David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

How do I get a mac laptop to down load from a pny that was

How do I get a mac laptop to down load from a pny that was loaded from a mac desktop?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What is the pny you are referring to? What type of device is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a USB 8GB

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you connect the USB disk into the laptop it mounts and appears in Finder.

Click the Finder icon on the Dock, do you see a new Finder window?

Do you see Devices list on the left, and can you see the USB device?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have found the USB device, but cannot get it to respond

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you click on it once, you should see the contents on the right. If you are looking at the icon for it, double click it.

If it is not responding, and there is a colored pinwheel, right click it and click eject.

Then connect it to the original computer it got the data from, and check if it works oak there.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not responding on the original computer either.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Then we should erase the USB disk, put the data from the original machine on it again, and transfer to the new Mac.

On the old Mac, do you still have the data you need to transfer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have the old data. How do I erase the USB disk?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Open Finder, then go to Applications. Then open the Utilities folder.

Double click Disk Utility.

Select the USB disk on the left.

Click the Partition tab.

Click Partition Scheme, and change it from Current to One Partition.

Click Options, and set it to GUID.

Type a name in the name field, and set format to Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Click Apply, and when it is done, quit Disk Utility.

Now go to the data you want to transfer, and copy it onto the USB disk.

Safely eject it, by right clicking and selecting Eject.

Then connect to the new Mac.

From there it should be possible to transfer the data you need.

If this is not the end of troubleshooting, please don't select a rating yet.

Instead get back to me to let me know how you are doing with those steps.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified