David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I had a series of Qs & As and thought I had my problem solved,

I had a series of Q's & A's and thought I had my problem solved, but now find out I didn't.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What is listed exactly in the left hand side in Disk Utility?

It could be one that is there.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This time when I clicked on disk utility it listed the USB device. I will continue to follow your earlier suggestions and see what happens.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gordon,

No problem. You don't need to accept on this question. You could have continued on the other one, sorry if that wasn't made clear.

We can continue in this one now to save any confusion. If you have any questions let me know here.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to be recording now, but the file size takes awhile. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be here to reply if needed.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I got the data onto the USB but when I put it in the other computer - a laptop - I can't seem to get it to down load. What now?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The problem is not the same as before, is it? You should now be able to connect the USB disk and see it under Devices, which is on the left in the Finder window.

If that does not look correct to you, click the Apple menu in the top left, and click About This Mac.

What version of OS X do you have on the laptop?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The laptop has version 10.7.5

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Finder icon on the Dock, and click the Go menu at the top.

The Go menu is to the right of the Apple in the top left.

Click Computer.

What do you see in that window?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see epson, 2 Flash Players, ALsetup, Macintosh HD, Network, Remote disc, and 2 Untitled 1.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Of those, double click the one's that have disk icons and open them to look for the data that you transferred from the original computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only one with a disc icon is "remote disc" and it shows nothing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible the I erased the data when I closed the download from the original computer by hitting "cancel"?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

To go back a step, I mean a Disk icon like the Macintosh HD, or a volume type icon. Not a circular disk.

Can you see the files in any of the other icons, when you to the Go -> Computer menu?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, all but the 2 "untiled 1" and network and remote disc.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Then right click on each one of those and click Get Info.

Which one's say Kind: Volume ?

Check all of the icons under Computer.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David, I thank you for trying to assist me today, but I have had a very trying day, and I will now quit for the night.

Thanks again.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Speak to you when ready, just let me know.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David

I was exporting my show and when I came in to check on progress, I had a message - Job could not be competed, OSStatus error.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gordon,

None of the troubleshooting we mentioned before touched on exporting problems.

Can you give a bit more detail?

If it's a separate issue there is no need for a new question, we can still use this thread as the new question thread, and the old one is still there.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was trying to burn it again for more detail, and it wouldn't stop after it got to the end of the file. In trying to stop it, my daughter who does this all the time through her work, inadvertently hit cancel, so now we have started over. Is there a way to stop the export without hitting cancel?

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gordon,

From what software is the data being exported, and are you trying to burn a disc?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The data is being exported from iPhoto - it is a slideshow with music. I am trying to get it on a USB so that it can go onto a laptop.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

So the data you were originally trying to transfer, is from iPhoto on the original Mac.

What version of iPhoto is it? Click the iPhoto menu and About iPhoto.

Then when you know what version, restart the Mac and begin the process, and let me know what is the first stage you are unsure of.

Sincerely,
David.

Sincerely,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2(424).

I just restarted the Mac before I again started the export. When it reaches the end of the 635 pictures in the slideshow, I want to be able to stop the export at that point.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

If you want the originals instead of the slideshow, use File -> Export and save onto the USB disk.

If you want just the slideshow, select it and click File -> Export.

Let me know how that goes

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is going fine using export, but you didn't tell me how to stop the export at the end of the slides.

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I didn't say anything about that, because I had to work out what way you were trying and suggest the best way if you need the original photos too. The way you were trying is intended for discs, that go into a DVD burner in the Mac, not to USB key.

I hope this is OK, let me know if there are any questions at all.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume from your last response that I would be better off transferring the original slides using USB and then create the slide show on the laptop, is that correct?

Gordon

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

This would be by far the best thing to do. If you create new iLife projects on the laptop, you can work with the original image size. Transferring by other methods doesn't give the same flexibility.

Just exporting the files, transferring using USB, and dragging the files from USB to iPhoto on the new laptop is the right way to go about it.

Sharing from iPhoto using other methods is usually the last step, so access to the original data is not a problem. Transferring for work on another machine is better done with the original data.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Yours sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I wish we had gotten to that last response sooner, but such is life. Thank you for your help and your patience.

Gordon