.

Did you use an external USB hard drive to transfer the content in the ~/Music/iTunes/ folder from the desktop to the laptop yet?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No apologies necessary. My fault. Yes, I transferred my Itunes library to a flash drive, and then to my desktop.

So you've transferred to the similar folder on the laptop right?

Can you see the external drive section at the website below? It provides all the steps:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Let me know if you are stuck at any step. Thank you
Please see the link above. The main thing is:

1. On the new laptop, open iTunes application.
  2. From the Store menu, choose Authorize This Computer.
  3. Enter your Apple ID and password. Then, click the Authorize button.
  4. Connect your device your computer. If it is synced with another iTunes library, you may be asked if you want to "Erase and Sync" or "Transfer Purchases."
  5. If that alert appears, click Transfer Purchases.
    Important: Clicking Erase and Sync will delete any existing content currently on your device. The content would then be replaced with the content that is on the computer.
  6. If you were not offered the option to transfer purchases:
    • After connecting your device to the computer, its icon appears in iTunes. Click the icon.
    • From the File > Devices menu, choose "Transfer Purchases from 'Your device name.'"
      choose transfer purchases

Please let me know if you are stuck at any step. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Per #4,

1. Connect your device your computer. If it is synced with another iTunes library, you may be asked if you want to "Erase and Sync" or "Transfer Purchases." What device are we talking about?

The external hard drive that you've transfered the music files from the desktop. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, you're talking about my flash drive then? I've already transferred the itunes library from the flash drive to the laptop. So that I understand you correctly, you want me to re-insert the flash drive, and follow the above steps?

I'm sorry, please just authorize the computer, then since you've already transferred to the computer, can you only follow the steps from the External drive section from the website I provided you previously?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, here's we are are: After transferring my desktop's itunes library to my laptop, via a usb flash drive, I opened itunes and worked with it to ensure all was kosher. I resumed, per your instructions, to step four. I received no alert boxes, nor could I find, under the itunes' finder menu, an option entitled "Transfer Purchases..." You are a Mac advisor, right? Your are referring to things that seemingly don't exist with my software.

Yes. Sorry, the transfer purchases option is for transferring from ipod or ipad or iphone etc. So you've transferred and followed the steps for external drive but it does not work. I'm sorry. Let me open the issue to other experts. Thank you.

Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you describe the exact problem you are having currently in a little more detail, please?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really having a problem; I just need advice on transferring my application purchases from my desktop to my laptop. Do you have access to my earlier dialogue?

Hi. Yes I do but the nature of the issue wasn't clear. Is it your mobile app purchases within iTunes that you would like to recover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to transfer my Itunes store app purchases from my desktop to my laptop.

Okay, what was the folder that you transferred previously from desktop to laptop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The itunes folder that resided in my "pictures" location.

The iTunes folder normally resides in the Music folder and not Pictures.

If you've copied it to the laptop, it should really go in the Music folder, as well.

However, if the apps are the only issue you have then you can also re-download content free of charge:

Now, open iTunes

Click the "Store" option in the menubar and choose "Authorize this Computer..." and supply the Apple ID and password XXXXX used to purchase/download any lost music and apps.
Next, select the iTunes Store. Sign in with the same Apple ID and Password, if you are not already.

In the iTunes Store, you should see a Quick Links sidebar at the right side of the page. Look for the "Purchased" option and click it.

On the Purchased page, you will see a toggle near the top-right of the page labeled as "All | Not In My Library". Select "Not In My Library".

Under Music, select "All Songs" from the listing at the left and then click "Download All" in the bottom right.

Repeat the above for "TV Shows", "Apps", and "Books"; making the appropriate choices as applicable.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry