Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Hi!My father (85 years old) has helt on to Eudora for ever.

Hi!

My father (85 years old) has helt on to Eudora for ever. Now he needs to change his mac and eudora is not supported (i undestand). Is it possible to pay someone to convert his complete Eudora mailbox to Apple mail? And if so how do we do it and what would it cost. The mails are in norwegian, by the way.

Thanks for answer,
Monna (concerned daughter)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your email issues today!

Hello Monna, It is indeed possible to import his old eudora mail into a newer program..

Before we attempt doing so, I need to gather some information about your fathers computer..

And also about the new computer he wants to put all his old mail onto.

Lets start with the older mac.. Does eudora stil work on it, and is all his mail still visible? If so.. Do you know what version of mac os he has on it.. 10.6 10.7 ( snow leoaprd, lion )

If your not sure, this should help fiind out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1633

Also, the new computer.. I will need to know if it is also a mac, and if so.. will need to know what version it is.. ( the same link will help find out )

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1633

I look forward to your responses as time permits Mona,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! We are on different time, so dont worry if responses are a bit slow :-)

I will get the exact info from my father.
I know the old runs os9 with all the eudora mail visible.

The new is a 13´´ powerbook with 10.6, but i dont know the exact version. Will find out.

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Monna!

Are you certain that his mac runs OS 9 ?

As that was released in 1999 .. Its quite , ancient.. Can you verify that it is just os 9.

And not that its 10.4.9 or something to that nature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are right!

The old Mac (I dont know the exact hardware name, but an old Powerbook with G4 processor). It runs 10.4.11. and his Eudora version is 6,2 (i think).

The new one runs 10.6.8 and is a Mac Book pro 7.1.

My father needs just the mails, he has all the attachements under control. Its about 200Mb og mail.

Does this help?

I was thinking maybe we could just put the file with all the Eudora mails in it in a dropbox or something and if it is possible get a Mac mail "database"/folder back?

I just need to know if t is possible and a price

:-)monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

It is entirely Possible Monna.. There a program called Eduora Mailbox cleaner.. Which we could run on the Old mac with 10.6.8 ( Called Snow Leaopard )

The Eudora mailbox cleaner, would transfer all his mail and contacts from Eudora.. Into the mac mail app.

Then, we could export the mail from Mac mail.. and then import it all into Mac mail on the New computer.. ( Since mac mail will be the new system hes going to be using to access his email, it makes sense to put all his eudora email there, and then setup his email account with mac mail )

As far as price.. You have already set the price.. ( I cant see what that is on my end ) But to see the price you set, when logged into this justanswer account, at the top right click my account.. And then on the left it should show the deposit amount you made, and also for this question on the my question page.. You should see the question value )

For the proce you set, I can happily walk you through all the steps needed to accomplish the mail transfer.

Or.. If you would like me to connect to your Fathers two computers.. Transfer the mail out of Eudora.. And then transfer the mail Into the new computer, and then also setup his mac mail ( with his old emails, and also connect his current email account to the program )

That could be done via a remote support session..

Though in reality, it would take 2 screen sharing sessions.. ( As I would have to first connect to computer A, export all the mail , And then connect a second time to computer B, and import the mail, and setup the email account )

Considering the time and labor, this is something I can do and would be willing to do.. Normally, considering the extra time involved with working on two computers, I would state that a bonus or tip is always welcome, for a job once it is completed successfully..

So from here, what we need to decide is would you rather I guide you through these steps via email.

Or would you rather that I connect to your fathers Mac computers directly from here.. And perform the steps myself..

Thanks Monna, and will look forward to your replies.

Dustin S.

( please wait to rate the service for now.. As of yet, we have not solved the issue.. Thank you )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to dicuss with my father, but i think the best thing would be for you to to it. The old computer is a 10.4.11, vold the cleaner work there to? Do you forsee any language problems? We have three characters you dont have. I dont know if you can see them when I type them here, but they are æ,ø and å.

