Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My Entourage database crashed. I cant find the root folder

Customer Question

My Entourage database crashed. I can't find the root folder for my emails. I need them up (or at least be able access them) for work asap! I tried to rebuild my database but it continuously gets stuck at Step 4/5 "Copying records to new database". Help please!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.6.8

2.66GHz

8GB DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Verify disk is ok.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Repair Permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you have done that..... do you have any backup like Time Machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a backup, but nothing up to date. Most recent backup was over a year ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok you should always have a current backup for instances like this. When you say it "get's stuck" what do you mean exaclty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course I should, unfortunately I don't. I get to step 4 of the rebuild process (copying database) and it just runs for ages and then quits unexpectedly with an error message saying "Entourage Disk Utility quit unexpectedly > send Error report, etc."

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok I say that because it seems your database is corrupted at this point. Go to Macintosh HD / Users / yourusername / Library / Preferences and drag com.microsoft.entourage.plist to the trash, restart then open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates. If all is up to date try rebuilding the database again:

hold down the Option key and open Entourage, this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, rebuild the database then quit when done and open Entourage.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Of course install any updates if they are needed first.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Why did you rate me "Poor Service"? I assume the rebuild is still not working?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
We all learn the hard way at some point to keep at least ONE good backup. You just got your lesson. Sorry about your situation but I don't think it is fair for you to take it out on me and my livelihood, it is not my fault. I was just trying to help you. Good luck.