I will happly pay for the advice up to now (thank you!), but please give me an indication for a fair price if you do it with the remote sessions. I have no clue as to how long time and the going hourly rate. I will just have to trust you :-).

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The cleaner will work on any version of mac past 10.2 .. So it will work on 10.4 without too much issue.. As far as the language barrier.. That may slow things down some, because I am used to reading the menus in my native Tongue ( english ). Though generally speaking, the menus will be the same.. It would help to have someone present on the computer, who spoke both your native tongue and mine.. But that isnt an absolute neccesity, Ive made due before by using google translator online .

As far as the Keyboard and characters, since we will be transferring mail in your native language, to another computer using the same native language, the vocabulary and alphabet of the mail and messages will remain in tact...

I dont foresee this taking more then.. 30 minutes on the original mac.. And 30 minutes on the Newer mac. To get everything in order.. Though it may take as much as 15 minutes to get connected to each...

It may take me longer, but if it does that will be due to my own inability to quickly translate some of the menus.. ( and it would not be fair for me to include that in an estimate )

I can stand firm on this quote, if you were to add an additional 75 % of the original value you set.. If that were to be added as a bonus after I successfully completed the transfer.. Then I feel that would be fair to each of us.. And if it should take longer , that price wont increase... ( As I stated before, any extra time it would take, would be due to my own translation skills )

I will look forward to your next reply.. And my apologies for the delay in getting back to you, the message arrived close to my lunch time and I have just stepped back in in order to read, and reply to your message.

Thank you Monna,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dustin,

No problem with the delay, this is something which has been an issue for my father for years so an hour or a day or two more wont matter.

Yor quote is very reasonable, so what I need to do now it to get my father with me on this. I am not at the same place as he is right now, but I will mail him and see him this week. So I suggest that I dont close this question, but get back to you as soon as he is ready. Than we can set a time when we are both awake and I can be at both machines for the time you need. I expect that will be on one of the weekdays next week, probably midday/early afternoon for you which is after work for me.

This will be of great help I hope and i promise to bonus you as suggested or more :-).

Is that ok?

:-)monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a good plan Monna, Laughing

I realize that this is going to take some time for everything to be set up, for both computers to be in the same place also.. And I agree, we should leave this question open , as of now were in a touch and go situation.

If you can, please try to send a reply once each day, as that will keep this question open and availale in the system. ( Myself, I wont be able to reply after this has been inactive for 24 hours, so as long as you reply, I can reply to you! )

I appreciate your candor and your outlook and patience so far, and Im not sure on what day "Fathers day" is in Norway, But surely your's Father is a very proud papa.

Take care, and I look forward to hearing from you more as we get closer to setting up our connection.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dustin!

On the "department of strage stories" my father was at one point calles "the father of internet in Norway" as he initiated the Arpanet here. I think the University of Oslo was the third Arpanet node or thereabouts after MIT and Honolulu (this might be inacurate). Anyhow, he was an ardent enthusiast for networks among academics and went from being a theoretical Physist to the head of the IT department in the early days of computing in the 60´s and 70´s.

Now his facutlies are slipping, but Mac, Iphone, Ipad - enad Eudroa - are things he is holding on to. It is the most natural thing in the world to want to help him. Being Internets sister in Norway and all ;-)

Will check in regularly. Have a great egening,

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Wow, what a close knit world we find ourselves in.. Thank you for sharing what is truly an interesting retelling of your connection to that time in history. Norway was the first country outside the States to connect to the Arpanet, your father played an interesting and integral role in helping to develop the internet and the modern world as we know it.

I wonder if he takes a certain pride in having shared a hand in creating some of the early technology, that would later lead to a technician in another country being able to transfer files from between two of his computers, from a connection several thousand miles away..

I look forward to hearing from you, and I realize its getting somewhat late in Norway but I hope you have also enjoyed your evening, and weekend.

farvel,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again!

Nice comments - its a small world.

The service has just closed down our conversation and I have contacted cust.service to open it again. I try this now to see if it still works. I have spoken to my father who thinks this is a very good solution, so all we have to do now is set a time. For me all eveings (which is days your time) exept tuesday is fine. Ca you give me a time which is good for you? After 18:00 hours Oslo time would be graeat!

Best regards,

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Monna, conversations will time out once they hit a certain age, and when they go so long without a reply from either party.. I do see your message, and Im happy to hear that your father is in agreement with you about how to proceed.

As far as the Times you mentioned, they work well for me also.. Your evenings work very well for me as thats the middle of my work day..

Any day you mentioned, Monday, and then Wednesday through Friday would all be workable.. I will let you decide what day is best for you and would best fit your schedule..

Thank you for keeping in contact,

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Monna, I didnt hear from you today.

You may not see this till the morning, as its a little late your time.

But hows tommorow looking for a meetup after 1800 Oslo time?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I was trying to answer you, but kept getting "access denied". Happened when I tried to get to the homepage too, but now I am finally getting through (tried to reply to the mail-alert, but that has obviously not worked either).

Anyway: Tomorrow is difficult, but is it possible to do the converting and transfer thursday 18:30 my time? Then I have time to get from work and pick up my fathers Macs. Sorry I didn't mail you yesterday, just all kind of things got in the way). If thursday is not good we try tomorrow...

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thursday your time , sounds good to me..

Thank you for responding Monna, and I will alert the engineers that there is somethin wrong with the site today, that was causing you difficulties in replying.

If it turns out thursday is no good for you, please send a reply when you can and let me know.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will, but I am pretty sure thursday will work,

:-)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Excellent!

I will make sure to have my schedule free for a block of time before and after Thursday, 1830 Oslo time.. Look forward to connecting with you then.

Dustin S

( not trying to spam message you, but its company policy that I reply last in each conversation )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to bother you with another reply then - just to make sure we can connect: You can reach me onXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if some stupid technical problem turns up...

And you dont need a long reply to this one,

;-)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Unfortately Monna, our system blocks out any email addresses for privacy concerns. ( also, were only allowed to communicate through the website itself. )

If you run into any issues replying when the time comes, you can always use my profile link to start a new question. And once i see its you I can have the new question closed and refunded.. ( but only if you absolutely cannot get a reply to me through our normal interface )

below is my profile link, just in case..

"""In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/ ""
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Monna,

Just checking back in with you.. About this time tommorow I believe is when we had decided to connect?

Before connecting, I just wanted to run over a brief overview of our goals for the session, and some of the steps we will need to take to accomplish them.

*Goals:

1. Transfer all current and past mail & contacts from your fathers older mac, into mac mail. Export contacts and mail from mac mail, to get them ready to be transfered to the new mac.
  2. Using a service such as drop box, or using a usb flash drive or other portable media, we will transfer the files from Mac 1 to Mac 2.
  3. Import all contacts and mail into Mac 2. Ensure that Mac 2 is properly connected to your fathers email accounts, and that it can send and receive mail, and access all messages that were previously stored in eudora on mac 1.

*Possible difficulties.

1. Initially, we may run into some setup issues getting Mac 1 to install the screen connection software and make the connection. Nothing that cant be worked through, but this may slow down our initial progress while we attempt to connect.
  2. Once connected, I may decide to change Mac 1's language temporarily to english, as this will facilitate my ability to perform the neccesary steps in a timely manner.
  3. We may also run into some difficulties in connecting Mac 2, to the screen share software. We should be able to work through any possible issues rapidly though, as we will both be familiar with the process after having set up mac 1.

Im going to estimate about 2 hours time involved for us both, from the point at which we sit down with both macs present, and start the initial attempt to connect mac 1. It may not take the full two hours, indeed it could take half that time. But I want to allow that much time in case we do run into the connection issues that I mentioned.

Other then that Monna, I hope your week is going well, and I hope your having a lovely evening this Summer in Norway.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds perfect!

As teenagers go my son decided it was about time to inform me today of the formal spectacle for finishing collage (I dont know what you call it, but is is the usual speches, handing over of diplomas itc.) - tomorrow. I am really sorry and wonder if it would be a problem for you to to it friday instead.

You pick the time anytime between 18 and 23 my time. If this is difficult I can be back and by the macs at appr. 20.30-21:00 tomorrow if that works for better for you.

And just so you are aware (i have informed support your end):I keep getting access denied most of the time. Sgain if you you should, but dont hear from me just mail me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX as I might not get throught to you.

Rain today, hope wherever you are in the US is better,

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Its a very sunny day here today In northern Indiana, not far from the shore of Lake Michigan. ( and a short hop to Chicago )

Friday, would be absolutely fine Monna.. And Im going to be online and id like to get started as close to 1800 your time, as we can.. ( in case it does take two hours, I dont want to keep you up all night, or, prevent you from enjoing your friday evening too much )

I will also message support, and let them know the issue is still happening..

Thanks Monna,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great - i will be as fast as I can and tell you as soon as I am in. If you dont hear anything before 18, please e-mail me. I have tried to get into the system appr. 20 times before finally now. Not at all frustrated with you, but a bit with the system...

Logging out for today, but I know you have to reply - will ignore ;-)

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

I will definitely email you a little before hand, just to let you know that I am indeed here, and nothing major came up..

I hope that you enjoy the Graduation ceremonies tommorow,

Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Monna,

Its Friday, and I wanted to check in with you. I realize, your probably not home or setup and ready for our session as of yet, and thats ok.

I just wanted to let you know that I am here, and that from my end, we are still a go for today.

( hopefully, you dont have as many website difficulties with replying today )

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Finally - have been trying to log on for the last half hour.

Please mail me if I dont resond quickly from now on - I am right here, just getting "access denied" whatever pages I try on your site.

How do we proceed? My fathers Macs are right beside me

:-)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. From your fathers mac.. We want to get it online.

Then, go to this webpage.

Join.me ( thats actually the webpage name , join.me )

On that page, click the oroange triangle next to, start meeting.. ( you will be creating the connection on your end , which I will be connectiing to )

If it asks, please use the free version.

It will allow you to download the small join me software. Once downloaded, double click it to install the join me software..

Once installed, the join me software will allow you to create a connection... Once created, it will let you make a connection code.. I need you to send me that connection code here, so that I can connect to you.

That being said, as far as the reply issues you have been having.. You should be able to view my responses in the email account you have connected to just answer.

And you should be able to reply through your email as well.

If you run into any issues creating the connection.. Please let me know.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Error on the old mac version of OSX.

I am answering on his new mac now. Still huge problems with www.justanswer.com. Errorrmessages all the time (access denied) an all three macs and all browsers.

Please remember to mail meXXX@XXXXXX.XXX ogXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if I dont respond. Tried support too, but nothing from them.

Still hopeful,

.-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies that support never responded to you.. Thats highly unusual..

Also, I cant see your email address, as the website blocks it out as xxxxxxxxxx when you send it ..

That being said..

What error did you get on the older mac when you went to join.me ?

Were you able to download and install the softare?

Lets try to go to join me on your computer, or your fathers newer computer.. As long as we can get one connected..

then we can talk in live chat, and work on getting the other one connected together.. ) without you having to deal with the website delay and page failures your getting )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is from my dads NEW computer (where joinme works)

https://join.me/527-285-131

Finally!

:-)Monna

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Were connected Monna.

Trying to get mac 1 connected.. ( mac 2 is already connected )

No need to reply to this, I just wanted to stop the clock from building on my response times .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Monna.. Please dont feel you need to respond to this.. This is just a close up for the remote session we did.

We were able to get connected to one mac. ( the older one didnt want to connect)

We were able to find the correct eudora folder..

Then, move it onto the new mac.. Import all the old mail.

And then, we were able to import the eudora address book, into the mac address book.

We were also able to get the email account active and working with mac mail.

If you run into any further issues, or have any questions.

Please let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment